Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beastie Boys - New Album - Summer 2007

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beastie Boys - New Album - Summer 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beastie Boys - The Mix-Up [Instrumental] - Summer 2007

Updated Info from Beastie Boys email:

OK, here's our blurb about our new album -- it spits hot fire! -- hot shit! it's official... it's named THE MIX-UP. g'wan. all instrumental record. "see i knew they were gonna do that!" that's a quote from you. check the track listing and cover below. you love us. don't you?

1. B For My Name
2. 14th St. Break
3. Suco De Tangerina
4. The Gala Event
5. Electric Worm
6. Freaky Hijiki
7. Off The Grid
8. The Rat Cage
9. The Melee
10. Dramastically Different
11. The Cousin Of Death
12. The Kangaroo Rat[/PHP]

****************Old Post**************************
From Billboard

March 05, 2007, 10:20 AM ET
Jeff Vrabel, Bluffton, S.C.

An uncharacteristically short three years after their last disc, 2004's "To the 5 Boroughs," the Beastie Boys are putting the finishing touches on a new record. "Hopefully that'll be out this summer, too," group member Adam Yauch tells Billboard.

Though he remained characteristically tight-lipped about details, Yauch says the Beasties plan to air out some of the new material in a series of dates this summer, including a headlining slot at the Sasquatch Festival, to be held May 26-27 at the Gorge Amphitheatre in George, Wash.

From there, the Beastie Boys head to Europe for a series of festival dates. The band also plays a headlining set in Paris on June 26.

As first reported here Friday, Yauch has also produced a new record by the original lineup of Bad Brains, "Build a Nation," due in late May or early June via Megaforce.

Here are the Beastie Boys' tour dates:

May 27: George, Washington (Sasquatch Festival)
June 10: Lisbon (Alive! Festival)
June 17: Istanbul (Efes Pilsen One Love Festival)
June 22: Scheessel, Germany (Hurricane Festival)
June 24: Neuhasen, Germany (Southside Festival)
June 26: Paris (Le Zenith)
June 28: Werchter, Belgium (Rock Werchter Festival)
June 30: Gdynia, Poland (Heineken Festival)

Last edited by FrozenMetalHead; 05-02-07 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-06-07, 11:01 AM

"To the 5 Boroughs" was a better-than-expected Beastie cd. Here's hoping the new disc is just as good. For someone like me who is not a rap fan, the Beastie Boys (and Public Enemy) have always been an exception.
Old 03-06-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shaping up to be a good year with new R.E.M., possibly new stuff from the Crow(e)s (Counting and Black, I think), White Stripes, Beasties...anyone else I'm missing?

Thanks for the news.
Old 03-06-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasn't crazy about "Boroughs", hopefully we see better production quality and less political BS on the new Beasties Album.
Old 03-06-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Hope it's better than "Boroughs," I'd hate to say it's easily my least favorite Beasties album.
Old 03-06-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by reubs82
Shaping up to be a good year with new R.E.M., possibly new stuff from the Crow(e)s (Counting and Black, I think), White Stripes, Beasties...anyone else I'm missing?
Smashing Pumpkins
Old 03-06-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Hope it's better than "Boroughs," I'd hate to say it's easily my least favorite Beasties album.
I wouldn't say it's my least favorite. I'd rank them as follows:

Check your Head
Paul's boutique
Ill communication
Hello Nasty
To the 5 Boroughs
License to Ill

(i know a lot of people like license to ill, but I think it's mostly immature and i can't even listen to it anymore. i can only listen to a couple songs).

I guess its my least favorite of any that i actually still listen to.
Old 03-06-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Thanks for the news.
Guns and ohhh wait.... nevermind.
Old 03-08-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved To the 5 Boroughs so I'm really looking forward to the new CD.
Old 03-08-07, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully it will be their (never-yet-achieved) return to the fine form they had on "License To Ill", the only good BB CD from beginning to end.

But, prob'ly not.
Old 03-08-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Hopefully it will be their (never-yet-achieved) return to the fine form they had on "License To Ill", the only good BB CD from beginning to end.

But, prob'ly not.
Old 03-08-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But, prob'ly not.
I'm going to disagree. While "License to Ill" was good, but I wouldn't say it was beginning to end. It had some good singles but teh whole album isn't up to par with the still-brilliant Paul's Boutique.
Old 03-08-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Only one American date all summer?

