Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will we see a "Chasing Amy" 10th anniversery Criterion dvd this year?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a disc that badly needs a new transfer (the current version is missframed, and I know that some if not most of the scratches and print marks can be digitially erased.) The sound could also use some work. Most of the dialouge is over modulated in some way, not sure if that can be corrected or not. Also, each of Kevin's earlier movies have gotten an upgrade, so why not this one.
Old 03-04-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yes. It's tradition. It may not end up being a Criterion -- who knows -- but there will almost undoubtedly be a 10th Anniversary DVD for Chasing Amy this year. I mean, Kevin is even planning a 10th Anniversary of Jersey Girl, so this is a must. I'm pretty sure they've already done a 10th Anniversary Q+A for the film somewhere, too. Search his forum at View Askew, perhaps he's mentioned it.

Hopefully it will get a very nice 2-disc or 3-disc set. I would really like to hear Joey Lauren Adams on the audio commentary this time, if they decide to do a new 10th Anniversary track for the disc.
Old 03-04-07, 08:10 AM
TRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin Smith has announced a 10th anniversary edition is in the works. Like droidguy1119 said, they already filmed some bonus material for it. I doubt it will be a Criterion however.
Old 03-04-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good. I've been wanting to purchase this for a while, but now I can wait.
Old 03-04-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as its not another 2-sided disk, I'll buy it.

I still don't own the Mallrats one for that sole reason.
Old 03-04-07, 11:29 AM
Banned

Hopefully if Wont be Criterion..Kevin Smith always puts great features on the disks at a better price....
Old 03-04-07, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by DVD King
Criterion has better things to do, MUCH better things to do
well considering they released it once already why would the movie not be good enough for criterion now? i agree it wont be criterion but hopefully its just as nice as clerks x!
Old 03-04-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Hopefully if Wont be Criterion..Kevin Smith always puts great features on the disks at a better price....
I'm pretty sure that 'Chasing Amy' is the cheapest disc for any Kevin Smith film that has any features, except maybe 'Jersey Girl'.
Old 03-04-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Plus if it's a 3/2 disc set, it will be higher-priced anyway. If it was a 3-discer like Clerks X (I don't know why it would be though, Clerks is as such because it has an alternate version of the film, I don't know that such a version exists for Amy), then a $30 Criterion would be the same price as anything. Of course, Criterion might sell it for $40, but I think $30 would be a good reasonable price for Criterion to offer it at, if they get it.
Old 03-04-07, 10:51 PM
Banned

I don't think anyone is aware of the distribution situation between Buena Vista and Criterion.

They've released 6 movies together: "The Rock", "Armageddon", "Chasing Amy", "Rushmore", "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou". Unlike most Criterion discs you'll find these 6 in stores like Target and Wal-Mart.

The reason for this is that even though they have Criterion-produced supplements, packaging, etc. they're still technically manufactured and distributed through Buena Vista's channels. As far as those six titles are concerned "The Criterion Collection" is no different than "Vista Series", "Miramax Collector's Series" etc. It's just a different banner on the packaging and a different company producing the supplements. This is why availability and pricing of these titles is more in line with other Disney titles as opposed to other Criterion titles.

Since those 6 titles are still in print we can assume that Criterion and Disney will be willing to cooperate on a new edition of "Chasing Amy" and since using existing commentaries and stuff has been done on the "Clerks" and "Mallrats" anniversary editions I'm fairly certain that the "Chasing Amy" disc will be Criterion-produced and Disney-distributed. I think we can also assume that it will retain it's initial Criterion number like some of their other re-releases.
Old 03-05-07, 07:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I'm a huge Clerks fan, and Chasing Amy is my favorite of the series. In my top ten of all time actually, so this will be a very welcome double dip.
Old 03-05-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
They've released 6 movies together: "The Rock", "Armageddon", "Chasing Amy", "Rushmore", "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou". Unlike most Criterion discs you'll find these 6 in stores like Target and Wal-Mart.
Heh. Maybe not so much Armageddon and The Rock, but the other four, sure. I don't believe I ever saw The Rock in a store (just the 1-disc Disney version) and only a few times did I ever see the Armageddon set.
Old 03-05-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope they keep the original commentary (along with the new ones they plan on recording), the anti-DVD rant is priceless.
Old 03-05-07, 10:08 AM

Yeah The Rock definitely ain't as cheap as Chasing Amy, which was so cheap it was a blind buy. Turns out to be my 2nd best blind buy behind The Shield.
Old 03-05-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD King
Criterion has better things to do, MUCH better things to do

As IF YOU would know.

