Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Black Donnellys - A Stone of the Heart - 3/5/2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Black Donnellys - A Stone of the Heart - 3/5/2007

Did everyone bail on this one already? I thought it was pretty good tonight, and I generally don't go for mob movies/TV. It'll be interesting to see how Tommy fends off the Italians.

at Joey Ice Cream "remembering" that he was there and the brothers not knowing how he got there.
Old 03-05-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I hated last weeks episode, but this one was a bit better. Probably because Jimmy was only on screen for a minute or two.
Old 03-05-07, 10:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was better than the pilot as well, but that's not saying much.

Olivia Wilde is so damn hot
Old 03-05-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't like unreliable narrator stories.

Not sure if I like this show, some of brothers are too damn dumb or tempermental to give a rat's ass about.
Old 03-06-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I don't like unreliable narrator stories.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't know how long they can keep this up. The guy can't be questioned forever.

I'm enjoying this show well enough. It's nothing too great but I think if they get the characters rolling it could be a good show. Although I am kind of tired of Tommy's sourpuss, about-to-cry expression all the time.

I've always been a fan of Thomas Guiry, hopefully he can turn his character into something more than he already is.
Old 03-06-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
looks like the actor who played on the sopranos got switched (guy that was hanging out with nicky and beat the brother half to death). unless that guy hangin with nicky tonight was some other character.
Old 03-06-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Decent enough show that I will continue to record and watch it... Probably would go out of my way, but its entertaining enough. I do hope it picks up a little bit. Looks like they are trying to stretch out the violence as much as possible for network TV.
Old 03-06-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrX
Olivia Wilde is so damn hot
Jonathan Tucker hosing himself down in only tighty-whiteys is nothing to be sniffed at either!

I am also beginning to wonder how they're going to sustain the narrative element. I mean Joey Ice Cream seems to be making it all up. He's never genuinely been part of the story. I certainly did not miss Jimmy.

Glad Kirk Acevedo is getting a bigger part. He got so screwed with Law & Order: Trial by Jury. Now he is Hispanic playing an Italian mob boss.
Old 03-06-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Jonathan Tucker hosing himself down in only tighty-whiteys is nothing to be sniffed at either!

I am also beginning to wonder how they're going to sustain the narrative element. I mean Joey Ice Cream seems to be making it all up. He's never genuinely been part of the story. I certainly did not miss Jimmy.

Glad Kirk Acevedo is getting a bigger part. He got so screwed with Law & Order: Trial by Jury. Now he is Hispanic playing an Italian mob boss.

Kirk Acevedo, who is of Puerto Rican/Chinese descent,

Sure almost Italian.
Old 03-06-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Kirk Acevedo, who is of Puerto Rican/Chinese descent,

Sure almost Italian.
He played an IRISH guy in Band of Brothers... at least Italian is less of a stretch.

Doc
Old 03-06-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know it didn't dawn on me until last night that Helen Donnelly is being played by Kate Mulgrew.
Old 03-06-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
You know it didn't dawn on me until last night that Helen Donnelly is being played by Kate Mulgrew.

Was nice to see Captain Janeway again!
Old 03-06-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Studio Briefing:

Black News For Black Donnellys

NBC's mob drama The Black Donnellys , which had a disappointing premiere a week ago, slumped even further at 10:00 p.m. this Monday night as it posted a 5.1 rating and an 8 share (versus last week's 6.0/10). The results were worse than those for the previous occupant of the Monday-night time slot -- Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. A rerun of CBS's CSI: Miami won the hour with a 9.9/16.
Old 03-06-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ayre
The results were worse than those for the previous occupant of the Monday-night time slot -- Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. A rerun of CBS's CSI: Miami won the hour with a 9.9/16.
No surprise there really. While the show is interesting, it is rather slow going so far. Does that mean Studio 60: Live on Sunset will return after this runs its 10 episodes!?!?
Old 03-06-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This show would work better on HBO or Showtime. The brothers are so damn dumb and dopey, except for Tommy. There's no real good hook into the show, and that "narrator" kid is not doing it for me.
Old 03-06-07, 03:03 PM

I'm getting a "usual suspects" vibe from the way Joey Icecream is narrating.
Old 03-06-07, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Olivia Wilde is hot but this show really make me look forward to the new season of Sopranos.
Old 03-06-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
This show would work better on HBO or Showtime. The brothers are so damn dumb and dopey, except for Tommy. There's no real good hook into the show, and that "narrator" kid is not doing it for me.

Even FX would be better. It is funny to here mobsters or whatever you want to call not use stronger language.
Old 03-06-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This weeks episode was a big improvement over the last, but I find myself caring only about Tommy; the other brothers are either too annoying or stupid to care much about. I'm not sure how much longer this show can sustain itself unless it starts to focus solely on Tommy and Jenny, which is one of the only interesting plotlines right now.
Old 03-06-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like the show, but could live without it if it went by the wayside. my problem is that it these people just seem really dumb gangsters and are making everything up as they go because there seems like there is no direction on the show. for example, the one kid that is hospitalized was making out with olivia wilde's character and than this week, while the kid is in a coma, his brother is making out with her after she talks about how she loves him and was afraid she would never get to tell him.

and what's the deal with joey ice cream? is he basically there just to screw with the story?
Old 03-07-07, 12:14 AM

The 3rd episode is streaming on nbc.com right now
Old 03-07-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's never a good sign...
Old 03-07-07, 02:48 AM

I have really enjoyed the first two episodes but kept thinking that this was a concept that will be very hard to sustain on network TV.
Old 03-07-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dpz301
i like the show, but could live without it if it went by the wayside. my problem is that it these people just seem really dumb gangsters and are making everything up as they go because there seems like there is no direction on the show. for example, the one kid that is hospitalized was making out with olivia wilde's character and than this week, while the kid is in a coma, his brother is making out with her after she talks about how she loves him and was afraid she would never get to tell him.

and what's the deal with joey ice cream? is he basically there just to screw with the story?

I think you may be confusing characters. Shawn (the one in the hospital) was making out with the blonde girl that Tommy met at school. He brought her to the bar when he went to talk to Jimmy in the first episode, and told her and Shawn (who was already outside) to wait outside. When he came back they were in the car making out. She was with him later in the episode when he got the beat down, and then at the hospital in episode two when Tommy told her to keep quiet and not be scared off by their mother.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember him making out with Jenny (Olivia Wilde).
Old 03-07-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MFRONE
The 3rd episode is streaming on nbc.com right now
Link? All I can find is the current episode and the episode "God is a Comedian", which is linked as "the episode too shocking for TV". Tv.com lists it as a "special - web only" episode. There's also a link to the comic book style preview of next week's episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.