DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

MST3K Volume 11 Contents Announced...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MST3K Volume 11 Contents Announced...

Thanks to www.mst3kinfo.com :

VOLUME 11 LINEUP
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 11, tentatively due out on May 15 from Rhino Home Video, will contain:

* episode 206- THE RING OF TERROR (with short: THE PHANTOM CREEPS PT 3)
* episode 409- THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN (with short: UNDERSEA KINGDOM PT 2)
* episode 414- TORMENTED
* episode 1011- HORRORS OF SPIDER ISLAND

In addition, it will contain these extras:

* MST3K Video Jukebox, Volume 2
* Original Theatrical Trailers (for all except "Ring of Terror")
* A "Tormented" Reunion (with Bert I. Gordon, Susan Gordon and Joe Turkel)
* MST Hour "Jack Perkins" Wraps for "Tormented"

And, says our source, "future volumes of the MST3K Collection will feature some pretty exciting extras." Hmmm...
Old 03-20-07, 04:18 AM

Awesome. I was starting to worry that Vol. 11 would never happen.

I remember liking Ring of Terror a lot back on Comedy Central. Horrors of Spider Island is a good one too.

I haven't seen Indestructible Man or Tormented, so that'll be great to have two "new" episodes.

And, says our source, "future volumes of the MST3K Collection will feature some pretty exciting extras." Hmmm...
I'm just glad to know that future volumes are assured. Keep releasing them, Rhino, and I'll keep buying them!
Old 03-20-07, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Excellent! I love Tormented...didn't think I'd ever see it show up. I hope this volume stays on the shelf longer than 10 (which thankfully I bought when it first arrived).
Old 03-20-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ring of Terror is an awesome addition. I added this one to the digital archive project, but my copy of it was pretty mediocre. This is one that really needed a major upgrade so I'm glad we get a real release from Rhino.

One thing is for sure. Buy this set immediately. You wait a few months and it may vanish like sets 9 and 10.

Really some awesome episodes in this set.
Old 03-20-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anyone sees this show up for pre-order somewhere, please post the info! I don't want to miss out like I did for Vol. 10.
Old 03-20-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thank goodness!!! I was starting to worry about this one.
Old 03-20-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slappy
* episode 409- THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN (with short: UNDERSEA KINGDOM PT 2)
Wasn't this the episode which was released on VHS and then pulled for rights issues? If so, how interesting...

'The Horrors of Spider-Island' has one of my favorite recurring jokes from the Sci-Fi era; there's a *lot* of filler in the movie involving teenagers dancing on the beach and stuff like that, and, at several points, they'll be watching these long pointless sequences and Mike will throw in "The *Horrors* of Spider-Island".

Is that the one with the 'Annie Hall' reference ("A spider the size of a Buick is attacking this Buick!"), or is that 'The Giant Spider Invasion'?
Old 03-20-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Nice - 3 Joel's...
Old 03-20-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That seems like a lot more extras than they usually put in these sets. I hope that's the way they will keep releasing them in the future.
Old 03-20-07, 11:10 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Wasn't this the episode which was released on VHS and then pulled for rights issues? If so, how interesting...
No, you're thinking of "The Amazing Colossal Man". All four of these movies are in public domain; I'm guessing Rhino is trying to avoid a rights debacle like with Vol. 10.

This is a solid, kind of low-key collection; no hugely popular, well-known episodes, but still an enjoyable set (especially Tormented). The extras look pretty good; it's great they're including the MST Hour sequences.

Last edited by sb5; 03-20-07 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack Perkins = Sale
Old 03-20-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I don't recognize a one of them, I'll be buying this on release day
Old 03-20-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was also worried this may not happen, so I'm relieved now. To be honest, I'm such an MST3K fan that it doesn't matter to me which episodes are released, because I'll buy any and all. But I do have my favorites, and I'm patiently waiting for them with my VHS and VCDs ready to be replaced.
Old 03-20-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
No, you're thinking of "The Amazing Colossal Man".
you may have noticed, I can't always tell the episodes apart by name...

