Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Zed [Led] Zeppelin to reunite?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else heard this? First Genesis, then The Police, and now these guys? My god....I think everyone is trying to really cash in. I have heard it will be Robert, Jimmy,John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham(son of the late drummer John). My God...if this is true...I seriously can't wait.
Old 03-23-07, 08:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No John Bonham. Its like 'The Who' without their drummer (and now bass player).

Also, John Paul Jones made up with those 2 ?
Old 03-23-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Whose motorcycle is this?
It’s a chopper, baby.
Whose chopper is this?
Zed’s.
Who’s Zed?
Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead.
Old 03-23-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Who the hell is Zed Zeppelin? The fifth member from Kentucky?
Old 03-23-07, 08:25 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasbaby
No John Bonham. Its like 'The Who' without their drummer (and now bass player).

Also, John Paul Jones made up with those 2 ?
They can just do what everybody else does and get Zak Starkey. I swear, that kid is probably the best rock drummer in the world right now.
Old 03-23-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-23-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I don't know about Zed Zeppelin, but I'd love to see a Dread Zeppelin reunion!

BRING ON TORTELVIS!!!!

"I'm a whole lotta hunka hunka burning love!!"

(As for LED Zeppelin, it's over and done - LONG over and done. If they were going to do this the time would have been right 15 years ago. Plant's vocal range is gone, and Page is almost as broken down as Ozzy and plays about as sloppy as me. John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham would be the best part of a Led Zeppelin reunion, really.)
Old 03-24-07, 12:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
That Jimmy Page is one hell of a zead guitarist.
Old 03-24-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sensing a Whole Zotta Love in this thread...
Old 03-24-07, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Zed Zeppelin! Zsa Zsa Gabor + Dread Zeppelin! How can you lose?

To be honest, I'd go see this reformation if I scored realistic priced tickets. I was all excited about seeing them for the first time when Bon kicked the bucket. Dammit.
Old 03-24-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After a quick search this is the only thing I could find. Just Jason saying he'd like to play with the band, even if it's only once.

http://www.therockradio.com/2007/03/...hoping-to.html
Old 03-24-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B5Erik
I don't know about Zed Zeppelin, but I'd love to see a Dread Zeppelin reunion!

BRING ON TORTELVIS!!!!

"I'm a whole lotta hunka hunka burning love!!"
Tortelvis has LEFT the band? (Again?) I'd *really* like to see a reunion with Jah Paul Jo. Probably won't happen, alas.
Old 03-24-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
I don't think they'll reunite - altho they only did that ONE time for the Live Aid show - with Phil (gag!) Collins on drums!

Plus, John Paul Jones is a bit peeved at Robert Plant and Jimmy Page for blowing him off when they did that Led Zep unplugged thing on MTV a few years back.

I'm a hard-core Zep fan (with a Swan Song logo tattooed on the back of my right hand to prove it!), and I haven't heard a word about this.

I'm not a big fan of The Who, but I think they should have disbanded after the bass player croaked. I called them "Who's Left?" now!
Old 03-24-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mickey65
I'm not a big fan of The Who, but I think they should have disbanded after the bass player croaked. I called them "Who's Left?" now!
But you still have the two main guys left (just like with Zep) and from many reports I've read the latest Who tour has been pretty damn great.
Old 03-24-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Maybe Zed Yago is getting back together.
Old 03-24-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
But you still have the two main guys left (just like with Zep) and from many reports I've read the latest Who tour has been pretty damn great.
Yeah its pretty good, not crap like that CD they released.
Old 03-24-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey65
I don't think they'll reunite - altho they only did that ONE time for the Live Aid show - with Phil (gag!) Collins on drums!

Plus, John Paul Jones is a bit peeved at Robert Plant and Jimmy Page for blowing him off when they did that Led Zep unplugged thing on MTV a few years back.

I'm a hard-core Zep fan (with a Swan Song logo tattooed on the back of my right hand to prove it!), and I haven't heard a word about this.

They reunited for Knebworth in '90(I think it was) and the Hall of Fame. There was second drummer at Live Aid. I think it was Plant's drummer from the tour he was on. Collins didn't rehearse with them, it was a spur of the moment thing and he kept looking over to the other drummer trying to follow his lead.
There are no bad feelings between Jones and Page/Plant. They have always been and remain good friends. He tossed one good natured jab at them during his acceptance at hall of fame about "remembering his phone number".
The whole point of retiring the band was because Bonham was irreplaceable and they never wanted to come across as Led Zeppelin with a replacement drummer. It would be like The Beatles without Ringo. A rip-off. I guess they could call themselves Page/Plant Jones or PPJ or something. They decided Led Zeppelin consisted of four distinct individuals and anything else would be a pale imitation.
Right off the bat, even before Plant's first solo record, Page and Plant moved on without Jones rehearsing with Chris Squire(bass) and Alan White(drums) of Yes,calling themselves the XYZ Band. If anything got put down on tape it's never surfaced.
I don't ever see this happening, mostly out of the band's desire to leave Led Zeppelin strictly defined as Page/Plant/Jones/ (John)Bonham.
Old 03-24-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
I'm happy that I saw the Page & Plant tour in the mid 90s... that's the closest we'll ever get.
Old 03-24-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
Tortelvis has LEFT the band? (Again?)
Looks like he's kept busy.

Old 05-07-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Zed [Led] Zeppelin to reunite?

Bill Clinton of all people tried

Rock music royalty including the Rolling Stones joined last year's charity show for victims of superstorm Sandy -- but even Bill Clinton couldn't convince Led Zeppelin to play.

Organizers said they tried to get the iconic band to play the so-called "12-12-12" concert at New York's Madison Square Garden in December, alongside the likes of Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, The Who and Eric Clapton.

The Robin Hood Foundation were brainstorming to put the show together in only a few weeks, ultimately raising $50 million to help victims of the October 29 hurricane-strength storm which killed about 120 people.

"There were two bands that we were trying desperately to recruit, one was Rolling Stones, the other was Led Zeppelin," the group's executive director David Saltzman explained on CBS news show "60 Minutes."

Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein "had this great idea that we could enlist Bill Clinton to convince Led Zeppelin to reunite to perform at the 12-12-12 concert.

"So, Harvey and I got on a plane to fly down to Washington to meet with President Clinton who was going to be seeing the members of Led Zeppelin, who were being honored at the Kennedy Center.

"And, you know, the president was terrific. He goes, 'I really want to do this. This would be a fantastic thing. I love Led Zeppelin.' And Bill Clinton himself asked Led Zeppelin to reunite. And they wouldn't do it."
http://www.newsdaily.com/article/1a5...-to-sandy-show

Old 05-07-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

It's been 6 six years since their last show together - which was done only by request by Ahmet's wife as a tribute for him (The president of Atlantic Records) after he passed away. If they haven't done anything since then, I don't think they ever will.
Old 05-07-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's not happening. Pretty sad because that tribute show was really damn good. My guess is that Robert doesn't want to be a touring only act and he doesn't want to write Zeppelin style music anymore so he has no reason to get the band back together.
Old 05-08-13, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

I have a personal feeling that they have become perfectionist about their image. A less than stellar performance is a stain on that image. They rehearsed six weeks for the reunion show and pulled it off. They performed like they had been on tour non stop for 40 years. Not a quickly slapped together performance you often get from benefits and reward shows.
If they can't do it right they're not going to do it, and going through six weeks of rehearsal for a single show is asking a lot.