Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best place to buy original NES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 08:35 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best place to buy original NES?

Cleaning out the attic yesterday, I found my old NES and games. The NES doesn't work, but I've got like 80 games. I've been buying NES games from the Wii Store, but it seems to make more sense just to be playing my old games if I want to play NES.

So.....is eBay the way to go? Or are there better places to try finding a working NES?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ebay or Pawn Shop. If you can (and it will be tough) try and find the second version of the NES that is top loading. I have one of those and it works perfectly. None of the blow in the cart problems with the original design.

If you are willing to buy a non Nintendo piece of hardware I think there are some really good and affordable NES/SNES units out there for $40.

Last edited by darkside; 04-15-07 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-15-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got an NES that I'll give you if you cover the shipping.
Old 04-15-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
try and find the second version of the NES that is top loading.
Keep in mind they removed the RCA composite outputs when they shrunk it down to the toploader.
Old 04-16-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
Keep in mind they removed the RCA composite outputs when they shrunk it down to the toploader.
The RF output is also prone to have a lot of noise in it (something to do with inadequate shielding).

The toploader is much better for reliability, but poorer video PQ for bigger TVs. Mine went to ebay some years ago and I got a boxy NES with a new connector from my local mom n pop.
Old 04-16-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, search out an OG NES and buy a replacement cartridge connecter, MUCH better than the top loader. In fact, check out the eBay for a replacement cartridge connecter first, try replacing that on your current NES, that might just be all you need to do.
Old 04-16-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Yes, search out an OG NES and buy a replacement cartridge connecter, MUCH better than the top loader. In fact, check out the eBay for a replacement cartridge connecter first, try replacing that on your current NES, that might just be all you need to do.
Seconded. couldn't be easier to replace and works pretty darn well.
Old 04-16-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I actually picked up a 3rd party console with was put out by YOGA or something like that and it's a top loader and it plays 90% of my games without a hitch...only cost me 20 bucks I think on eBay.
Old 04-18-07, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
A third option

This is the N.E.X made by Messiah. This while not exactly an NES it works just as well. Games load from the front and the top slot loads Famicom carts. It does support older controllers and zappers, and can support the wireless pads made by Messiah (which I got a chance to use and they are pretty sweet).The N.E.X uses AV's rather than RF. I know nothing tops having the original, but if repair and replacing end up costing too much this is another option. I've sold maybe three of these and each customer has come back saying how much they enjoy having a machine that plays there old NES carts.
Old 04-18-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The NEX is a piece of crap. It's the same machine as the $20 piece of crap that Quack posted about in a very nice case. The video, colors and sound of these machines is horrible, many games play with glitches and some games will not play at all. There is no reason not to go with a real NES unless you are planning to do the absolute minimum of casual NES gaming, we're talking maybe half a dozen games that you might play once in a blue moon. And in that case, get one of the cheap after-markets; don't waste the money on the NEX, there's no reason to pay an extra $40 for a nice plastic shell.
Old 04-18-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The NEX is a piece of crap. It's the same machine as the $20 piece of crap that Quack posted about in a very nice case. The video, colors and sound of these machines is horrible, many games play with glitches and some games will not play at all. There is no reason not to go with a real NES unless you are planning to do the absolute minimum of casual NES gaming, we're talking maybe half a dozen games that you might play once in a blue moon. And in that case, get one of the cheap after-markets; don't waste the money on the NEX, there's no reason to pay an extra $40 for a nice plastic shell.
I recommended NOT to go with the original NES was because of cost. Some ebay auctions go for the ammount of the NEX itself, and even then not every seller is going to be honest. At least with the NEX they give you what they claim is a lifetime garuntee (who knows for sure how long the company will be around anyway). I dont know how causual or hardcore aktick will be about hunting down NES carts. Care to share what games DONT work with the system? I honestly havent had one come back yet.
Old 04-18-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zero
I recommended NOT to go with the original NES was because of cost. Some ebay auctions go for the ammount of the NEX itself, and even then not every seller is going to be honest. At least with the NEX they give you what they claim is a lifetime garuntee (who knows for sure how long the company will be around anyway). I dont know how causual or hardcore aktick will be about hunting down NES carts. Care to share what games DONT work with the system? I honestly havent had one come back yet.
Castlevania IV, off the top of my head, along with a bunch of others.

Colors and sounds are a bit wrong on many games as well on any of the Famiclones.

The NEX has the same chip in it as all the other 'Famiclones'. If you want a famiclone buy the YOBO one or any of the other ones for $20. The NEX is just the best marketed one.

I got a boxy NES from my mom n pop store with a new connector in it. Think it cost me $40. That's the way to go. The newer connector lasts a lot longer than the original one. Should be good for many years.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 04-18-07 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-18-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Castlevania IV, off the top of my head, along with a bunch of others.

