Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chemical Brothers: We Are the Night - 6/19/2007

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-11-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Courtesy of Pitchfork.

The Chemical Brothers will release their sixth LP, We Are the Night, via Astralwerks on June 19. The duo's last album was 2005's Push the Button, and like that record and the ones before it, Night features a bevy of guest stars.

Fatlip (formerly of the Pharcyde), Klaxons, Midlake, Willy Mason and all contribute to We Are the Night, and the first single-- "Do It Again [ft. Ali Love]"-- is due out soon.

The Chemical Brothers will take to European clubs and festival stages this summer starting with a May 25 date in Bucharest. A U.S. tour is in the works for September.

Tracklist:

01 No Path to Follow
02 We Are the Night
03 All Rights Reversed [ft. Klaxons]
04 Saturate
05 Do It Again [ft. Ali Love]
06 Das Spiegel
07 The Salmon Dance [ft. Fatlip]
08 Burst Generator
09 A Modern Midnight Conversation
10 Battle Scars [ft. Willy Mason]
11 Harpoons
12 The Pills Won't Help You Now [ft. Midlake]

--------------------------------

Personally I wasn't too enthralled with Push the Button (I thought it had a couple of decent songs but was mostly blah), however I'll still likely pick this up when it comes out.

Last edited by Mano; 04-16-07 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-11-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Mano
Personally I wasn't too entralled with Push the Button (I thought it had a couple of decent songs but was mostly blah), however I'll still likely pick this up when it comes out.
I wasn't thrilled with it either. The guests on this one seem interesting, however I think they're at their best when they do their own thing.

I doubt I'll pick this one up, at least for a while. I would like to see them come to the states and do some shows, though. There's already a couple of good electronic acts coming to Red Rocks, such as Daft Punk and Underworld.
Old 04-11-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought Push The Button was a major step down from Come With Us. Here's to hoping this is a step back in the right direction.
Old 04-11-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It took me a while to get into Push The Button, but I've ended up really liking it. Believe, Come Inside and Big Jump are absolutely slamming tracks if you play them really loud. Surface to Air is prime euphoric Chemicals and one of my favorite tracks they've ever done. I just ignore the existance of Left Right and Boxer.

Looking forward to the new one although this type of music is probably sounding a little dated at this point...
Old 04-11-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I thought Push The Button was a major step down from Come With Us. Here's to hoping this is a step back in the right direction.
i feel exactly opposite. i found "come with us" to be too loud, bombastic, repetetive & obnoxious.

push the button does have a few less than stellar songs on it, and nothing will ever compare to "dig your own hole", but i think it's right up there in the best of chem bros albums.
Old 04-12-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Push the Button" took alot of getting used to but it still ended up being a letdown.

There are songs on there I really like (The Boxer) and a few others i like, but the overall listening experience felt uneven. "Left, Right" was downright terrible and really was out of place on the CD.

Normally I'd buy a CD of theirs without a second thought, but I'm really going to have to wait and see if this one suffers from the same problem "Push the Button" did.
Old 04-13-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

really? i think the push the button cd was their most accessible to date. i mean, even budweiser is using their songs in their commercials
Old 04-14-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not really all that great at explaining why or how I feel the way I do about music and CD's.

"push the Button" took a really long time for me to get into where previous albums I could get into right away.

I don't think it has a good "flow" like previous albums had.
Old 04-14-07, 12:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
nothing will ever compare to "dig your own hole"
DYOH is a fantastic album, but EPD is their defining work. I think that alot of people who didn't discover them until after their Dust Brothers days prefer DYOH, just because they don't have the reference point of all their earlier material and remixes at the time they came out. For instance, the Chekov Warp Vocal and the Tow Truck remixes, along with the Siren/14th Century Sky/Mercury Mouth EP's just set the tone for what was to come. DYOH is great, but hearing the original or Sabres versions of Siren for the first time on a club system is just something that Setting Sun can't compare to.
EPD is a masterpiece, the only drawback is that they included the live version of Siren instead of the studio version, and that Chemical Beats is totally missing the huge acidic buildup that appears on the original EP.
Old 04-16-07, 08:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
It took me a while to get into Push The Button, but I've ended up really liking it. Believe, Come Inside and Big Jump are absolutely slamming tracks if you play them really loud. Surface to Air is prime euphoric Chemicals and one of my favorite tracks they've ever done. I just ignore the existance of Left Right and Boxer.

Looking forward to the new one although this type of music is probably sounding a little dated at this point...
not so much as dated but with the scene largely going back underground... unless you have satelite radio, the dance/electronic music scene barely exists on US commercial radio.
Old 04-16-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
not so much as dated but with the scene largely going back underground... unless you have satelite radio, the dance/electronic music scene barely exists on US commercial radio.
I'm not saying all electronic music sounds dated, just the Chemical Brother's hard-driving/psychedelic big beat style. They haven't really progressed since Surrender, IMO. I still like the Chemicals a lot but I'm not sure how relevant their sound is now.

