Smallville -- "Combat" -- 03/22/07

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Smallville -- "Combat" -- 03/22/07

"Combat"
Spoiler:
Clark and Chloe discover that Titan (Kane), a Zoner, stars in a secret fight-club with battles that broadcast on the Internet.

Originally Aired: March 22, 2007
Old 03-22-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
"Combat"
Spoiler:
Clark and Chloe discover that Titan (Kane), a Zoner, stars in a secret fight-club with battles that broadcast on the Internet.

Originally Aired: March 22, 2007
You've gotta love Smallville's penchant for following up good episodes with lousy ones.
Old 03-22-07, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
You've gotta love Smallville's penchant for following up good episodes with lousy ones.
C'mon, last time Smallville had a WWF wrestler guest starring as a Zoner, it was.........oh yeah, I see your point.
Old 03-22-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Chicagoans: this episode will air on Saturday (WGN will show a Bulls game tonight instead)
Old 03-22-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Wow - this sounds just awful.
Old 03-22-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Vipper II

ANNNNNNNND HOW!

This was pretty friggin' horrible (and it's not even over yet) and the "music" was very fucking annoying. I hate to say it, but the only part that wasn't annoying for me was Kane.

So....lessee...we had "Ashley", Kane and Vince was namechecked. Wonder how much Vinny had to pay for this WWExtravaganza...
Old 03-22-07, 07:50 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Although, I must say that Lois + red leather = EXCELLENT!

I've lost count of this show's deus ex machinas.

Last edited by Vipper II; 03-22-07 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-22-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Okay...Clark's HADOUKEN was kinda cool.

Another thing...I know Kryptonians can beat the shit outta each other, but if the yellow sun powers Clark and makes him "invincible" and unbreakable (so to speak), why is he bleeding? Does that mean Kryptonians have kryptonite flowing through their veins? Right?
Old 03-22-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So it's Thursday, and a new episode of Smallville was on, and as I was watching, the day sped up because we got the Friday Smackdown on the CW for better part of the last half of the episode. That being said, cool fight, (nice uppercut, Clark) considering they are on a TV production budget.

Oh yeah, more Lois in the red leather outfits.
Old 03-22-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are they about to go on another break? Good God Almighty, they just came back from a break. This will be the third break this season. How about film enough shows in advance where you don't have to take a damn break every 4 shows. It's ridiculous.

As for the episode, meh. But somehow I still enjoy this season's bad shows much more than previous seasons.
Old 03-22-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Networks live for November, February and May sweeps months (roughly 12 episodes). They have to sprinkle the remaining 8-12 new episodes amongst 5-6 months.
Old 03-22-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Episode was better than I thought it'd be. Loved the little Lana-Lex chat at the end - Love the dark theme there.

Gotta check spoiler reports now.
Old 03-22-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The episode was eh... it was only good in the final act, with Clark going through the morality conscience of his actions again and Ma Kent reassuring him that's what makes him human, yada yada yada... Loved Lex's line to Lana about how people can't control things.

I don't like seeing pro wrestlers outside their professions! I guess it's the only convincing way to show bad-ass Phantom Zoners.
Old 03-22-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Looks like garbage, but I am watching anyways
Old 03-22-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
This was pretty friggin' horrible (and it's not even over yet) and the "music" was very fucking annoying.
What the Hell was up with the music? It had a completely different "feel" and really distracted from the (lousy) episode.
Old 03-23-07, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the fight scene was one of the best of the entire run. Seems like most episodes, the last fight is over in about 30 seconds...this one actually lasted long enough to remember.

But yeah, otherwise it was pretty much average at best. The Lana scenes were particularly awful as usual.
Old 03-23-07, 07:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I liked the episode, liked the new music.

Man Tom Welling is great as superman....
Old 03-23-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like the music as well, but the episode was bad. Not as bad as the snoozefest last week.

This season was shaping up to be one of the best. Unfortunately, the show is spiraling downward fast.
Old 03-23-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Not good - but we've endured worse bad in previous seasons.
Old 03-23-07, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too have to say that the music was terrible and totally out of place.

Usually, when you have 2 people talking to each other, you keep the background music really low, but in this case the music director must have been on crack, because he cranked up the music way too loud.

And yes, this was a pretty bad episode. The whole Lois story arch seemed to be thrown in just to finally get her some screen time. It was so out of place.

Chris
Old 03-23-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Call me crazy, but I really liked this episode. Clark taking control of a situation like he should and actually fighting back, and then feeling remorse for killing someone. Although, what happened to the Superman thing that put all the phantoms in the PZ from earlier in the season?

Lex is so far in over his head and he is so far into being a SOB now it's not funny. Although, I think the possible storyline of him getting some of Titan's blood and using it for experiments could be AMAZING.

Season Six is the best season. It's official now, IMO.
Old 03-23-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Okay...Clark's HADOUKEN was kinda cool.

Another thing...I know Kryptonians can beat the shit outta each other, but if the yellow sun powers Clark and makes him "invincible" and unbreakable (so to speak), why is he bleeding? Does that mean Kryptonians have kryptonite flowing through their veins? Right?

A Kryptonian on Earth is not "invincible." Virtually invincible, maybe, but they can still be hurt if hit with enough. Look at what Doomsday did to him in the comics. Darkseid has messed him up something awful as well. Think of it this way, if a Kryptonian is battling someone of equal or approximate strength, then it would be like you fighting someone the same size, build, and skill as your own. You'll probably get a little bloody.

It's been shown before that a big enough force can hurt Clark, even if he's not in the vacinity of Kryptonite or Magic. A big enough calibur Gun (we're talking the nose cannon on an A-10 Warthog, here) has been shown to knock him off his feet. Taking a rocket to the chest is enough to daze him, and a nuclear explosion has damn-near killed him. He's not invulnerable... just much more so than your average human. The only comic character I can think of that is just completely and utterly invincible - I mean to the point of taking a nuke to the chest without flinching - is The Saint of Killers from "Preacher" ("Not enough gun"). Other than that, the term "invulnerable" in the comic book universe is a sliding scale that basically means "really frackin' tough and hard to hurt."

Doc
Old 03-23-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Three great things about yesterday's episode:

Lois & Athena!
Clark finally has a real fight
Lana no longer pregnant

And a distant 4th: I didn't notice any of those annoying "Green Arrow" webisode ads.
Old 03-23-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Oh yeah, more Lois in the red leather outfits.
I thought she'd whip out some sai and do her best Elektra impersonation.
Old 03-23-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I too have to say that the music was terrible and totally out of place.

Usually, when you have 2 people talking to each other, you keep the background music really low, but in this case the music director must have been on crack, because he cranked up the music way too loud.
Thank you! It's like the dialogue was on 3 and the music was on 11.
And yes, this was a pretty bad episode. The whole Lois story arch seemed to be thrown in just to finally get her some screen time. It was so out of place.
Yeah, and let's not forget her choice of outfits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.