Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Are ELO cool again? Pitchfork Lauds Out of the Blue reissue

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Electric Light Orchestra
Out of the Blue
[Epic; 1977; r: Epic; 2007]
Rating: 8.1

Here's a shocking fact: 2007 marks the 25th anniversary of the compact disc. Considering how record companies love to sell you the same album multiple times, that's a bizarrely long tenure for the newest music industry-approved technology. Because the CD refuses to yield the throne to any other physical formats (DVDs? Minidiscs?), labels have long been forced to find other ways to repeatedly plunder their catalogs, most notably by releasing remastered and expanded versions of any album that was reasonably successful. In some cases, the cleaned-up sound and snazzier packaging of these records corrects lazy, negligent editions released in the CD's early days, but more often it's just a case of shaking loose change out of the couch cushions.

That's not the case with Electric Light Orchestra, subjects of a lengthy restoration project that has reached Out of the Blue in time for its 30th anniversary. ELO may not immediately seem like an essential part of music history, but there's no denying they're a band well served by the fancy frills that accompany a reissue. For starters, ELO records hearken back to an era where album art meant Awesome Fucking Spaceships, and Out of the Blue has an especially fine one that resembles a cross between a jukebox and the old Simon games. It's a disservice to shrink such a cover down to CD-size packaging, but the reissue compensates by including a build-it-yourself punch-out space needle thingy and pictures of the band's ridiculous spaceship stage-set.

More importantly, ELO records respond well to remastered sound, due to the band's entire aesthetic being based upon Jeff Lynne using approximately 250 tracks of instruments and vocals in every song. Out of the Blue is often thought to be the band's high water mark because, in many ways, it was the culmination of Lynne's ambitious original mission to blend rock'n'roll with orchestral flourishes, his presumptuous effort to "pick up where the Beatles left off." By this, his seventh album, Lynne had developed the idea far beyond the cheesy primordial mashups like his "Roll Over Beethoven" cover (excepting the silly throwback "Birmingham Blues"), and had even reached past the increasingly restrictive borders of 70s rock to embrace treble-heavy elements of the rising disco sound like liberal uses of falsetto, arcade synths, and melodramatic strings.

Prophetic anticipation or dumb luck, Out of the Blue hit the zeitgeist jackpot in 1977, coming out within a month of Saturday Night Fever and reflecting, if not true disco, a perfect crossover gateway-drug to piggyback on the explosion of their fellow rock defectors, the Bee Gees. Though ELO's finest singles may have appeared on the two prior albums (can you argue with "Evil Woman" or "Livin' Thing"?), Out of the Blue has its share of greatest hits regulars sprinkled across its four vinyl sides: "Turn to Stone", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", "Wild West Hero". The side C four-song suite "Concerto for a Rainy Day" (god bless the 70s) even includes the triumphant "Mr. Blue Sky", deservedly exhumed in the past few years by the hipster cognoscenti as a perfectly weird slice of gaudy, over-the-top FM-dial pop.

The deep cuts on Out of the Blue also hold their own alongside the hits, enough so to justify the double-album expanse (though its 70 minutes are routine by today's CD-enabled standards). "Across the Border" finds a way to cram mariachi horns into Lynne's already packed palette, and most of "Concerto for a Rainy Day" is an argument for art-rock excess, from the Boston-esque organ arpeggios of "Standin' in the Rain" to the army-of-Lynne choir that marks the balladic "Summer and Lightning". Lynne's symphonic addiction may be the kind of bloat punk was meant to eradicate, but it's hard not to appreciate his compositional skill, the ability to arrange string parts that do much more than merely play the song's chord progression, instead offering rich melodic counterpoints.

This sharp learning curve makes it difficult for too many indie artists to draw lessons from ELO's successes; even if a songwriter possesses Lynne's orchestral skills, it's a pretty cost-prohibitive embellishment for most small-time acts. But other elements of the ELO sound are ripe for harvest, as shown by the Lynne-esque overdub-crazy vocal methods used on recent records from Of Montreal and Scissor Sisters. Maybe the best lesson from ELO's career is a more general advisory to let your ambition run wild, a topical piece of advice when everyone from My Chemical Romance to the Arcade Fire are currently aiming for stadium-size grandiosity with their own records. Calling in the string section and commissioning the spaceship cover-art may be a big gamble, but Out of the Blue is proof of how good it can sound when the grand approach works-- and gets the loving audio quality makeover it deserves.

-Rob Mitchum, March 01, 2007
Old 03-02-07, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never realized they were uncool to begin with. I say bring on the second half of the Xanadu soundtrack and we can have a party.
Old 03-02-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure there was a phase they were uncool. No doubt. But after all this time it's easier to suss out what was truly good vs. the crap. ELO seems to have made it through just fine.
Old 03-02-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're totally uncool. However, I do have a bunch of friends that seemed to be really into them a couple years ago.
Old 03-02-07, 07:40 PM

ELO could craft a real nice pop song, kind of like Abba in my book. Never could get into their LPs tho.

nodeer...Churchill didn't say it...The Churchill Centre
Old 03-02-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone who dislikes ELO is a L-O-S-E-R.

Out of the Blue was their best LP ever. Turn to Stone? Night in the City? Starlight? Steppin' Out? Summer and Lightning? Mr. Blue Sky? Sweet is the Night? Wild West Hero? Some of their finest IMO.
Old 03-02-07, 09:47 PM
JIF

I never was an ELO fan.

In fact, I rediscovered them on the BOOGIE NIGHTS soundtrack with their single, "Living Thing". I loved the way they effortlessly blended the strings in this pop tune.

So, I got their greatest hits album, "All Over The World" and was blown away by their lyrics and experimentation with sound.

ELO was definitely ahead of their time. I feel that their music seemlessly fits into this music era.

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a fool for "Xanadu" too. I just love that song. A few months ago, I rented the movie because I love that song. And after seeing that horrible movie, I still love that song.

ELO is tops in my book.
Old 03-02-07, 10:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
ELO has always been cool, despite the best efforts of Russell T. Davies.
Old 03-03-07, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dunno... Jeff Lynne has written and performed some of the most perfect pop songs of all time, but just look at their shows from the 70's (Wembley '78) and visually you get nothing but uncool! That hair. Woah. And it hasn't changed. So what, I still get a thrill from many of their tunes.

BTW, search YouTube for a really fun live version of "Mr. Blue Sky" by the Decemberists.
Old 03-05-07, 08:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been reading online that some don't like the remastering done for 'Out of the Blue' and that the original CD release is better soundwise.

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
BTW, search YouTube for a really fun live version of "Mr. Blue Sky" by the Decemberists.
my fave band: The Delgados did a great cover of 'Mr Blue Sky'
Old 03-05-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I've been reading online that some don't like the remastering done for 'Out of the Blue' and that the original CD release is better soundwise.
Mastering engineer Steve Hoffman mentioned that the new CD sounds most like the master tapes of any CD issue out there. Link: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...d.php?t=106924