/ashamed of self for using the term "relevant".
Old 05-23-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After two listens through:

01 No Path to Follow- intro

02 We Are the Night- trancey, glazed, druggy track with a driving beat. Euphoric Chemicals.

03 All Rights Reversed [ft. Klaxons]- rocking break beat with an all conquering chorus and bridge. Sounds great loud.

04 Saturate- electro funk. Sounds a little like the latest LCD Soundsystem album with retro synth lines and live funky drum interludes.

05 Do It Again [ft. Ali Love]- first single. More retro. This time a tense Balearic house track with militant/chanting vocal samples. This is a track from deep house fans.

06 Das Spiegel- back to euphoria. Cool, urban, summer, mid-tempo groove. Subtle Cars bassline. Reminds me of a more mellow "Surface to Air". Great track.

07 The Salmon Dance [ft. Fatlip]- might be the silliest Chemicals track I've heard. True the to the title, Fatlip tries to teach everyone to dance like a salmon. Wacked out chorus. Imagine the Chemicals doing a track with Biz Markie. It works because it's actually funny.

08 Burst Generator-a deep trance track, longest on the album. Lengthy Blonde Redhead-like intro gives way to dance floor groove. Cool echo-y sequencer lines. Reverbed distored guitars. Another very strong track that builds effortlessly as it goes. Bleeds right into...

09 A Modern Midnight Conversation- harder beat. Sounds like it was inspired by "Confusion" by New Order. High NRG bassline. This would sound great on a really powerful club system. Once again, bleeds into...

10 Battle Scars [ft. Willy Mason]: an electric indie rock song. Imagine the Chemicals doing a goth cover with a "Riders on the Storm" vibe. It ends of sounding a lot like something off of the Gorillaz Demon Days album. Really catchy in a downbeat way. I could see this being a single.

11 Harpoons- short, dreamy interlude. Sounds like a My Bloody Valentine or Boards of Canada outake.

12 The Pills Won't Help You Now [ft. Midlake]- yet another epic album closer from the Brothers. This one goes out on a mellow, beautiful note that builds into a electro-glide anthem. It actually has great lyrics as well. A genuinely moving Chemicals track, who would have seen that?

I probably need to listen to it a few more times, but on a first impression, this is probably the best album they've done since Surrender. It's a step forward for them, they've progressed their sound more on this album than on the last several combined. It's also a mature album made by guys who know exactly what they want to do. It's fairly seemless and the guest stars don't intrude at all, nothing threatens the overall mood of the album which is generally very upbeat and sunny. This is a great summer driving album. Good stuff!

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-26-07 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-23-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only question i have is: Is it better than "Push the Button"?
Old 05-24-07, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by UAIOE
The only question i have is: Is it better than "Push the Button"?
Yes, by a country mile.
Old 05-24-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I actually think this is there best effort since Surrender. I'll be purchasing the retail release for sure.
Old 09-04-07, 02:23 PM

guess what the next UK single is...

yup, you guessed it that really really stupid song

- The Salmon Dance
Old 09-04-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I like album about as much as "Push the Button" except there are even less songs on this CD I like.
Old 09-04-07, 03:09 PM

Has any one seen them live?
Old 09-05-07, 08:26 AM

:
Originally Posted by Clyde099
Has any one seen them live?
at least twice.

once at the 9:30 Club where they started at, guess? 9:30pm

another gig at Nation - where I was up in the front - it was by far one of the loudest concerts - my ears rang the entire next day.

Their shows have great visuals, but it's the bass and sound that rattles the stomach, joggles the brain and propels the feet to dance.

their upcoming Fall show is rather lame since it's only a few dates/cities and no one north or south of New York City is getting the priviledge of their show.
Old 09-06-07, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
:

at least twice.

once at the 9:30 Club where they started at, guess? 9:30pm

another gig at Nation - where I was up in the front - it was by far one of the loudest concerts - my ears rang the entire next day.

Their shows have great visuals, but it's the bass and sound that rattles the stomach, joggles the brain and propels the feet to dance.

their upcoming Fall show is rather lame since it's only a few dates/cities and no one north or south of New York City is getting the priviledge of their show.
Thanks for the input.

They're coming to Chicago and I was debating attending the show since I couldn't find many concert reviews or stuff like that.
Old 10-27-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This album is awesome. I haven't been able to stop listening to it since I purchased it the day of it's release. Of course, nothing compares (for me) to their best album Surrender. I still think this is the best electronic band, duo, or otherwise in the world and have followed them with every release. They might even be my favorite group. Period.