Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Star Trek Fan Collective: Captain's Log - 7/24/07

Via DVDActive:

Title: Star Trek: Captain's Log
Starring: William Shatner
Released: 24th July 2007
SRP: Price TBC

Further Details:
Paramount Home Entertainment has sent over artwork for Star Trek: Captain's Log in which both fans and Captains have spoken. Not only have Star Trek fans voted online for their all-time favorite captain episodes from all five Star Trek series, but each show’s legendary leader Captain Kirk, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, and Scott Bakula has carefully chosen their favorite episode too. I'm afraid the episodes haven't yet been revealed, but we'll bring you word on those very shortly. Stay tuned.
Thanks to Netflix, I've been going through each Star Trek show, none of which I've seen before (or have any memory of as a little kid); for the record, so far I've gone through S1 - 3 of The Next Generation, and am halfway through S1 of The Original Flavor. So far so good, but I can already tell I won't be buying complete sets, so compilations like these are ideal for the casual fan like me.

I have a question for you Trek experts, though: I quite enjoyed the episode "Balance of Terror" (quick reference: The Enterprise duels with a Romulan ship) and was wondering if there were other episodes (from any of the shows) that centered around a space battle, and more importantly, if there were enough episodes that a Fan Collective set could be made out of it; I've seen bits of other space fights, and they always looked well done. You don't have to worry about spoilers; I've spent enough time browsing through Memory Alpha to get the gist of what happens overall in each series.
Old 04-06-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Via DVDActive:

So far so good, but I can already tell I won't be buying complete sets, so compilations like these are ideal for the casual fan like me.

I have a question for you Trek experts, though: I quite enjoyed the episode "Balance of Terror" (quick reference: The Enterprise duels with a Romulan ship) and was wondering if there were other episodes (from any of the shows) that centered around a space battle, and more importantly, if there were enough episodes that a Fan Collective set could be made out of it; I've seen bits of other space fights, and they always looked well done. You don't have to worry about spoilers; I've spent enough time browsing through Memory Alpha to get the gist of what happens overall in each series.
As far as extended space battles go, I'm kind of drawing a blank at individual episodes. I think that DS9 probably had the most, since about half of that series revolved around the Federation actually at war and the DS9's ship, the Defiant, was actually a small battleship. One thing I vividly recall is a DS9 episode (the season two finale) where a
Spoiler:
Jem'Hadar ship totally annhilated
a Galaxy-class Federation ship like the Enterprise-D.
But that was really only a small part of the episode, but it was still pretty cool and shocking.
Old 04-06-07, 02:41 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I hope there are arent so many episodes repeated from the other collective sets this time. I bought the others and there are duplicate episodes which is ridiculous.
Old 04-06-07, 07:33 AM

If they are going to be episodes which emphasize on the captains they might include: (sorry, I am not very good at remembering show titles)

The one with Kirk and the Gorn (green lizard guy).

The one with Picard and the alien captain who spoke in phrases.

The one where Sisko goes back in time to earth.

Just a thought.

Anyway, I also like these special collections and am looking forward to it.

James
Old 04-06-07, 08:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by g
I hope there are arent so many episodes repeated from the other collective sets this time. I bought the others and there are duplicate episodes which is ridiculous.
I agree and I would be willing to be there will be repeats from the Picard collection.
Old 04-06-07, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I hope they include the one where Picard is tortured, the one w/ the question about how many lights there are. I was really disappointed when that one was not in the Picard set

What I really wish they would do is release the ST: TV movie collection that is available in R2 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Ge...5867128&sr=1-1
I have a regionless player, but that price is kind of steep IMHO.

Last edited by nemein; 04-06-07 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-06-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
The one with Kirk and the Gorn (green lizard guy).

The one with Picard and the alien captain who spoke in phrases.
That would be 'Arena' and 'Darmok', respectively. The alien in 'Darmok' is Paul "Wrath of Khan" Winfield. (Well, he did other big stuff too, but this *is* a 'Star Trek' thread.)

If you're looking for space battles, you must watch 'Deep Space Nine'. It starts off slow -- bad, even -- but you need to watch the early ones to understand the characters. I would estimate that 60% of the second half of that show is space battles. Season six has an extended arc at the beginning which has maybe the biggest space battles I've ever seen on TV. And Sisko is an awesome captain, because he's crazy (in battle).
Old 04-06-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
'Deep Space Nine'. It starts off slow -- bad, even
Slow I understand, but bad?

Come on.

