Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Incredible Machine

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Incredible Machine

Does anyone remember this game / series? This was one of my favorite games..

The general objective of the games is to create a series of Rube Goldberg devices: arrange a given collection of objects in a needlessly complex fashion so as to perform some simple task (for example, "put the ball into a box" or "light a candle"). Available objects ranged from simple ropes and pulleys to electrical generators, bowling balls and even cats and mice. The levels usually have some fixed objects that cannot be moved by the player, and so the only way to solve the puzzle is carefully arrange the given objects around the fixed items. There is also a "freeform" option that allows the user to "play" with all the objects with no set goal or to also build their own puzzles with goals for other players to attempt to solve.
Anyone know if there is a similar game out for any current system??

Oh.. And I found this cool video whilst googling "The Incredible Machine":

<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5nmspVOz_Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" ></embed>
Old 04-02-07, 11:28 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Good news -- The Incredible Machine is coming to XBox Live Arcade some time in 2007.
Old 04-02-07, 11:36 AM

From the wiki page:

"The original game has been announced for a download release for the Xbox 360 via Xbox Live Arcade, but so far no price has been said and the only release date is 2007."

From Gamasutra :

"However, the document also reveals a great deal of previously unknown information on Vivendi's strategy, including confirmation of many unannounced titles from the company's Sierra Online division. These include Xbox 360 Live Arcade title Megaforce for this year, alongside Xbox 360 Live Arcade and PC SKUs of 3D Ultra Mini Golf, as well as PC and Xbox 360 Live Arcade titles based on classic puzzler The Incredible Machine in 2007."
Old 04-02-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tube Twist comes pretty close, and it's in 3D!

http://www.pixelparadox.com/arcade_g...twist_game.htm
Old 04-02-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I played the hell out of this on my first Windows-based PC (back in 1995), and have been playing it again on Gametap, great series!
Old 04-02-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was some discussion of it here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=439021

Anyone know how to make this game run on WinXP? I still have this game, but am unable to get it to run on XP.
Old 04-02-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Awesome series. I worked at an Egghead Software when the first one came out and I remember all of us employees working together to finish the game.