Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Music Sing-Alongs: 1953-2005

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

INTRODUCTION #1

The first booklets of music in my life, at least those I remember, go back to the early 1950s. But the first booklet of music that I put together myself in order to run sing-alongs was in the late 1960s. From about 1953 to 2005, a period of more than 50 years, I was involved in sing-alongs in one form or another. In the last ten years, 1995 to 2005, though, singalongs using booklets of songs I created became rarer and eventually non-existent occasions. In some ways it was fitting that the last three years of singalongs, 2002-2005, I was engaged in were with senior citizens using songbooks whose content was mainly for a generation born in the first quarter of the twentieth century—the earliest years of Baha’i administration, the 1910s and 1920s.

There is material in my one remaining sing-along booklet for all age groups, although there is no material that originated from about 1975 to 2005, the group born in the the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. I did not listen to the music of that generation enough to be familiar with it and certainly not well enough to sing it in groups informally in the Baha’i community and in any other communities of which I was a part.

These resources are here in my booklet, though, for a future time when and if singalongs return to my life and to the groups I am involved with.

Ron Price
May 24th 2005
___________________________________________________ The first booklets of music in my life, at least those I remember, go back to the early 1950s and they were on the piano in the little lounge room where I lived in Canada. But the first booklet of music that I put together myself in order to run sing-alongs was in the late 1960s. From about 1953 to 2005, a period of more than 50 years, I was involved in sing-alongs in one form or another. In the ten years, 1995 to 2005, though, singalongs using booklets of songs I created became rarer and eventually non-existent occasions. In some ways it was fitting that in the last three years of that period(2002-2005) the singalongs I was engaged in were with senior citizens using songbooks whose content was mainly for a generation born in the first quarter of the twentieth century—the earliest years of Baha’i administration, the 1910s and 1920s.

There is material in my one remaining sing-along booklet for all age groups, although there is no material that originated from about 1975 to 2005, the group born in the the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. I did not listen to the music of that generation enough to be familiar with it and certainly not well enough to sing it in groups informally in the Baha’i community and in any other communities of which I was a part. This sing-along booklet is a two-ring binder with 3 A-3 brown files containing multiple copies of the songs I used to sing. But, after 50 years of singing and playing the guitar, the material is now in an archive occupying a small space among 300(approx) other files that I call notebooks and which form one of the critical bases for my writing resources.

These resources are here in my booklet, though, for a future time when and if singalongs return to my life and to the groups I am involved with. for at the age of 62 I may be alive for another 40 years and singing in groups may return to my daily experience. Who knows!

Ron Price
Old 03-24-07, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Old 03-24-07, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow

Hey, that's were my Mom lives!
Old 03-24-07, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fargreg

Hey, that's were my Mom lives!
On the side of the road? You must have had a difficult childhood.

das
Old 03-24-07, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
On the side of the road? You must have had a difficult childhood.

das
Weed...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weed%2C_CA