Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dvorak (and other classical composers) versus Hollywood

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure I'm not the first person to realize this by any means, but I'm listening Antonin Dvorak's ninth symphony (aka "New World Symphony") and I keep getting flashes of films.

In particular, I'm thinking that almost everything John Williams has done has been a rip off or elaboration on something Dvorak originally wrote.

For example, listen to the 4th movement of the symphony: it starts off sounding like Jaws, moves into Lord of the Rings (okay, so that's Howard Shore and not Williams) before becoming the Star Wars theme.

Is it just me or is a lot of classical film scoring these days not a rip off of Dvorak? The previously mentioned two composers being some of the most blatant.

What other classical artists have had themes pretty much directly ripped off?
-ringding-
Old 02-28-07, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Holst's Mars from The Planets, for more of that Williams-esque sound. The first time I heard it, I thought of Star Wars. Also, Orff's Carmina Burana has influenced plenty of composers. James Horner has been accused many times of lifting various works for his scores, I'm sure Film Score Monthly has comments on that somewhere on their site.
Old 02-28-07, 11:45 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I can't cite specific examples, but a lot of older horror works had scores that to my ears always sounded like Bela Bartok imitations.
Old 02-28-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed on all points in this thread... And it's nice to see a classical discussion in the music forum.
Old 02-28-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Take a listen to this disc from start to finish (including the Varese piece) and count the John Williams sources! I bought this a long time ago and listened to it and my jaw dropped.

I'll check out that Dvorak symphony, that ought to be fun.
Old 02-28-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah New World Symphony is where Williams got a lot of his inspiration. A very cool piece (and even cooler since it's about America) and at least Williams was stealing from one of the best.
Old 03-01-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
How's that saying go, something like "if you're going to steal, steal from the best."