Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sandler To Remake Kane

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sandler To Remake Kane

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 11:43 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandler To Remake Kane

Associated Press, 4-1-07
SANDLER TO REMAKE KANE

Box office megastar Adam Sandler is going to star in and direct a remake of Orson Welles' classic Citizen Kane. "Kane and Caddyshack were my two favorite movies growing up. I've already made a bunch that show the Caddyshack influence, so now I feel like I'm ready for the heavy stuff", said Sandler.

Sandler's films have made over a billion dollars in worldwide box office, though most of that has come from his comedies, including The Waterboy, The Wedding Singer and Big Daddy. However, in recent years he has made dramatic turns in Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish and the currently playing Reign Over Me where his portrayal of a depressed 9/11 widower has won him rave reviews.

When asked if any major casting decisions had been made for his Kane, Sandler revealed that former co-star Drew Barrymore will be playing Emily, Kane’s wife. As for the crucial role of Jedediah Leland, played by Joseph Cotton in the original, "Philip Seymour Hoffman [co-star in Punch-Drunk Love] has been lobbying me pretty hard and he’s a great actor and all, but a couple years ago when I first had the idea to do the remake I promised it to [Rob] Schneider." Fellow ex-"Saturday Night Live" castmember Schneider, who has appeared in most of Sandler’s movies (if only in cameo roles), also co-adapted the screenplay with Adam. "Since day one I’ve been reassuring him that ‘You can do it!’", said Schneider, echoing his catchphrase from Sandler's filmography.

1941's Citizen Kane is one of the most heralded films in cinema history, topping the AFI's list of best American films ever made and universally cited as a masterwork. Director Peter Bogdanovich, friend and biographer of the late Orson Welles, voiced reservations about Sandler's project. "Well, it's the Holiest of Holys, really. I wouldn’t want to see anybody try and tackle that material," he said in a phone interview. "As for Adam Sandler…look what he already did to Capra's Mr. Deeds Goes to Town." Sandler produced and starred in a 2002 remake of that film, simplified to Mr. Deeds, and infused with his own brand of comedy. "I think this will be a Kane in name only," mused Bogdanovich. "I'm afraid he'll become Charles Foster Moron under Sandler." When told about the casting of Barrymore and Schneider, Mr. Bogdanovich could be heard weeping before hanging up the phone and abruptly ending the interview.

"I’m sure people are gonna have their doubts," admitted Sandler, "But I’m confident that when they see it on the screen critics and audiences will be blown away." Filming is set to begin this November.

(april fools)
Old 04-02-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally, a joke. I liked the article.
Old 04-02-07, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is gonna be fantastic. Sandler has really improved dramatically lately and I think he'll have the eye to make this perfect.
Old 04-02-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I also heard that Eddie Murphy is planning a remake of SUNSET BOULEVARD with himself as Norma Desmond.
Old 04-02-07, 01:41 PM
Banned

As soon as I seen the date, Sandlers name and the Movie I know it was a joke
Old 04-02-07, 02:06 PM

Kane's dying words: schoobadoo!