Reload this Page >

Thank God You're Here - 4/9/2007

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-09-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reminder that this new improv show starts tonight. I originally wasn't interested, but I gotta say the commercials for this have piqued my interest.

http://www.nbc.com/TGYH/

"Thank God You're Here" showcases the improv skills of a group of four brave actors each week as they take on the high wire act known as improv comedy.

SERIES PREMIERE Monday, April 9 at 9/8c

* Jennifer Coolidge ("Best in Show")
* Bryan Cranston ("Malcolm in the Middle")
* Joel McHale (E! Entertainment's, "The Soup")
* Wayne Knight ("Seinfield")

The series is hosted by David Alan Grier ("In Living Color") and presided over by judge, Dave Foley ("NewsRadio," "Kids in the Hall").
Old 04-09-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

eh, looks like a "Whose Line is It Anyway" Wanna be....
Old 04-09-07, 03:12 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
The first episode was on Yahoo for the past week, I'm not sure if it's still up.

Spoiler:

Wayne Knight was really the only funny one. Cranston had a couple spots where it took him a few seconds to say anything. McHale was ok and Coolidge was awful. If you turn in at the start for Knight and the ending where all 4 are in the same skit that's all you need to see
Old 04-09-07, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Morf
* Jennifer Coolidge ("Stifler's Mom")
Fixed.
Old 04-09-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I'm recording this, but I have to admit that I'm not holding out too much hope for it.
Old 04-09-07, 08:14 PM

Man, nbc is destroying such an awesome show. The australian version is full of laughs the entire time.
Old 04-09-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I was ready to take a crap on this show but I've been laughing throughout the whole thing. I really don't want to like a show like this so I'm holding out hope that I will lose interest and Jenifer Coolidge is just the person that could make that happen for me.
Old 04-09-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll watch the 2nd hour.
Old 04-09-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Jesus Christ, I can't believe Wayne Knight gained all of that weight back. He was looking great there for a while. What the hell happened?
Old 04-09-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew Kevin Nealon would be good.
Old 04-09-07, 09:34 PM

I thought about watching this but forgot about it. Although the "blue balls" joke I heard on the commercials was extremely lame and childish and if that's the joke they are going to promote their show with it's probably best I did forget.
Old 04-09-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I saw a few hunks of this while flipping channels. It was pretty bad. Even though I had given up on the Black Donnellys, it was better than this. Has it been cancelled?
Old 04-10-07, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Jesus Christ, I can't believe Wayne Knight gained all of that weight back. He was looking great there for a while. What the hell happened?
Temporary diets never work in the long run.

Actors doing improv without having any improv experience can be deadly. I forgot to watch, but maybe I'll catch it next time.
Old 04-10-07, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I saw a few hunks of this while flipping channels. It was pretty bad. Even though I had given up on the Black Donnellys, it was better than this. Has it been cancelled?

sadly, it has.
Old 04-10-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Actors doing improv without having any improv experience can be deadly. I forgot to watch, but maybe I'll catch it next time.
Problem is that most of these folks DO have rather large amounts of improv experience...
Old 04-10-07, 08:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well I watched both hours - and while I didn't want to like it...

I must admit that I laughed the whole 2 hours. Some people were better than others, you just know who is going to be funny. You can see that they edit the skit down so that you only see the funny parts.

I will watch again
Old 04-10-07, 08:39 AM

I Just watched it to see Dave Foley.
he took over TV last night. He was on the new adventures of old christine on CBS & this on NBC.
The Joke's were so-so, I never did care for whos line is it anyway?

if Dave Foley just stood infront of the camera and it nothing for 2 hrs it would still be better than watching the black donnelly's. & the Black donnelly's has offically been cancelled, NBC might air the unaired episodes online.
Old 04-10-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this is a show I will only watch when there are people I like on, not all the time.
Old 04-10-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Well I watched both hours - and while I didn't want to like it...

I must admit that I laughed the whole 2 hours. Some people were better than others, you just know who is going to be funny. You can see that they edit the skit down so that you only see the funny parts.

I will watch again
Have to agree. My wife pushed me to watch it and I didn't want to like it, but it worked much better than I thought. I liked the first show much better though. The group on the second one was pretty weak.

BTW, the Black Donnelly's was dogshit. Anything was going to be better than that series.
Old 04-10-07, 09:25 AM

I had low expectations, but I enjoyed both episodes. As long as they keep Wayne Brady far away from this show, I'll keep watching.

It seems like a good opportunity for some B-list celebrities to get some exposure and showcase their talent, without having to degrade themselves by going on the Surreal Life or being a guest judge on an Animal Planet game show.
Old 04-10-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had low expectations for the show but thought it was great. I know it is edited, but the comedians have to be pretty talented to pull this off. I'll keep watching...
Old 04-10-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was just OK, very hit and miss. I thought Wayne Knight was painfully unfunny, Bryan Cranston was Awesome, Joel Mchale was just alright but the regulars kept cockblocking him...speaking of, I wanted to slap the regular players in the face when they kept correcting Monique... they should be more flexible in their bits.... I thought the taped stuff was funnier than most of the live stuff. Kevin Nealon was great. I'd say out of the 2 hours, I liked probably 30 min... Good concept, but the 'regulars' need to roll with the punches, not correct the guest stars...

MATT
Old 04-10-07, 10:02 AM

I gotta say, I laughed through almost all of the superhero skit. Especially with Wayne Knight's multiple 'wardrobe malfuntcions'

"I can't see!"
Old 04-10-07, 10:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
I wanted to slap the regular players in the face when they kept correcting Monique... they should be more flexible in their bits....... Good concept, but the 'regulars' need to roll with the punches, not correct the guest stars...
I agree 100%

It is hard enough for them to be up there "on the spot" and the actors don't play along.. It was like they put the brakes on every time they corrected her. I would see if they gave them funny names like "Mr Cockenstiff" or something - but "Rachel" is not funny
Old 04-10-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Not funny IMO. I'll give it a miss from now on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.