Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 01:53 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
Battlestar Galactica - "Maelstrom" - 3/04/07

"Maelstrom"
Spoiler:
Kara Thrace is on the edge of a nervous breakdown as she battles the emotional fallout from her captivity on New Caprica.
Old 03-04-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hopefully this won't be another filler episode.
Old 03-04-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
You don't read spoilers, do you?

Old 03-04-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
From what I've read...

[spoiler]Cally starts a knitting club to help relieve stress for the Galactica women, but then Starbuck and the President get into a fight because they both want the last bit of red yarn, but at the end they become friends again and learn to share.[s/poiler]
Old 03-04-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You told!
Old 03-04-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Ugh, is this episode over yet.
Old 03-04-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Huh. I was SO sure the episode would end with the cylons standing around the pool waiting for her to emerge. And waiting, and waiting, and waiting...... "so, uh, where is she?"
Old 03-04-07, 09:57 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

it'll happen, how many eps till we see Starbuck wake up in a rejuvination tank?
Old 03-04-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In a way I didn't like to see Starbuck go out like a chump, but her life was so fucked up it's not surprising.

Not really a filler ep, but close.

From what I've been picking up, the filler eps weren't so much because of blowing the budget on the rescue from New Caprica, but because execs at Sci-Fi have been interfering in the show and saying that they want more self-contained episodes instead of epic story arcs. The belief is that the story arcs make it harder for new fans to pick up on the show.

So once again we have a situation of a show getting popular, and then the execs sticking their noses in and changing what made it so popular in the first place.
Old 03-04-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Aside from the cool cloud flying, this episode was just... torture to sit through.
Old 03-04-07, 10:17 PM

WTF happened to this show?

It was number 1 on my list but lately I could not give a fuck if I missed it. Sad.....so sad :-(
Old 03-04-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the major sentiment.

This was NOT the big revelation I was expecting.

But didn't anyone notice outside Kara's cockpit window the first time she flew into the colorful cloud downspout? When the lighting flashed there was a guy in a lab coat standing there, like she was in a simulator.

Or was that just my crappy digital cable?
Old 03-04-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
/agree

So...just to be sure I understand...Starbuck has had this premonition of this drawing for years now and she finally saw it in the clouds? And then she flew into it so she could fulfill her destiny and go to the place between life and death? But she had to deal with her personal issues with her mother before she would have the courage to do so?

I'm assuming that's right. Obviously, they didn't kill her, but have instead placed her in some sort of otherworld...

Or the rejuvination tank...

Or it was just a simulation (yes, I saw the dude in the labcoat too).

OK, that's what I got from this torturous episode. Let me know if I'm right. :P

EDIT: OK, so maybe I'm wrong. Just saw this on an interview in a BSG fan forum...

Spoiler:
Gilles Nuytens: You have a contract for 5 years with Galactica I believe, but there are rumors about you not coming back in season 4. I assume that is false rumor?
Katee Sackhoff: I cannot answer that question due to confidentiality. All I can say is that when I read ep. 16. I was shocked to say the least.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 03-04-07 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-04-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a good episode.
Old 03-04-07, 10:31 PM

Hmm... that all seemed pointless. I've been defending the so-called "filler" episodes the last few weeks, but I have to agree that this one felt pretty "meh." I'm really not sure what the heck it was about. And given that Starbuck's always been my least favorite character, I don't really care.

Nitpickin' time: How come the scrapbook Kara's Mom was looking at didn't have the trademark angled corners? Aren't the "alien" squared-off corners how we're all supposed to know they're not on Earth?
Old 03-04-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Holy fuck. I don't know, that whole episode has left me distressed and cursing and just completely and totally unhappy. I need to find some spoilers quick that undo this mess. That's just unacceptable. I will take a pass.
Old 03-04-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've skipped the past few episodes (reading talkbacks, I didn't miss much) & I wish I skipped this one. The ships flying looked cool but the rest is the typical scifi "lets confuse the viewer with a bunch of randomness to make ourselves look like philosophers ".
Things I was thinking....

Why are they flying around the atmosphere of this planet in the first place?

If Starbuck was a Cylon and the one guy knew all along, what was the point of the hostipal experiments back on Caprica and his intentions on New Caprica?? Sounds like the writers recently came up with this BS story.

Unless the Cylons reprogram her, she is still loyal to Galactica. It'd be funny to have the Cylons welcome her and she turns around and destroys them.
Old 03-04-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Filler episode? A character is killed and you guys think it is filler?
Oh brother.
Old 03-04-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Filler episode? A character is killed and you guys think it is filler?
Oh brother.
Sure, a character might have been killed but they sure made it hard to care about that particular character or bother to even try understand what was going on.
Old 03-05-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So Katee Sackhoff got a DUI in Hawaii?
Old 03-05-07, 01:20 AM

Seems a ton of fans don't like Starbuck, but she's been my favorite ever since the mini-series. As I don't read spoilers, I have a hard time believing they killed off her character for good. Now, I guess she could be a cylon...but I don't see that happening. My guess is, they briefly showed her hand on the ejection handle, so I'm thinking she punched out and somehow survives. Given the downhill slide this show has taken...if Starbuck actually is dead, this show probably is to me as well.
Old 03-05-07, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
But didn't anyone notice outside Kara's cockpit window the first time she flew into the colorful cloud downspout? When the lighting flashed there was a guy in a lab coat standing there, like she was in a simulator.
Just went back thru this scene and paused it a few times. While it's hazy, it looks like it's just someone (Leobahn?) standing in her mother's apartment.
Old 03-05-07, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The way that this episode was handled, I'd say Starbuck's death is far from pointless or meaningless; it only seems that way without the benefit of foresight. There was no finality to Starbuck dying; they had a perfect possible scene with Apollo putting Kara's picture up on the wall, that would have tied up her character's arc very well, but instead they have Adama smashing his ship out of frustration and anger. There is more coming.

The writers on the show have pulled quite a few crazy stunts with the show (One Year Later...), and to me, they've all been smart and well thought out, once I've seen where they were going with it all. They don't just kill people off to fuck around with the show.
Old 03-05-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Kara was kidnapped. The ship that went boom was a cyclon decoy.
Old 03-05-07, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I really liked it a lot. All the haters could be worse, we could all be lost fans..hehe I had to couldnt resist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.