Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How is the DAR constitution Hall D.C For a concert venue?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am attending a concert there this friday any expectations ? Is this a good place to see a show?
Old 03-03-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I hear (never been) the accostics are close to perfect (you are seeing the roots right?) Also unless they have changed policy, you aren't allowed to stand during shows.
Old 03-04-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
From what I hear (never been) the accostics are close to perfect (you are seeing the roots right?) Also unless they have changed policy, you aren't allowed to stand during shows.
DAR is very, very good. I've seen shows there, I'm not sure the policy applies to "rock" shows.
Old 03-04-07, 01:37 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it's very good.

I saw Modest Mouse there in 2005. People were standing, but many were sitting. I didn't notice the ushers asking anyone to sit down.
Old 03-04-07, 02:22 PM

Yes. it will be the legendary roots crew that i am seeing. they are amazing live and I already know what they look like so I'm just concerned with the acoustics and as a venue in general. thanks ! if you can get tickets to this, it's going to be a fantastic show, they never disappoint.

-chile
Old 03-04-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're going to see a rock show then DAR is an awful venue.
Old 03-04-07, 09:16 PM

Some shows and some spots at DAR have terrible acoustics. It depends where you are.

Getting a beverage at intermission can be quite a challenge. If there's a 45 minute break, it may take about that long.

That said, DAR *is* a national landmark, and an interesting place to see a show.

You can definitely stand during shows.
Old 03-05-07, 08:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
for the Pet Shop Boys show last Fall I thought the sound was perfect.
Old 03-05-07, 10:33 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound was good for Modest Mouse as well. Not as good as say an outdoor amphitheater, but still very good.

It's a pretty nice, relaxing place to catch a show. Maybe not what some want for a rock show, but I'm old and boring and like to just stand/sit and enjoy the music.
Old 03-05-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lara Means
If you're going to see a rock show then DAR is an awful venue.
How about expounding on this more Lara, since it's the complete opposite of what everyone else is saying.
Old 03-05-07, 10:56 AM

i have always been a big fan of DAR.
Old 03-05-07, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
How about expounding on this more Lara, since it's the complete opposite of what everyone else is saying.
Did you read my post?

I've seen about a half dozen shows at DAR, and the sound is pretty bad, from my experience.

As with any venue, if you're in front of the sound board, or in the "sweet spot" it sounds good. Otherwise, its a crapshoot. You'll get a lot of sound off the ceilings and walls at DAR.

Certainly not as good as the 930, or the Taj Mahal of concert sound, The Strathmore.
Old 03-05-07, 11:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1

Certainly not as good as the 930, or the Taj Mahal of concert sound, The Strathmore.
even when standing near the stage at the 9:30, I still can't make out the lyrics to songs, their system on the whole is to bass heavy.
Old 03-05-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
Did you read my post?

I've seen about a half dozen shows at DAR, and the sound is pretty bad, from my experience.

As with any venue, if you're in front of the sound board, or in the "sweet spot" it sounds good. Otherwise, its a crapshoot. You'll get a lot of sound off the ceilings and walls at DAR.

Still only two. And you explained yourself. Lara did not. I disagree with you on 930 and agree with Giles. I can barely hear guitar, let alone the vocals, and I have excellent hearing.
Old 03-06-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I completely agree that the acoustics in this place are just plain bad. The sound system is old and shitty. This is the place where high schools hold their graduations for fuck's sake!. Why would anyone want to see a rock show in here? I, unfortunately, had no other choice if I wanted to see The Pixies reunion.
Old 03-07-07, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
I completely agree that the acoustics in this place are just plain bad. The sound system is old and shitty. This is the place where high schools hold their graduations for fuck's sake!. Why would anyone want to see a rock show in here? I, unfortunately, had no other choice if I wanted to see The Pixies reunion.
they did have a show at Sonar in baltimore (although the show did sell out very quickly.

Would something like Damien Rice (whos mainly all accoustic) sound good at dar?