I am sure they don't want put out another DVD of a movie that sold really well.

Last edited by d2cheer; 03-05-07 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But what did Criterion ever do for the first release? Wasn't it basically the same as the previous laserdisc release? We need a new edition with updated bonus features.
Old 03-05-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
I don't think anyone is aware of the distribution situation between Buena Vista and Criterion.

The reason for this is that even though they have Criterion-produced supplements, packaging, etc. they're still technically manufactured and distributed through Buena Vista's channels. As far as those six titles are concerned "The Criterion Collection" is no different than "Vista Series", "Miramax Collector's Series" etc. It's just a different banner on the packaging and a different company producing the supplements. This is why availability and pricing of these titles is more in line with other Disney titles as opposed to other Criterion titles.
That's really only true of the three movies for which that is the only release, though, isn't it? I mean, 'Rushmore', 'Armageddon', and 'The Rock' aren't any cheaper than their standard Criterion counterparts.
Old 03-05-07, 09:15 PM
Banned

That's really only true of the three movies for which that is the only release, though, isn't it? I mean, 'Rushmore', 'Armageddon', and 'The Rock' aren't any cheaper than their standard Criterion counterparts.
I got my Criterion copy of "Rushmore" in a 2-pack with "High Fidelity" for less than $20.

That's precisely the kind of thing I was talking about with the different distribution/manufacturing situation.
Old 03-05-07, 11:32 PM

I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I could care less if it has Criterion printed on the packaging. Actually that's a lie, if it causes the price of the DVD to go up because than I'd rather do without it.
Old 03-06-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
As long as its not another 2-sided disk, I'll buy it.

I still don't own the Mallrats one for that sole reason.
You're really not missing much with the exception of a slightly better transfer. Universal dropped the ball on that release for not making it a three-disc set with ALL of the deleted scenes (bastards) and the ABC cut of the flick. Christ, there wasn't even a feature-length documentary unlike the Clerks films.

From what it seems, the Chasing Amy DVD will probably be a two-disc Miramax Collector's Series set. The only things in all honesty I can see them adding on is another feature-length documentary in addition to the new commentary and the Q&A taken from the Arclight a while back.
Old 03-06-07, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I could care less if it has Criterion printed on the packaging. Actually that's a lie, if it causes the price of the DVD to go up because than I'd rather do without it.
Ditto!
Old 03-06-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by d2cheer

As IF YOU would know.

I am sure they don't want put out another DVD of a movie that sold really well.
Absolutely. I'm sure the sales of these "cheaper" Criterions do a lot in the way of boosting their funds to make the more classic, obscure titles available to the public. I mean, you can sell 100 $40 DVDs and make a lot of bank, but you can sell 1500 $14 DVDs and make a lot too.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
You're really not missing much with the exception of a slightly better transfer. Universal dropped the ball on that release for not making it a three-disc set with ALL of the deleted scenes (bastards) and the ABC cut of the flick. Christ, there wasn't even a feature-length documentary unlike the Clerks films.
It's too bad since Universal seems to have gotten over their problem with 2-disc sets as now even Serenity is getting one. It would be nice if they re-released some of their flippers as 2-disc sets. Still, I thought what they did have on the DVD wasn't bad -- the Q+A was great, there is a fake interview with Kevin where he gives BS answers that is very funny and the new featurette and old featurette combine to make a pretty good (if nowhere near "Snowball Effect"-level) documentary.
Old 03-06-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that Kevin Smith is either a lurker on this forum, or a frequent poster under a clandestine nom de plume!

Come on Kevin.....reveal youself!
Old 03-06-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just hope we won't have to suffer with some stupid name like "Fingercuffs Edition".
Old 03-06-07, 02:36 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The Criterion bashing in this thread is pretty funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.