Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite word a critic used for a movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 11:05 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

we all know critics can be very creative when describing a movie they either love or hate or even just mildly enjoy. sometimes those reviewers words really stick.

i don't remember the critic or the movie, but i heard the word "lurid" very recently (i think it was on RottenTomatoes) to describe it and for some reason it just resonates in my brain.

what word that you've heard and if possible the movie you thought was just imaginative or perfect to describe a movie?
Old 03-04-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Good"
Old 03-04-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
we all know critics can be very creative when describing a movie they either love or hate or even just mildly enjoy. sometimes those reviewers words really stick.

i don't remember the critic or the movie, but i heard the word "lurid" very recently (i think it was on RottenTomatoes) to describe it and for some reason it just resonates in my brain.

what word that you've heard and if possible the movie you thought was just imaginative or perfect to describe a movie?
Probably Black Snake Moan. The words and phrases reviewers are breaking out to describe this movie are hilarious and amazing. I hope the movie lives up to the reviews.

setting up the story as a peephole free-for-all where women are chained, men speak with their fists, and the lurid details of a slippery Memphis blues performance burn as hot as red neon on a midsummer night.
This is Brewer's ode to the blues; not the frothy jams of today, but the intensely heated, sexual riffs of yesteryear that drew blood with every note. The picture is a cocktail of compulsions colliding in explosive ways and how faith and communication can temper them
With the wet spot on her bed not even dry, Rae goes on self-destructive bender of pill-popping and cock-hopping.
an insasiable sex demon dwells somewhere within her burning pit of womanhood
During one of the film's sweatiest moments, Lazarus, having dusted off his electric guitar and returned to one of his former haunts, lets loose with a blues number that turns the place into a gyrating mass of sexual energy.
And that was just from DVD Talk's two reviews.
Old 03-04-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
If I recall correctly, I think Travers from the Rolling Stone used the phrase "154 deliciously lurid minutes" to describe Pulp Fiction.
Old 03-04-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
"taut" always catches my eye...as in "a taut thriller"
Old 03-04-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is the opposite, but I think I'm tired of the word "stunning." Perhaps also "dazzling". There are more I can't think of right now that I see used too often. But then again, there are only so many words in the English language.
Old 03-04-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We need more people to use the word scrumtrilescent to describe films.
Old 03-04-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hardercore
If I recall correctly, I think Travers from the Rolling Stone used the phrase "154 deliciously lurid minutes" to describe Pulp Fiction.
Anyone that uses the word delicious when not talking about food, should be shot and killed.
Old 03-04-07, 05:04 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
craptastic!
Old 03-04-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
"taut" always catches my eye...as in "a taut thriller"

My favorite phrase ever is from the back of The Seventh Seal: The Criterion Collection DVD.

"A haunting allegory of man's apocalyptic search for meaning"

I try and use it at least 1x a month to describe something (a project, a hamburger, etc).
Old 03-04-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A haunting allegory of a man's apocalyptic search for his bicycle.
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure