NiGHTS for Wii (?!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NiGHTS for Wii (?!)

http://gonintendo.com/?p=14685

Good: A possible new NiGHTS game.

Bad Very Bad Horrifying: Sega's recent track record.
Old 03-16-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering that Yuji Naka said he never wanted to do a sequel to NiGHTS....

Still, I would rather see a sequel never come out than to see this classic butchered...
Old 03-16-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy
Considering that Yuji Naka said he never wanted to do a sequel to NiGHTS....
Yeah.. in 2000.

Here's more from Wikipedia on it:

It is said that Yuji Naka refuses to release a sequel because he cannot improve the game any further other than a graphical update. In the December 2000 issue of the Official UK Dreamcast magazine he explained:

"I know a lot of people love it and want us to make a sequel, but for us it's a really important game. Like the way Spielberg likes E.T. so much he won't remake it, I don't want to make another NiGHTS."

In an interview in the November 2003 edition of Edge, he was asked whether he would like to develop another NiGHTS game:

"I see NiGHTS as a license. When dealing with such a license from the past it is quite a lot of work, but I would like to use NiGHTS to reinforce Sega's identity, yes."

In a February 2005 interview he stated that a NiGHTS sequel would have to be of perfect quality, so it would take a long time to, in his words, "get it right." [citation needed]

In April 2006 the Japanese game magazine Famitsu published a rumor saying that a game creator who recently went independent is creating a game featuring a flying clown for the Wii console. Many people were led to believe that the developer is Yuji Naka and the game will be a NiGHTS sequel. According to IGN the rumor story goes on to hint that this has something to do with a recent conversation the writers had with someone who created a famous bearded character. Naka has stated that the Wii is the "perfect console" for a NiGHTS sequel, if such a game was ever developed. [5] Rumors regarding a Wii version continued to appear during 2006. [6]
Old 03-16-07, 11:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Yeah.. in 2000.

Here's more from Wikipedia on it:

It is said that Yuji Naka refuses to release a sequel because he cannot improve the game any further other than a graphical update. In the December 2000 issue of the Official UK Dreamcast magazine he explained:

"I know a lot of people love it and want us to make a sequel, but for us it's a really important game. Like the way Spielberg likes E.T. so much he won't remake it, I don't want to make another NiGHTS."
But then Naka saw the 20th anniversary edition of E.T. and realized it was time to redo NiGHTS, except it was going to be populated with only walkie talkies.
Old 03-19-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd be down for a NiGHTS sequel on the Wii. This has been rumored for quite awhile though.
Old 03-30-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's true!

Now let's pray for the best considering what Sega has done in the last five years.
Old 03-30-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
In a February 2005 interview he stated that a NiGHTS sequel would have to be of perfect quality, so it would take a long time to, in his words, "get it right." [citation needed]

In April 2006 the Japanese game magazine Famitsu published a rumor saying that a game creator who recently went independent is creating a game featuring a flying clown for the Wii console. Many people were led to believe that the developer is Yuji Naka and the game will be a NiGHTS sequel.
So theoretically it has been in the works for a year already?

I've never played/seen the original. I was never a big Sega fan. Anyone want to give me a crash course on the game?

I wonder if it is on wiki...
Old 03-30-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

eh, you don't know what you're talking about

Sega did an excellent job on VF5 and Armored Core 4, as well as virtua tennis 3
Old 03-30-07, 02:46 PM
Retired

I've never played the first (never had a saturn) either, but I always wanted to play it.

Hopefully they'll port the original on the disc (or make it a preorder bonus) when this comes out.
Old 03-30-07, 03:05 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Original was great fun. Controls were a perfect introduction to the wonders of analog sticks!!

You basically were on a mission to defeat the end boss who was stealing dreams..

You fly nights with the analog stick flying nights through 3d levels doing acrobatic manuvers through rings and such. There were some pretty cool boss stages too, as well as the occasional on foot sections (as one of the 2 child characters). The music, graphics and controls were just perfect together.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 03-30-07 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-30-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
eh, you don't know what you're talking about

Sega did an excellent job on VF5 and Armored Core 4, as well as virtua tennis 3
Armored Core 4? Really.

Sega has had so many misses lately that I really fear getting excited about any of their games. My fingers are crossed big time on Nights.
Old 03-30-07, 03:09 PM

Yea bro

Armored Core 4 is absolutely amazing. The reviewers are WAY off, tbh
Old 03-30-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
Yea bro

Armored Core 4 is absolutely amazing. The reviewers are WAY off, tbh
I usually like the stuff developed by From Software, but the reviewers have crap hammered this one. Hopefully they will put up a demo so I can try it.
Old 03-30-07, 03:16 PM

the main problem with the game is just getting acclimated to building mechs, or improving upon the one given to you in the beginning.

I messed mine up pretty badly, and contemplated starting the game over (after about an hour or 2 of playing)

that was really the only frustrating part about the game. I use control scheme 2, and recommend it to everyone
Old 03-30-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nights 2...OMG OMG OMG! The pictures this morning are comforting that this is not being handled as poorly as alot recent Sega titles. If they deliver, this baby better sell or heads are going to roll.
Old 03-31-07, 01:06 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I refuse to believe the pictures and info today are anything but sick April's Fool's jokes that have run rampant. Please prove me wrong!
Old 03-31-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IIG
I refuse to believe the pictures and info today are anything but sick April's Fool's jokes that have run rampant. Please prove me wrong!
If it's a joke, it's probably one of the most well-done hoaxes (on video games) ever done.
Old 04-02-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams confirmed for Wii this winter
According to Famitsu, Sonic Team USA will have its sequel to legendary Saturn title NiGHTS ready for a Wii release this winter. NiGHTS 2 will now be known as NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (although that name isn't confirmed for the Japanese market). Famitsu explains that the main attraction of Journey of Dreams is how it provides gameplay with the Wii Remote, where you can glide, drift, ascend, and loop-the-loop without even thinking about the controls. Takashi Izuka of Sonic Team USA is Producer of NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. He leaves Famitsu, and the rest of the weeping-with-tears-of-joy world, with this comment:

"In 1996, we created the NiGHTS character to achieve a concept of 'being refreshed from being able to fly in the sky'. 11 years later, at last, we have broken our silence. NiGHTS will now fly in a new dream world: new stages, new story, and on the new Wii platform. Please look forward to NiGHTS and friends exploring this brand new adventure."
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/02/ni...i-this-winter/
Old 04-02-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice!
Old 04-03-07, 09:25 PM

I never thought I'd see this happen! I can't wait for this one, I loved Nights, and Wii controls seem like a good fit for the flying nature of the game. Can't wait to see some movies, i've been watching youtube movies that are reminding me how awesome the game is
Old 04-04-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

EB Games has a page for it now:

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?c...ct%5Fid=230102
Old 04-04-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I didn't have so much on my plate now I'd give the original a spin, along with Christmas NiGHTS (which I would at a flea market for $3 two year ago!). Too bad I don't have the analog controller for it.. I wonder how much it's going for on eBay.
Old 04-04-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/04/ni...ather-effects/

Looks like Sega is trying to stage a comeback. After years of wading in a pool of mediocrity, there is a feeling of change in the air. Following the announcement of NiGHTS for the Wii, details are starting to emerge that Sega is actually putting -- oh, what's the word -- effort behind the new game. The most striking being the use of the Wii's Forecast Channel to change scenery based on real-world conditions.

NiGHTS will also have three masks (Dragon, Dolphin and Rocket) giving shape-shifting abilities. There will be seven dream worlds and using Wii Connect 24 players will be able to "exchange items with friends." Sega has burned us too many times in recent years for us to be optimistic about the new NiGHTS; however, we must admit we are in a state of cautious optimism. We'll be happy if NiGHTS doesn't add fuel to the Wiimote control issues fire.
So does that mean everytime I play Nights, it will be sunny?
Old 04-04-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, they mentioned Animal Crossing using the Forecast Channel too a while ago. I'm not so sure how well that'll work.. especially in areas that have limited weather conditions. I'll bet it'll be an option to use it or not in the games that support it.
Old 04-04-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It makes more sense for sports games (as you can be playing in different parts of the country).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.