Reload this Page >

Criterion Collection July Titles

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-16-07, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

392. Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara SRP: $79.95

The existential ghost story Pitfall, the shocking erotic fable Woman in the Dunes, and the sci-fi–tinged nightmare The Face of Another are three of cinema’s most enduring enigmas and rare treats, from one of its greatest artists. A man of many faces, Hiroshi Teshigahara was not just a Japanese new wave trailblazer, a Kafka of the moving image, but also a painter, sculptor, flower arranger, designer of gardens and tearooms, and director of operas and Noh plays. And these three atmospheric portraits remain the quintessential expressions of his lifelong fascination with the perils of identity and the horrors of isolation.

SPECIAL FOUR-DISC SET FEATURES INCLUDE:

New, restored high-definition digital transfers

Video essays on all three films by critic and festival programmer James Quandt

Four short films by Hiroshi Teshigahara: Hokusai (1953), Ikebana (1956), Tokyo 1958 (1958), and Ako/White Morning (1963)

A new documentary about the working relationship beween Teshigahara and Kobo Abe, including interviews with Japanese-film scholars Donald Richie and Tadao Sato

PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by James Quandt, Howard Hampton, Audie Bock, and Peter Grilli and Max Tessier’s 1964 interview with Teshigahara

393. Pitfall

When a miner leaves his employers and treks out with his young son to become a migrant worker, he finds himself moving from one eerie landscape to another, intermittently followed (and photographed) by an enigmatic man in a clean, white suit, and eventually coming face to face with his inescapable destiny. Hiroshi Teshigahara’s debut feature and first collaboration with novelist Kôbô Abe, Pitfall is many things: a mysterious, unsettling ghost story, a portrait of human alienation, and a compellingly surreal critique of soulless industry, shot in elegant black-and-white.

394. The Face of Another

A staggering work of existential science fiction, The Face of Another dissects identity with the sure hand of a surgeon. Okuyama (Yojimbo’s Tatsuya Nakadai), after being burned and disfigured in an industrial accident and estranged from his family and friends, agrees to his psychiatrist’s radical new experiment: a face transplant, created from the mold of a stranger. As Okuyama is thus further alienated from the strange world around him, he finds himself giving in to his darker temptations. With unforgettable imagery, Teshigahara’s film explores both the limits and freedom in acquiring a newfound persona, and questions the notion of individuality itself.

395. Woman in the Dunes

One of the sixties' great international art-house sensations, Woman in the Dunes was for many the grand unveiling of the surreal, idiosyncratic worldview of Hiroshi Teshigahara. Eija Okada plays an entomologist who has left Tokyo to study an unclassified species of beetle that resides in a remote, vast desert; when he misses his bus back to civilization, he is persuaded by villagers to spend the night in the home of a young widow (Kiyoko Kishida) who lives in a hut at the bottom of a sand dune. What results is one of cinema’s most bristling, unnerving, and palpably erotic battles of the sexes, as well as a nightmarish depiction of everyday Sisyphean struggle, for which Teshigahara received an Academy Award nomination for Best Director.

396. Ivan's Childhood SRP: $29.95

The debut feature from the great Andrei Tarkovsky, Ivan’s Childhood is an evocative, poetic journey through the shadows and shards of one boy’s war-torn youth. Moving back and forth between the traumatic realities of WWII and the serene moments of family life before the conflict began, Tarkovsky’s film remains one of the most jarring and unforgettable depictions of the impact of violence on children in wartime.

New, restored high-definition digital transfer

Video appreciation of filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky and Ivan’s Childhood, featuring Vida T. Johnson, coauthor of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue New video interviews with cinematographer Vadim Yusov and actor Nikolai Burlyaev

New and improved English subtitle translation

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dina Iordanova and new translations, by Robert Bird, of "Between Two Films," Andrei Tarkovsky’s essay about Ivan’s Childhood, and "Ivan’s Willow," a poem by the director's father, Arseny Tarkovsky

397. Ace in the Hole SRP: $39.95

One of the most scathing indictments of American culture ever produced by a Hollywood filmmaker, Academy Award–winner Billy Wilder’s Ace in the Hole is legendary for both its cutting social critique and its status as a hard-to-find cult classic. Kirk Douglas gives the fiercest performance of his career as Chuck Tatum, an amoral newspaper reporter caught in dead-end Albuquerque who happens upon the story of a lifetime—and will do anything to ensure he gets the scoop. Wilder’s follow-up to Sunset Boulevard is an even darker vision, a no-holds-barred exposé that anticipated the rise of the American media circus.

