Reload this Page >

All in the family VS. Sanford and Son

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-15-07, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which one is better??
thinking of getting them dvds... hard time to choose because I heard they both great... but, the question is...... which one is better?? any thoughts?
Old 04-15-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
All in the Family. Not even close.
Old 04-15-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Both are great. I don't know if I could choose between them. Both lead characters are so awesome. The Fred vs. Esther stuff is always very fun to watch.
Old 04-15-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
all in the fam
Old 04-15-07, 06:55 PM

Tough to beat All In The Family. For any show. IMO it's the greatest TV sitcom ever. Period.
Old 04-15-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
"All in the Family" was much bolder in its humor and social commentary. "Sanford and Son," while also very funny and one of my favorites, most of jokes are quite one dimensional. It's almost always Fred vs. everybody else.
Old 04-15-07, 08:55 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sanford and Son was great the first 3 season then it went down hill.
Old 04-16-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
All in the Family. The Amazing thing is that if you watch an episdoe today, 25 years or so after it originally aired, it is still relevant, cutting edge and a little provacative. It really is an amazing show, and I think the best comedy show ever. (not necessarily the funniest)
Old 04-16-07, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think All in the family was a better show but I think S&S was funnier.
Old 04-16-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
through All in the family left a huge impact on primetime tv & tv as a whole, I think Sanford & Son is a way funnier show.
actually i would highly recommend 'Maude' or 'The Jeffersons' 2 spin-offs from all in the family & in my opinion were better than the show.
The Jeffersons ran for 11 seasons and some people think it grew tired or 'Jumped the shark' and Maude was only on for 5 seasons and never really has a chance to 'Jump the shark' but the 5th season was arguable.
I have been addicted to 70's sitcoms as of late and have been pick up alot of the great norman lear created shows.
Old 04-16-07, 07:34 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGodfather
Tough to beat All In The Family. For any show. IMO it's the greatest TV sitcom ever. Period.
I couldn't agree with this more.
Old 04-16-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I loved both these shows as a kid, and my family watched them both religiously. I catch the reruns of both on TV Land now, and find All in the Family shrill, loud and annoying. Sanford and Son was rough around the edges, but has aged better in my opinion as a purely entertaining sitcom. All in the Family was groundbreaking and relevant, but Sanford and Son was a lot funnier.
Old 04-16-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sheeet, even Three's Company beats S&S. This isn't even a competition.
Old 04-16-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is no question. All in the Family.
Old 04-17-07, 12:41 PM

All in the Family, of course.

I never watched what I considered 'low brow' shows during the 70's (i.e. Sanford and Son, Good Times and Chico & the Man).

But I loved The Jeffersons, maybe because they were just 'middle class' Americans like me and because like All in the Family, it spoke against the 'stupid' prejudices of the time, always making the bigots look like fools.

But then again, I loved 'What's Happening' so who knows what the hell I was thinking about back in the 70's!

Chris
Old 04-17-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Sanford & Son is harder to relate to if you don't understand lower class/poor Black Culture. The Jeffersons had the same thing going for it The Cosby show had in that it was able to crossover into white america due to its middle class representation of a black family. Although the characters were black, they were closer to what many white americans are used in too in their daily lives. Shows like Sanford and Son, Good Times, and few others dealt with a different aspect of the culture so it makes sense that many posting wouldn't like it or get the humor. All in the Family and Sanford & Son were both good shows geared towards very different audiences.

With that said, I would say you're safer with All in the Family.
Old 04-17-07, 02:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I like the one that's based on a UK show.
Old 04-17-07, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Sanford & Son is harder to relate to if you don't understand lower class/poor Black Culture. The Jeffersons had the same thing going for it The Cosby show had in that it was able to crossover into white america due to its middle class representation of a black family. Although the characters were black, they were closer to what many white americans are used in too in their daily lives. Shows like Sanford and Son, Good Times, and few others dealt with a different aspect of the culture so it makes sense that many posting wouldn't like it or get the humor. All in the Family and Sanford & Son were both good shows geared towards very different audiences.

With that said, I would say you're safer with All in the Family.
Good points Giantrobo. Count me as one who loved the 'upper class' mentality of The Jeffersons and The Cosby Show. They both rank in my Top 20 comedy shows of all time, though The Cosby Show always had a great 'message' for everyone.

The Cosby Show was probably the last black comedy show that I've watched because everything that has come after that was too juvenile for my tastes.

Chris
Old 04-17-07, 03:29 PM

And to add to my thoughts, the reason I didn't watch those shows that I mentioned above, is because I thought they reinforced the negative 'stereotypes' of the people / cultures being protrayed.

Whereas, shows like All in the Family and The Jeffersons didn't make fun of the different races protrayed, it made fun of the bigots / prejudices that we all have when dealing with people of other races. Though I doubt most of us were as extreme as Archie Bunker or George Jefferson!

A show like All in the Family did more than any other show, to bring an understanding to the masses, that even though we are different we are alike in many ways and that we should all be treated as equals. Can I get an Amen!

Chris
Old 04-17-07, 03:31 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
All in the Family, of course.

I never watched what I considered 'low brow' shows during the 70's (i.e. Sanford and Son, Good Times and Chico & the Man).
I watched all those shows. Each was enjoyable, but All In the Family is one of the great works of 20th century narrative art. It's the gold standard of TV.
Old 04-17-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I like the one that's based on a UK show.
Old 04-17-07, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I watched all those shows. Each was enjoyable, but All In the Family is one of the great works of 20th century narrative art. It's the gold standard of TV.
That and I Love Lucy.

Chris
Old 04-17-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That and I Love Lucy.

Chris
And Herman's Head.
Old 04-17-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
No offense to Sanford & Son, but All In The Family is arguably the best American sitcom ever. It's like comparing Home Improvement with Seinfeld - one's pretty good, but the other is a classic.
Old 04-17-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Cosby Show was probably the last black comedy show that I've watched because everything that has come after that was too juvenile for my tastes.

Chris
I sort of understand where you're coming from...but you're not saying that there's not white, juvenile sitcoms, right? "Married With Children" was a lower class/low brow show starring a white family. People love that show, but that was a juvenile sitcom as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.