Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

FOO FIGHTERS: re-sign with RCA Records

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

The Foo Fighters have re-signed with RCA Records, for which they've recorded since 1999's "There Is Nothing Left To Lose." The group is about to hit the studio with producer Gil Norton, who was previously behind the boards for the band's 1997 sophomore album "The Colour and the Shape."

The set will be the follow-up to 2005's double-disc "In Your Honor," which has sold 1.3 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Overall, the Foos have shifted 7.6 million units since forming in 1995.

The group will play a handful of live dates this summer, including a June 23 opening slot for the Police at Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium and July 7 at a location to be announced as part of Al Gore's Live Earth benefit.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 04-05-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its fine that they are staying, RCA does a decent job of promoting at least. They seem to embrace them. Cant wait til the new album, see if Gil can bring any Colour and Shape magic with him. In Your Honor was a great album IMO, its going to be hard to top TCATS though. Thats one of the best albums of all time I believe.

And if you havent seen or heard the Skin And Bones dvd or cd, you need to ASAP! One of if not the best live dvd or cd. Great great sound.

ff7
Old 04-05-07, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foofighters7
And if you havent seen or heard the Skin And Bones dvd or cd, you need to ASAP! One of if not the best live dvd or cd. Great great sound.

ff7
My bro (OP) and I have actually seen them live
Old 04-06-07, 06:12 AM
Banned

They really need to release 2 things: a DVD of all their videos, and a (THOROUGH) hits CD.

(EDIT) Oh, and I'd buy a "bonus tracks/covers" CD by them in a second, too.
Old 04-06-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Good news. Means there definitley not breaking up after this album.
Old 04-06-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
The group will play a handful of live dates this summer, including a June 23 opening slot for the Police at Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium and July 7 at a location to be announced as part of Al Gore's Live Earth benefit.

This is VERY WRONG! Surely Dave Grohl of all people must remember what Al's wife Tipper tried to do to metal music back in the '80s! I wonder how many other hypocrites will be doing that "benefit".
Old 04-10-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gil Norton producing gets a big thumbs up from me. The Colour and the Shape is one of my favourite album of all time. I love everything the Foo's do and see them every chance I get...I am glad they're staying put on RCA because they have been very good to the band with promotion etc. I can't wait for this new record!
Old 04-12-07, 02:03 PM

wish I woulda been in LA when they did the show for the Skin and Bones dvd/cd. I really should have went to one of the acoustic shows they did on that tour. I knew I would regret it, and I do.
I havent missed a tour since 2000, and missed that one, cause of bad timing.

At any rate, cant wait for the new album.
Old 04-12-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by foofighters7
wish I woulda been in LA when they did the show for the Skin and Bones dvd/cd. I really should have went to one of the acoustic shows they did on that tour. I knew I would regret it, and I do.
I havent missed a tour since 2000, and missed that one, cause of bad timing.

At any rate, cant wait for the new album.
Hate to rub it in, but having seen foo multiple times, you missed one of the best tours ever. I was there for Foo/Frank Black on the 29th...
Old 04-13-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seconded. The Foo's Acoustic show was probably one of the best concerts I have ever seen, period.
Old 04-16-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
not that my $.02 matters, but i'll throw it out there anyway.

It makes me very very sad that a band whose argueably the best in the last 10 years, led by a genius musician/songwriter, in this day and age, can't sell more than 7.6 million albums total (considering they have 5 albums out, thats only 1.5 per). How is this possible? Hell, that should be the total of TCATS alone.
Old 04-16-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeboo835

It makes me very very sad that a band whose argueably the best in the last 10 years, led by a genius musician/songwriter, in this day and age, can't sell more than 7.6 million albums total (considering they have 5 albums out, thats only 1.5 per). How is this possible? Hell, that should be the total of TCATS alone.
Wow, I never realized the sales numbers were so low. Each album has been amazing. Plus Dave deserves the success, he's a helluva guy.
Old 04-16-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeboo835

Yeah, makes you wonder. I bet Radioheads numbers are just as bad.
Old 04-16-07, 12:45 PM

Hopefully Dave will find his songwriting muse again on this one. It had pretty much left him on In Your Honor, in my opinion.
Old 04-16-07, 09:16 PM

I think the songwriting was great on IYH. Maybe not as good as TCATS or TINLTL but the overall music with lyrics were great.

And I agree, if you look at the album sales, its not right. Its sad that some really pathetic groups can sale 5-10 million albums with one album, and a great great band can sell so little in comparison. I would like them to get any recognition they can, Dave deserves it.

Its funny that Foo is big in the U.S., but are huge in other parts of the world. Australia is a huge Foo fanbase, England too, even Japan has a good Foo following. The U.S. should have a absolutly huge Foo following, but really Foo is still in that middle ground of Rock groups. I am kinda glad though theres not an over-saturation of them in the media. I dont listen to the radio much but im sure for the most part they are not over played, (maybe a few songs here or there, im guessing), but nothing huge.