Here's a list of significant DS9 space battle episodes:

Season 2:

The Jem' HaDar (previously mentioned)

Season 3:

The Search part 1 (first time you see The Defiant, and its firepower...its pulse phaser cannons sort of pound the hell out of ships)

The Die Is Cast

Season 4:

The Way Of The Warrior (first time you see DS9 itself kick some ass)

Starship Down

Paradise Lost

Shattered Mirror

Season 5:

For The Uniform

Soldiers Of The Empire

Call To Arms (massive DS9 vs. The Dominion battle)

Season 6:

A Time To Stand

Sacrifice Of Angels

Valiant

Tears Of The Prophets

Season 7:

Treachery, Faith, and The Great River

Once More Unto The Breach

The Changing Face Of Evil

What You Leave Behind (Series Finale)
Old 04-06-07, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Slow I understand, but bad?
I think he meant bad as in the acting, the writing, the story lines, production value etc... You might disagree but IMHO DS9 doesn't really kick into gear until season 3 or 4.
Old 04-06-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I really hope they include "Far Beyond the Stars" as part of this collection. It would be great if Brooks did a commentary track since he directed it.
Old 04-06-07, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by lisadoris
It would be great if Brooks did a commentary track since he directed it.
And terrible at the same time - for anyone who has DS9 season 6, since none of the season sets had any commentaries - audio or text.
Old 04-06-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
A whole bunch of DS9 episodes
Hmmm, OK. I figured the ship battles would be spread out across the various shows, not just one series. Thanks for the info, though; looks like I have something to look forward to when I inevitably start watching DS9
Old 04-06-07, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Q:What did Spock see in Kirk's toilet?
Old 04-06-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
Not only have Star Trek fans voted online for their all-time favorite captain episodes from all five Star Trek series, but each show’s legendary leader Captain Kirk, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, and Scott Bakula has carefully chosen their favorite episode too.
This sentence cracks me up! Poor Shatner, he'll always be known as Captain Kirk.
Old 04-06-07, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This sentence cracks me up! Poor Shatner, he'll always be known as Denny Crane.

These sets are good for those who'd like samplers of each series, and don't have the thousands to spend on season sets.
Old 04-06-07, 11:14 PM

Hmmm, OK. I figured the ship battles would be spread out across the various shows, not just one series. Thanks for the info, though; looks like I have something to look forward to when I inevitably start watching DS9
I didn't mention the other shows because I don't remember the other shows. For me Trek is all about DS9, and I haven't seen any of the other shows in a few years. (Never saw TOS at all, saw only the first few episodes of ENT Season 1)
Old 04-06-07, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by stinkeye
These sets are good for those who'd like samplers of each series, and don't have the thousands to spend on season sets.
If anyone here is like me and only bought one of the shows, then you don't need thousands of dollars, and these collections can even be enjoyed by someone in my position as well.
Old 04-07-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There Are Four Lights!!!
Old 04-08-07, 05:55 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up the borg and time travel ones, I think that's enough for me
Old 04-08-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As others have said, DS9 has the majority of Star Trek's battle scenes. None of the movies can even compete with that show in terms of sheer scale. I'm talking hundreds to thousands of ships fighting each other! But here goes:

TOS - Balance of Terror
TNG - Yesterday's Enterprise, The Best of Both Worlds I & II
DS9 - The Way of the Warrior, Call to Arms, Sacrifice of Angels
VOY & ENT - I can't recall any "big battle" type episodes on these shows. VOY's Borg episodes did have impressive visuals but I didn't find them extensive enough to call them battles. More like skirmishes. They did have a lot of them though.
Old 04-08-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Q:What did Spock see in Kirk's toilet?
First thing I thought of! Either some marketing exec is being funny, or just clueless.
Old 04-13-07, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should include the TNG episode "Family". Patrick Stewart really shows off his acting skills in that episode IMHO.
Old 04-14-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
IMHO there should be a lot more epidodes featuring Patrick Stewart. I think he is the best actor of the entire franchise.

Some great Picard episodes:
Darmok - already mentioned
Sarek - I think some of his finest scenes.
Family - already mentioned
Chain of Command I&II
Tapestry
The inner light

many others.
Old 07-10-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a rather extensive review of the new set:
http://www.dvdmg.com/startrekcaptainslog.shtml

For those too lazy, the set is spread out like so:
DISC 1 (TOS)
"City on the Edge of Forever"
"The Enterprise Incident"
"Balance of Terror"

DISC 2 (TNG)
"In Theory"
"Chain of Command"
"Darmok"

DISC 3 (DS9)
"Far Beyond the Stars"
"In the Pale Moonlight"
"What You Leave Behind"

DISC 4 (VOY)
"Counterpoint"
"The Omega Directive"
"Flashback"

DISC 5 (ENT)
"Judgment"
"First Flight"
"These Are the Voyages"

Also, each disc comes with introductions from its respective captain on certain episodes, along with a whole bunch of featurettes, all of which seem to be pretty short. Looks like a decent set, to be honest--don't think there's much overlap between the prior Fan Collectives.

And thanks Defiant1 for the episode suggestions. I had completely forgotten about this thread and didn't initially see your reply.
Old 07-10-07, 04:43 PM

While I love the idea of these sets, they haven't hit the theme that I'd buy in a second: a collection of all the episodes featuring the "Mirror Universe". There's some truly great eps that featured "mirror" storylines. Here's the breakdown by series:

Enterprise:
In a Mirror, Darkly"
In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II"
(by far my favorite episode of the entire series)

TOS:
Mirror, Mirror

DS9:
Crossover
Through the Looking Glass
Shattered Mirror
Resurrection
The Emperor's New Cloak

Having all the related extras from the previous season sets included would naturally sweeten the pot. Anyone else anxious to see this happen?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.