Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Valley Girl DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valley Girl DVD

Hello folks

Forgive me if this has been posted before but I recently got Valley Girl on DVD from Deepdiscount.com in the MGM sale. When it arrived I noticed that it did not have Special Edition on the top, like I last remembered seeing and also, the only features were a commentary and pop up 80's trivia track.

I was sure there was some featurettes listed. Has this been re-issued or have I missed something?

Cheers
Old 04-12-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
From what I can see at DVD Aficianado, there are two editions of this disc. There is the fairly barebones edition with just the MGM logo on top and there is a special "Like, Totally" edition containing featurettes and whatnot.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...l&x=0&y=0&rg=A
Old 04-12-07, 09:20 AM
Cool New Member

Same here, ordered it from dvdpacific a couple of weeks ago, they sent me the non-SE version. Maybe SE is OOP?
Old 04-12-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, this was one of the "silent" reissues that MGM seems to do often. They remove the second side including features or the second layer, something to that effect. Essentially making it a bare-bones disc. They even keep the same UPC so no one has any idea the contents have actually changed. Really really lame, but I guess it's now expected with crap companies like MGM and Fox.

There was a thread or two discussing this and other titles, but of course I can't find it because the search function on dvdtalk sux too.

Other titles I remember possibly also being affected:
Bull Durham
The Sure Thing
Last American Virgin (not sure this was affected, there are no extras, just a fs and ws side)

Last edited by basaro; 04-21-07 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-12-07, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by basaro
Yeah, this was one of the "silent" reissues that MGM seems to do often. They remove the second side including features or the second layer, something to that effect. Essentially making it a bare-bones disc. They even keep the same UPC so no one has any idea the contents have actually changed. Really really lame, but I guess it's now expected with crap companies like MGM and Fox.

There was a thread or two discussing this and other titles, but of course I can't find it because the search function on dvdtalk sux too.

Last American Virgin (released same date as VG, IIRC)
Bull Durham
Terminator
both Legally Blonde movies
Old 04-13-07, 08:57 AM

That explains it then. Pretty pointless if you ask me, I'm not too happy about it. Guess I will have to be more careful in the future.
Old 04-13-07, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I bought the "Valley Girl" DVD last summer. The amazon description listed certain features, but when I got the DVD, it didn't have them. But that's OK - I love the movie and that's why I ordered it.

Now I just have to recommend some of the music from the movie for anyone who is curious about it.

Josie Cotton was the singer at the prom. Her CD "Convertible Music / From The Hip" has those two albums from 1982 and 1984 on one CD, and the CD has every song that she did in the movie.

Bonnie Hayes had two songs in the movie - "Girls Like Me" and "Shelley's Boyfriend." Both are from her 1982 album "Good Clean Fun." That album has never been released on CD. But Bonnie lets you download both of those songs for free. Go here and scroll down to the bottom:

http://www.bonniehayes.com/files/sampletunes.htm
Old 04-14-07, 01:23 AM

Hmmm sounds like the same thing with "The Sure Thing"

I don't get it, why put out a bare bones edition when it doesn't cost anymore to put out a SE?
Old 04-14-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thank god cos i was planning to pick all of these SEs in the last MGM sale...so what's my next best option to get these SEs online?
Old 04-14-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
With Valley Girl, the disc was originally a flipper, with the special features spread over both sides of the disc. The Sure Thing had the movie on one side in both Widescreen and Full Screen, and the extras on the flip side.

Here's the problem with these: both are DVD-14's, which are dual layered on one side, and single layered on the other. So there is an extra cost to keep making those discs as opposed to single sided discs.
Old 04-14-07, 05:19 PM

That makes sense, although I wish they would have kept the SE intact.
Old 04-16-07, 04:42 PM

The featurettes on Valley Girl were worth having. If you're a fan, I highly recommend tracking down the original SE. The original soundtrack CD's are great too - loaded with tons of hard-to-find new wave gems like The Plimsouls and Josie Cotton. They're both OOP now, unfortunately.
Old 04-16-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by joliom
The featurettes on Valley Girl were worth having. If you're a fan, I highly recommend tracking down the original SE. The original soundtrack CD's are great too - loaded with tons of hard-to-find new wave gems like The Plimsouls and Josie Cotton. They're both OOP now, unfortunately.
I'm glad I got both of those CDs a few years ago - when they were cheap!