Colors and sounds are a bit wrong on many games as well on any of the Famiclones.

The NEX has the same chip in it as all the other 'Famiclones'. If you want a famiclone buy the YOBO one or any of the other ones for $20. The NEX is just the best marketed one.

I got a boxy NES from my mom n pop store with a new connector in it. Think it cost me $40. That's the way to go. The newer connector lasts a lot longer than the original one. Should be good for many years.
Im going to assume you meant Castlevania III right? Why buy the Yobo if all the "Famiclones" have the same chip set and the YOBO is no different?
Old 04-18-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Im going to assume you meant Castlevania III right? Why buy the Yobo if all the "Famiclones" have the same chip set and the YOBO is no different?
Because the YOBO isn't a $20 piece of crap in a $60 case, it's just a $20 piece of crap. River City Ransom doesn't work either.. if I recall. And the problems go beyond a few games that won't play at all.. I've tested an NES and an NEX side to side.. the video on the NEX with RCA is actually worse than the top-loader through RF. Many games exhibit graphics glitches during play and the sound and color are usually off. Granted, the last three aren't discernible unless you side by side the machines.. but they're there.
Old 04-18-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recommended NOT to go with the original NES was because of cost. Some ebay auctions go for the ammount of the NEX itself, and even then not every seller is going to be honest.
Wow.

So basically.. because the NES MAY (stress: may) cost as much as the inferior product.. you should buy the inferior product? That's amazing logic. And the bit about eBay sellers is fairly nonsensical.
Old 04-19-07, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow.

So basically.. because the NES MAY (stress: may) cost as much as the inferior product.. you should buy the inferior product? That's amazing logic. And the bit about eBay sellers is fairly nonsensical.
Glad I got a laugh out of you, and try not to choke while laughing at my next post.

I understand the want (or in some cases need) for the original NES. While most of these products may or may not ever hold a candle to the original gray box huting down said system can be costly. Maybe because i've lost my edge (stress:maybe) I'm just trying to help out a fellow poster by posting about an "inferior" product that does'nt work 100% is more of a reason to think I'm completely out of my mind. But I thank you for shedding light on the NEX's flaws I'll have to look into this at work if I have time tomorrow.
Old 04-19-07, 02:44 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Glad I got a laugh out of you, and try not to choke while laughing at my next post.

I understand the want (or in some cases need) for the original NES. While most of these products may or may not ever hold a candle to the original gray box huting down said system can be costly. Maybe because i've lost my edge (stress:maybe) I'm just trying to help out a fellow poster by posting about an "inferior" product that does'nt work 100% is more of a reason to think I'm completely out of my mind. But I thank you for shedding light on the NEX's flaws I'll have to look into this at work if I have time tomorrow.
Seriously...

Costly? We are talking $20-$30 dollars, right? (probably cheaper if you hit a flea market)
Old 04-19-07, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Seriously...

Costly? We are talking $20-$30 dollars, right? (probably cheaper if you hit a flea market)
If only you knew me better. I give up.
Old 04-19-07, 03:11 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
If only you knew me better. I give up.
Don't give up. I don't know you at all!

What are you trying to get at? No worries here.
Old 12-15-07, 07:52 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got around to ordering the 72 pin thingy this week, installed it this afternoon, seems to work.

One issue - my Zapper doesn't seem to work. I hooked it up in a spare bedroom to a CRT HDTV. Is it because it's an HDTV that it's not working? I mean, it clicks on screen and everything, but I know I'm not THAT bad at Duck Hunt.
Old 12-16-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I would think recommending these non-NES products would be akin to linking to a modchip vendor.
Old 12-17-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
I just got around to ordering the 72 pin thingy this week, installed it this afternoon, seems to work.

One issue - my Zapper doesn't seem to work. I hooked it up in a spare bedroom to a CRT HDTV. Is it because it's an HDTV that it's not working? I mean, it clicks on screen and everything, but I know I'm not THAT bad at Duck Hunt.
Lightguns don't work on non-interlaced HDTVs. They're based off a principle that depends on interlacing.

There's some work arounds out there now but any of the lightguns from the pre-HDTV era are a no go. I've heard of some people having success with 1080i CRT RPTVs with some newer lightguns, but that's about it.
Old 12-17-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I would think recommending these non-NES products would be akin to linking to a modchip vendor.
Emulation is perfectly legal, which is why these companies are still in business.
Old 12-17-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Emulation is perfectly legal, which is why these companies are still in business.

Perfectly legal? It is kind of a grey area.
Old 12-18-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.virtualnes.com/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.