Sasquatch might be the place to be if you are in the states.
Old 03-09-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to disagree. While "License to Ill" was good, but I wouldn't say it was beginning to end. It had some good singles but teh whole album isn't up to par with the still-brilliant Paul's Boutique.
What he said.

I like all their albums, but "Paul's Botique" stands alone. I'll be getting their new one when it comes out.
Old 03-09-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paul's Boutique was proof that a rap album could be elevated to an true piece of art. It's still fascinating to listen to.
Old 03-09-07, 07:15 PM

There's an article on pitchfork that talks about Yauch producing the next Bad Brains album. The article also states:
Yauch says the Beasties are "focusing on playing instruments [and] not really working with drum machines and samples" on the record, which they are in the process of mixing. The album is currently untitled, but they hope to release it this spring.
Old 03-12-07, 03:06 PM

But, prob'ly not.
Well, that's just plain silly.
Go listen to 'Paul's Boutique.' Then listen to it again. And again. Repeat as often as you can. I reccomend it.

I never skip a track. That's consistancy.

'Check Your Head' is damn good, too, but does have the occasional skip.

I personally really liked To 'The Five Boroughs' - it had a great old school hip hop feel, with fun samples and sparse drum machine production. I's put it at #4 on my all-time B-Boys list, behind 'Paul's,' 'CYH,' & 'Ill Communication.' I never much cared for 'Hello Nasty,' and 'License to Ill' is just plain silly these days.
Old 03-13-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by huh?
I wasn't crazy about "Boroughs", hopefully we see better production quality and less political BS on the new Beasties Album.
I hope so too.
Old 03-14-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Bouroughs felt like they just rushed it out, few samples, no instruments...it didnt have that daring Beasties feel....looking foreward to this
Old 05-02-07, 08:58 AM

Updated the lead post with the tracklisting and cover art. The new album - The Mix-Up - is going to be an instrumental album. There was a thread on their message board that provides this mini-review.

One of the tracks have a fuzz box on the bass, but there are no tracks that sound like anything off of Check Your Head or Ill Communication that have that more edgey punk distortion. I'd say that 80% of the songs are above 120 - 130 BPM. There are really only a couple of songs that are a bit more chill and those still are not too terribly slow.

Some of the songs like 14 St Break and the Suco de Tangerina sound like they could have been in an a Gidget movie. They're kinda quirky and have that good feeling rockin out from the 60's.

I think the "mix" comes with all of the different instruments and layering of sounds/effects. It's not just drums, bass, and guitar. There's an organ or keyboard on almost every track along with shakers and even like a sitar on one track and a whistle on another. It's really "mixed up" in that respect so I think that's where the title may come from.
Old 05-02-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by huh?
I liked it a little more than you did, but I completely agree that MCA's rantings were tiresome, obvious and instantly dated.

"George W's got nothin' on we, we got to take the power from he!" *cringe*
Old 05-02-07, 12:08 PM

I enjoyed "Boroughs" quite a bit. Paul's Boutique is still the gold standard though. I daresay one of the best albums ever, by any artist/group. Certainly one of the 5 best rap albums ever. It was ahead of its time.

But I'm a little unclear... are they saying the new album is strictly instrumental? No rapping/singing?
Old 05-02-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If this new disc is all instrumental, then I can definitely mark it OFF my list of things to buy this summer. Bleh.
Old 05-02-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
If this new disc is all instrumental, then I can definitely mark it OFF my list of things to buy this summer. Bleh.
Considering the instrumentals on some of their other albums have "instant skip" status with me, I think I agree with you.
Old 05-02-07, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jray
But I'm a little unclear... are they saying the new album is strictly instrumental? No rapping/singing?
Correct. No rapping or singing. I'm a huge BBoys fan, so I'll definitely be picking it up. However, I can see why many people won't be that interested.

Pitchfork put up an interview with Mike D today. Here's a few key quotes:

Mike D: "...There are no vocals, no samples. We played everything. But as different as that might be from To the 5 Boroughs, it's equally different from instrumental songs we've done before, like the ones that were on The In Sound From Way Out! That was kind of one direction and this one [has] different influences, like Public Image Ltd., Gang of Four, the Slits, Killing Joke."
Even though The Mix-Up is a "post-punk instrumental" album, the Beasties have no plans to ditch vocals for good. In fact, they are currently planning another version of the album that will feature collaborations with "a pretty wide array" of "mostly newer" vocalists.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.