Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

EMI music on Itunes...now DRM free.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/02/e...-now-drm-free/

this seems like a pretty big deal but I have to ask a stupid question. WHat is DRM?? What does this mean to me now that the music is DRM free?
Old 04-02-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
WHat is DRM??
Digital rights management.

What does this mean to me now that the music is DRM free?
The short version is that you can do whatever you want with it -- share it, copy it, edit it, burn it -- without any restrictions whatsoever.
Old 04-02-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What needs to be added, though, is that these DRM free tracks will be about $.30 more than their protected counterparts. However, you'll be getting a track with a much higher bitrate (256 AAC).
Old 04-02-07, 09:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
List of artists on the EMI label:

http://www.emigroup.com/About/Music/Default.htm

Remember that, for now at least, this deal only applies to EMI artists on iTunes.

You will be able to "upgrade" any iTunes purchases that you have already made from any EMI artist for 30 cents per track, giving you twice the bitrate quality and removal of DRM restrictions.
Old 04-02-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I buy an album off ituned now (one that still has DRM), can I burn it to a CD?
Old 04-02-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I buy an album off ituned now (one that still has DRM), can I burn it to a CD?
yes
Old 04-02-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes
OK, as long as I can do that, I don't care if the music is DRM or not. All I use are CD's and my ipod.
Old 04-02-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
yes
Well, I think there is a limit or like 6 or 8 times. Of course you can copy the CD you just made, so that never made much sense to me.
Old 04-02-07, 10:13 AM

According to reports, the Beatles catalog is excluded.
Old 04-02-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Well, I think there is a limit or like 6 or 8 times. Of course you can copy the CD you just made, so that never made much sense to me.
Never understood the big deal either. I buy/download the odd song by an artist and then make a cd-r of a cd I have by an artist with the odd song(s) just tacked on. Ex: Buy a greatest hits cd and then download the 2-3 really good songs they left off and then make a new cd combining the two. No DRM. I usually throw away the cds I burn from iTunes.
Old 04-02-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
I always figured Apple made it that simple on purpose. They have always said that DRM is a thing the record companies want, not Apple.

While it sucks that the tracks cost more, I think the full albums are still 9.99, and that's pretty much all I ever buy anyway. Jobs thinks that half of the 5 million tracks on iTunes will be DRM free by the end of the year, which is awesome.
Old 04-02-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
yay, music downloads for more than you can purchase a physical CD, and with much worse audio quality too!
I don't get why you say they're more expensive than a CD, since most albums on iTunes are $9.99.
Old 04-02-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by zebop
According to reports, the Beatles catalog is excluded.
Beatles catalog isn't even on there yet.
Old 04-02-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Most CDs I buy cost between $8 and $12, so on average they're something like $10. And a CD is MUCH better value than a digital download, which if not free is pretty worthless in my opinion.

iTunes is an incredible rip off. Probably the only people for whom it makes sense are those who buy the latest Britney Spears singles. For serious listeners, it is bullshit.
That's all well and good if most of the stuff you buy is $10. However, it doesn't mean a thing if it isn't the case. For example, some of the more recent albums I've been looking at buying around in the $30 range (import) through Amazon, but instead iTunes offers them for $9. Would I perfer the CD? You bet. Would I perfer the CD for an extra $20? Likely not. However, there is also the other end of the spectrum. Recent album was $6 on iTunes, but Amazon wanted $20. I'll take iTunes thanks. Then there are other occassions where iTunes may be a few dollars more, but you get bonus tracks that you can't get on the hard copy.

Unfortunately it's not as clear cut as the pricing would have us believe at first glance. I'll be interested to see if they put a DRM-free section on iTunes. I'll definitely take a stroll through anything they highlight.
Old 04-02-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most CDs I buy cost between $8 and $12, so on average they're something like $10. And a CD is MUCH better value than a digital download, which if not free is pretty worthless in my opinion.

iTunes is an incredible rip off. Probably the only people for whom it makes sense are those who buy the latest Britney Spears singles. For serious listeners, it is bullshit.
Wow, so all the musical theater albums I've been buying on iTunes for 9.99 with almost instant gratification are a ripoff compared to $15-18 + shipping from Amazon and waiting a week?

Thanks for clearing it up for me!
Old 04-03-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, most any CD I buy costs between $12-$18, plus either shipping or sales tax.

Anecdotal evidence batles rock!
Old 04-03-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who wants to go to the store when they can just turn on their computer and have the CD in minutes?
I don't even use CD's anymore. Throw it all on ther ipod, atach it to my car setup and I'm good to go
Old 04-03-07, 10:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This is good news. DRM, like most copy protection schemes, hurts the legitimate customer while having minimal impact on the pirates.
Old 04-03-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Well, most any CD I buy costs between $12-$18, plus either shipping or sales tax.

Anecdotal evidence batles rock!
Wow!! Do you buy your CDs at the mall?
Old 04-03-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, if you people can't hear the difference between an MP3 and a CD, you deserve iTunes.

Plus, it is even more expensive if you consider you can make MP3s out of a CD, but you can't do the opposite without incurring costs and enduring lousy audio quality.
Whatever dude. I'd call your golden ears a curse, not a blessing.
Old 04-03-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by auto
Wow!! Do you buy your CDs at the mall?
Not many malls around here. However, stuff is more expensive in New York.

Actually, I paid around $20 for a Moe Tucker CD. Most CDs I buy I can get for about $12.
Old 04-03-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if you people can't hear the difference between an MP3 and a CD, you deserve iTunes.

Plus, it is even more expensive if you consider you can make MP3s out of a CD, but you can't do the opposite without incurring costs and enduring lousy audio quality.
Pffft. Relax, audiophile. Most of us are fine with the quality on iTunes. I use my iPod in my car stereo system everyday and it impresses everyone who's sat in the passenger side. If you don't like iTunes, that's fine. Just stay the fuck out of these threads. Really.

= J
Old 04-03-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I'm not an audiophile at all.
I think it's safe to say that if you enjoy making fun of people who can't tell the difference between MP3s and CDs, you are an audiophile.
Old 04-03-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not an audiophile at all. But I'm not deaf either.

And this is not an iTunes shrine. Here we're free to discuss its merits, or lack thereof. Go find somewhere else to worship at the Apple altar.
Actually, this thread is here to discuss the DRM portion of iTunes. As I recall, you just came in this thread to slam iTunes. Come on Vandelay, you've been here a while...you know your place. Oh, and not once in this thread did I call this an 'iTunes shrine', or claim all kinds of loyalty to Apple.

= J
Old 04-03-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.