If you look on Amazon, you can find them there - altho a bit on the pricey side!
Old 04-17-07, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by basaro

Last American Virgin (released same date as VG, IIRC)
Bull Durham
There's a version of Last American Virgin with special features? How the heck did I miss that? What's on it?
Old 04-18-07, 05:20 AM

Make me feel worse why don't ya. Just kidding. I will track it down. I am dissapointed in myself for not realising it was a silent re-issue. I like special features, although it doesn't influence my buys but being a big 80's movie fan, I like to see featurettes on the movies etc. Live and learn, live and learn.

Cheers
Old 04-18-07, 07:18 AM

Any amount of money spent on the soundtracks are totally worth it. The compilations from Rhino are great.

Good luck finding it. I got my SE, but wanted to get another for a friend who loves the movie and struck out big time. Finally, I found one lost in the horror section at Best Buy. You just never know.
Old 04-21-07, 08:18 PM

Nobody answered my question regarding Last American Virgin. Is there actually another version out there with special features? I bought my copy the month it was released and it only has a theatrical trailer. So is there a better version that I should be trying to track down?
Old 04-21-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nobody answered my question regarding Last American Virgin. Is there actually another version out there with special features? I bought my copy the month it was released and it only has a theatrical trailer. So is there a better version that I should be trying to track down?
no, thats the only one.
Old 04-21-07, 10:15 PM

No, there are no extras. I was actually thinking of The Sure Thing which was affected, but I also thought LAV was also released without one of the sides (either ws or fs). Not sure though.
Old 04-22-07, 04:56 AM

The featurettes on Valley Girl were worth having. If you're a fan, I highly recommend tracking down the original SE.
I agree, the Valley Gil S.E. is excellent! If you're a big fan I'd highly recommend it.
Old 04-22-07, 08:23 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamina
I agree, the Valley Gil S.E. is excellent! If you're a big fan I'd highly recommend it.
It would have been a WHOLE lot better if Deborah Foreman (Julie in the movie) would have participated in the commentary with Nicolas Cage. For some reason she wanted no part of it.

Does anyone know what she even looks like these days - 25 years later???
Old 04-23-07, 04:21 AM

I stand corrected regarding the Rhino soundtrack CD's. It looks like only the second one - "More Music from the Soundtrack Valley Girl" - is currently OOP. It's still worth having though, since a couple of other songs featured in the movie found their way onto that volume (the rest being non-movie songs that are in the same vein, musically).
Old 04-23-07, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65
It would have been a WHOLE lot better if Deborah Foreman (Julie in the movie) would have participated in the commentary with Nicolas Cage. For some reason she wanted no part of it.

Does anyone know what she even looks like these days - 25 years later???
She still looks pretty good. She's in her mid-forties now, so obviously she doesn't look like she did 24 years ago, but then who does? There's some recent pics of her at IMDb, if you want to judge for yourself. Strangely, one of them shows her at a panel interview for Valley Girl along with Martha Coolidge, which I have to assume was done in conjunction with the DVD release.
Old 08-27-07, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the Double feature with Sure Thing. After a bit of searching here and at HTF, I discovered that these features were re-released with scaled-down extras.

Here is a link to DVD Empire's back cover.
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...or=1#topoftabs

Are these the scaled-down extras that were taken off of MGM releases. If so, what is missing? I can't find any definitive answers. Thanks.
Old 08-27-07, 05:06 PM

There are some featurettes that are missing. Valley Girl had a making-of documentary featuring interviews with Martha Coolidge, Nic Cage, Michael Bowen, E.G. Daily, and others, an interview/conversation segment with Martha Coolidge and Nic Cage talking about their experiences making the movie, and a featurette about the soundtrack with interviews with Coolidge, Josie Cotton, Peter Case from The Plimsouls and Rob Grey from Modern English. Also there was a poorly executed video pop-up commentary.

The Sure Thing had a making-of documentary featuring interviews with Rob Reiner, John Cusack, Daphne Zuniga, Nicollette Sheridan and the writers and Producer. And there were some short featurettes on the wardrobe, casting and scripting processes, plus 4 easter eggs with interview clips of Nicollette Sheridan talking about her experiences working on the film.

Both are really worth having if you're a fan of the films and offer a lot of interesting tidbits and inside stories. I highly recommend tracking them down.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.