Audio commentary by film scholar Neil Sinyard

Portrait of a "60% Perfect Man": Billy Wilder, a 1980 documentary featuring in-depth interviews with Wilder by film critic Michel Ciment

Excerpts from a 1986 appearance by Wilder at the American Film Institute

Excerpts from an audio interview with co-screenwriter Walter Newman

Theatrical trailer

PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film critic Molly Haskell and filmmaker Guy Maddin

398. Les Enfants terribles SRP: $39.95

Writer Jean Cocteau and director Jean-Pierre Melville joined forces for this elegant adaptation of Cocteau’s immensely popular, wicked novel about the wholly unholy relationship between a teenage brother and sister. Elisabeth (a remarkable Nicole Stéphane) and Paul (Edouard Dermithe) close themselves off from the world by playing an increasingly intense series of mind games with the people who dare enter their clandestine world—until romance and jealousy intrude. Melville’s operatic camera movements and Cocteau’s perverse, poetic approach to character merge in Les enfants terribles to create one of French cinema's greatest, and most surprising, meetings of the minds.

Audio commentary by writer, film critic, and journalist Gilbert Adair

Interviews with producer Carole Weisweiller, actors Nicole Stéphane and Jacques eBrnard, and assistant director Claude Pinoteau

Around Jean Cocteau (2003), a short video by filmmaker discussing Cocteau and Melville's working relationship

Theatrical trailer

Gallery of behind-the-scenes stills

PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Gary Indiana and an excerpt from Rui Nogueira’s Melville on Melville

Last edited by starecase; 04-16-07 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 05:20 PM

I gladly will always welcome more Melville. Can't believe we'll already be up to spine 400 in August...
Old 04-16-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will purchase every single one of those titles.

Criterion has been having one helluva great year.
Old 04-16-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just three letters:

WOW.
Old 04-16-07, 06:13 PM

Wonderful. Just wonderful.
Old 04-16-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll probably pick up Ace In the Hole, but I'm disappointed that the Teshigahara films are ones that I already own. Where's the Ruined Map?
Old 04-16-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Ace in the Hole at last.

I'm crying real tears...
Old 04-16-07, 07:08 PM

That cover art for Ivan's Childhood is badass!

I'm not liking the art on Ace In The Hole though. Hopefully this is just a temp cover.
Old 04-16-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ACE IN THE HOLE is an instant purchase ....and will probably eventually pick up the other July titles.
Old 04-16-07, 08:17 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Ace in the Hole. [sigh] Finally.

And the list of extras looks great too.
Old 04-16-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As always, I'll eventually get all of these. I've never seen a Teshigahara film, but they sound damn interesting.
Old 04-16-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll eventually pick these up I'm sure, but for now, none of those are must haves for me.
Old 04-16-07, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I've never seen a Teshigahara film, but they sound damn interesting.
You're in for a treat then. Though he's not for everyone, Teshigahara, along with Shohei Imamura, is just as interesting, if not more so, than the more conventional Japanese directors like Ozu and Kurosawa, in my opinion.
Old 04-16-07, 09:52 PM
Banned

I'm getting Ivan's Childhood and Les Enfants Terribles for sho'!
Old 04-16-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WOWWWWWWW!!!!!

Woman in the Dunes!!!! FINALLY!!!!! And Criterion to boot! THANK YOU GOD!

I haven't seen this film since college and it is my favorite book as well. When I saw it in college (projected) it was so dark it was almost unwatchable. What an absolute treat!

Thrilled about Ivan's Childhood and more Cocteau as well. WHAT A GREAT DAY!
Old 04-16-07, 10:52 PM

"Ace in the Hole", without question! The others looks awfully tempting as well...
Old 04-17-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I've been waiting SO long to see "Ace," I had no idea it was going to be a Criterion. This is one of the big Billy Wilder films I've never seen.
Old 04-17-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Prolly gonna get them all even though I already own the 2 MOC Tegishara's. Great month.
Old 04-17-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Holy shit!
Old 04-17-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ACE IN THE HOLE! Finally! This is easily my most-wanted DVD ever. Ever!
Old 04-17-07, 02:01 PM

Incredible month.
Old 04-17-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, outstanding month. Each and every title is a must have for me.

Christmas in July!
Old 04-17-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umm...wow.

My wallet hates Criterion. All of these are must-haves. This even tops the upcoming May release list. What a great year.

I bet Roger Ebert is excited about Woman in the Dunes, as it's one of his all-time favorite films.

The cover design for the Tarkovsky is fantastic. And Billy Wilder finally in the Criterion collection - awesome!
Old 04-17-07, 04:05 PM

Any clue what this is?

Old 04-17-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

?? http://imdb.com/title/tt0021818/ ??

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.