Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So I watched Parental Control on MTV...now I believe the world may end soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I watched Parental Control on MTV...now I believe the world may end soon

I couldn't sleep last night so I was wasting time flipping through the channels. I come across Parental Control on MTV.

For those that don't know its about the parents of a son or daughter that just hate their boyfriend/girlfriend. They get to interview potential replacements and their kid gets to go on a blind date with one person the dad picks one person the mom picks. Then the boyfriend/girlfriend and the parents watch at home.

So on this episode were these parents that absolutely hated their son's girlfriend. They really thought she was just a comple dumbass. Well let me say for the first time in reality tv history there were no exaggerations about it...this girl was just dumb as a brick.

Some of the highlights...or lowlights I should say included:

When talking about one of the blind dates her boyfriend was on she says "Uggh this date is lame. So lame L A I M lame" - She's got to be late into her high school career (probably junior or senior) or even out of high school and she spells out lame L A I M!!!

When the boyfriends parents were talking about how after these blind dates are over she'll be gone she responds with "Uh Uh, no way! I'm going to be here for maternity" - What kind of ditz confuses maternity with eternity. The dad has a brilliant response after this, he says "Mabel, you're dumber than I thought and thats not saying much"

So the second blind date is the moms choice and its this smoking hot, not like hippie chick, but she dresses like 70s ish bohemian..got more piercings than the average girl. Hot, but also smart. After the boyfriend and her go out of their date the mom tells the girlfriend "Not only is she cute but shes in MENSA." In yet another intelligent response she says "eeeeewww I don't want to know about her periods!!"

My conclusion: There are many more people out there like poor old Mabel and the end of the world may be coming sooner rather than later

Thankfully, the boyfriend chose the smoking hot smart chick. To top it off while the girlfriend was storming out of the house and out into the street screaming about 8 months!! 8 months and its over like that!!! she trips over herself and falls!
Old 04-14-07, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I surprisingly have not seen that one before, sounds great!
Old 04-14-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is AMAZING..i mean amazingly funny how shallow and horrible the next gen is!!!!

One girl said, I'm not as smart as Einshtin!!! aaaah!!!!
Old 04-14-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the second blind date is the moms choice and its this smoking hot, not like hippie chick, but she dresses like 70s ish bohemian..got more piercings than the average girl. Hot, but also smart. After the boyfriend and her go out of their date the mom tells the girlfriend "Not only is she cute but shes in MENSA." In yet another intelligent response she says "eeeeewww I don't want to know about her periods!!"
You do realize these shows are partially scripted, right? My friends saw the show "Next" being filmed in Santa monica at the beach, and they did several takes of the teens talking to the camera, and the director was off to the side, barking out directions, such as "Say this", and "Now say it like you're angry, and say it like you're sad, etc...".

I'm sure she's an idiot, but i'm also sure they told her to play it up a lot because she'd come off as funny. A lot of her "dumb" lines were probably being fed to her by the director.
Old 04-14-07, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
You do realize these shows are partially scripted, right? My friends saw the show "Next" being filmed in Santa monica at the beach, and they did several takes of the teens talking to the camera, and the director was off to the side, barking out directions, such as "Say this", and "Now say it like you're angry, and say it like you're sad, etc...".

I'm sure she's an idiot, but i'm also sure they told her to play it up a lot because she'd come off as funny. A lot of her "dumb" lines were probably being fed to her by the director.
I find it hard to believe some of these 'contestants' would allow themselves to be portrayed as such dumbasses though on TV. I mean, I can see the 'Next' show with comments like 'damn her ass is big...like an elephant!', but for what the girl said in the OP I can't believe anyone would allow it.
Old 04-14-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
The future carbon blobs of America.
Old 04-14-07, 09:52 PM

It's called acting.

Someone is giving her the lines.

She's still probably as dumb as a rock though.
Old 04-15-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I read those nuggets of wisdom she "said" the first thing that I thought of was "scripted".

Just the description of the show by itself is so unbelievably over the top that a single person taking any of it seriously would amaze me.

Scripted BS to get ratings.
Old 04-15-07, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds about as dumb as believing in everything you see on "reality" TV.
Old 04-15-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

about as good as jason from laguana beach on the "celebrity edition" of exposed and picking some girl with a big rack and at the end saying, "all i want to do is f*** her."

these shows do make me wonder how dumb some of the people out there really are.
Old 04-15-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd have to believe that a teenager would want to let his/her parents pick a date for him/her. Considering the crowd MTV caters to, I find it impossible that it would happen in reality.

Plus I'd have to believe that MTV makes a program that is worth watching.
Old 04-15-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
OK - I'm watching this now. This is remarkably bad and the scripted lines are so obvious and horrible.
Old 04-15-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Watching it also and I have to agree, this show is so scripted its not even funny. Can't believe some of the shows that MTV can come up with and people actually want to watch this crap.
Old 04-15-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dpz301
about as good as jason from laguana beach on the "celebrity edition" of exposed and picking some girl with a big rack and at the end saying, "all i want to do is f*** her."

to be fair that is probably the most realistic/honest comment ever on a reality show
Old 04-15-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I find it hard to believe some of these 'contestants' would allow themselves to be portrayed as such dumbasses though on TV. I mean, I can see the 'Next' show with comments like 'damn her ass is big...like an elephant!', but for what the girl said in the OP I can't believe anyone would allow it.
I can totally believe that. In LA, every chick, in addition to her boring day job, is an "aspiring actress". They'll do virtually anything to get their break on a major network like MTV, regardless of how demeaning.
Old 04-16-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I find it hard to believe some of these 'contestants' would allow themselves to be portrayed as such dumbasses though on TV.
Have you not seen Jerry Springer? Our country is not short on dumbasses who will say anything to be on tv.

That being said, I too thought the world was going to end after I watched an Mtv program, except mine was Yo Mamma.
Old 04-17-07, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't watch Sweet Sixteen. You'll want to kick them in the throat.
Old 04-17-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it was established long ago that watching a "show" on MTV was not recommended.
Old 04-17-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Remember music videos? They were pretty cool.
Old 04-17-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember M2 back when they played nothing but music videos.

Sadly it has become a dumping ground for reruns of garbage MTV shows (save for Beavis and Butthead).

No more M2 and no more Muchmusic.