This is a solid, kind of low-key collection; no hugely popular, well-known episodes, but still an enjoyable set (especially Tormented).
Out of curiosity, does anybody know how these episodes ranked on the fan-poll Rhino did a year or two back? I'm wondering how much they're following that, because my favorite episode was a public domain movie which did decently in that poll (top 20, or so, I think).
Old 03-20-07, 03:32 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

On the most recent Rhino poll (which went from 1 to 137):

Ring of Terror was 107
Indestructible Man was 134
Tormented was 85
Horrors of Spider Island was 56

Looks like they didn't pay attention to the poll at all for this Collection...

Rhino MST3K Poll

Last edited by sb5; 03-20-07 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Giant Spider Invasion was one of the first episodes I ever saw of the series and when I read Horrors of Spider Island I almost thought it was it. Not a big deal, though, as given the price of these sets I've never actually bought any of them and now I'm way behind...

Wooo! Packers won the Superbowl!
Old 03-20-07, 03:55 PM

Giant Spider Invasion was already released in Vol. 10.
Old 03-20-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Good news, all! Two of my favaorites are here (Ring of Terror,Tormented) and it's nice to see more extras;there's a ton of stuff that can be included in future sets. And it's nice to hear this series is still going strong. It's good to know Mr. BIG has a sense of humor, considering the skewering he got from the SOL.
Old 03-21-07, 08:54 AM

Thank you Jesus. Alright, these look like acceptable episodes.

Ring of Terror is a real rarity from the second season. Tom Servo gets a "haircut". My copy of this is a little blurbley, so it'll be great to have a pristine DVD.

Indestructible Man is blah. It's alright. It's sort of a "lost episode" in that nobody really talks about it. Something about Lon Chaney Jr. surviving his execution and having his vengeance. It's very, very black and white.

Tormented is actually a pretty good movie. It's fairly watchable without the robots, but I guess the perfectly made up disembodied head of a 1950's supermodel saying "You killed me, Tom!" is accidentally funny. Good episode.

Horror of Spider Island is dynamite. I love the Sci Fi era episodes. I've said it on this board before, but the writing was much sharper, the jokes much crueler, and sadly for Mike, the robots have evolved into little torturers. Mike turning into a human spider at the end of the episode is pure genius.

Nice extras too! I'd love ALL of the MST3K Hour bumpers to see a release all at once, if that's possible. I barely remember them, and only have one set (from War of the Colossal Beast) on tape.

I'm very happy today. This is great news!
Old 03-21-07, 08:57 AM

From MST3Kinfo:

The release date has been pushed back to June 26th. Damn.
Old 03-21-07, 12:33 PM

Ethan: I definately agree about the Sci Fi era episodes. I mean, I love Joel - but Mike Nelson is just dynamite, and has really perfect comedic timing. I can't wait until The Final Sacrifice and/or Horror of Party Beach get a release.
Old 03-21-07, 12:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
Ethan: I definately agree about the Sci Fi era episodes. I mean, I love Joel - but Mike Nelson is just dynamite, and has really perfect comedic timing. I can't wait until The Final Sacrifice and/or Horror of Party Beach get a release.
I watched 'Boogey Creek II' and 'Merlin's Shop..' last night, the latter was downright hysterical - what of Mike Nelson's episodes/box sets are 'the best'?
Old 03-21-07, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I watched 'Boogey Creek II' and 'Merlin's Shop..' last night, the latter was downright hysterical - what of Mike Nelson's episodes/box sets are 'the best'?
My personal favorites are "Time Chasers" (from Vol. 5), "Girl in Gold Boots" (from Vol. 4), and "Teenage Strangler" (though it's not a Sci-Fi era Mike episode - from the OOP Vol. 10)

And yes, "Merlin" is unbelievably hilarious.
Old 03-21-07, 07:13 PM

Sounds like you have the 5th volume, which currently contains the best of the Sci Fi era.

Sci Fi got off to an amazing start with MST3K's eighth season... their first episode was a sequel to Creature from the Black Lagoon! Sadly, this, their best work, will never see dvd release because almost all of the 8th season are Universal "classics" that would be too expensive to get the rights to again.
Old 03-21-07, 08:23 PM

Space Mutiny might be the best episode ever. Its on collection volume 4. Do yourslef a favor, if you dont own it, buy it. That volume also has overdrawn at the memory bank with Raul Julia and girl in gold boots. Hamlet is also included in the set, but it wasnt very funny. Kinda boring.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.