Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What was your favorite Survivor season and why? (spoilers)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I saw the Terry season, the diversity season, and I'm watching this current season on TV and All-Stars on DVD now. My favorite so far (even though I'm only on episode 5) is All-Stars. It's an awesome season. I already know who won, that someone gets burned, Lex gets betrayed, Jeri is sacrificed, Richard's about to get voted off this episode, but it is still great to see it happen... it's like I'm watching great historical moments

So which season is your favorite?
Old 02-27-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've watched every season and I'd have to say the first was the most enjoyable. Nothing like the first time!
Old 02-27-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. The first season was the best, none of the rest of the seasons have come close.
Old 02-27-07, 11:38 AM
Banned

1st season.

It was fresh, different and you didn't know what to expect because it was first. After the first season, (while I still enjoy the show), it was like - oh, here's the part where they combine the tribes, etc. The players had no idea what to expect, having never seen the show. And watching Richard announce that he was going to win the game to everyone and then do it was priceless.
Old 02-27-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
I concur - the first.
Old 02-27-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1st Season for me, with last season (despite the whole match-up of races) and Australia rounding out the top 3. All-Stars was one of my least favorite.
Old 02-27-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Survivor Australian Outback (2)was probably my favorite. I think it hit on all cylinders even more so then season 1.

Survivor Pearl Islands (8), I just had a thing for Darrah.

Survivor Palu (10) the first time Stephanie was on.

Last edited by Timber; 02-27-07 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All-Stars, if only for the perfection of Rob's facial expression and delivery of the line, “Ambaahhh’s sweet, she’s beautiful, funny, great personality…. and her ass is smokin’ too.”
Old 02-27-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1.) Australia (great cast and a lot of drama)
2.) first season
3.) last seson (worst finale, but loved watching Yul and Ozzie go at it)
Old 02-27-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
This needs to be a poll.

Another vote for Season 1 for similar reasons ... the newness of it all, and some fun personalities (Richard, Rudy, Colleen, Greg, etc). The challenges were lame (in retrospect), but it didn't matter so much.

Second for me is All-Stars. Yeah, everyone was a little too "reality savvy", but the over-the-top intrigue got me watching after I stopped bothering with the show for a couple of seasons.
Old 02-27-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Season 2 Outback for me.

Loved the hunter guy (although it sucked when he fell into fire)
Old 02-27-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I have to go with the first season as well. I love how the contestants really, for the most part, didn't know what they were doing. You had some people who were there to win and play the game (the ones who ended up forming alliances), you had some who just wanted to make friends and have a cool experience and then you had the people who you really couldn't figure out exactly what they were doing there (earth to Greg, are you there?).

There were just so many great moments: Sean's alphabet voting system, Richard's manipulations, Rudy's gruffness, Susan's snake speech, Kelly's incredible late surge in the challenges, Greg's coconut phone.

Plus, I actually kinda liked how different the pace was in the first season. Especially when looking at today's episodes of Survivor and other reality shows, the first season really has a much slower and deliberate pace. I also liked how the votes were read out among the tribe, not live. I just think it made for a better reaction among others (I actually kinda liked the winner having a little voiceover after winning).

Sorry this turned out to be longer than I thought it would. And for what it's worth, I think Outback is probably my second favorite season.
Old 02-27-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Pearl Islands is my favorite. I didn't necessarily enjoy the winner so much, but so many people got blindsided by the vote that season. Fairplay was such a great anti-hero, too. It pains me watching Fairplay and Burton going on that little field trip.

I liked the first season because it was so different. Greg is still one of my favorite survivors ever. The best thing about the first season is you don't have to listen to Probst doing his inane commentary during the challenges.

Australian Outback had a lot of interesting people and the best babes.

I enjoyed All-Stars for all the insanity.
Old 02-27-07, 05:12 PM

Season 1 is my favorite. It was fresh and new and you didn't know what to expect. On the Tagi tribe you had a few people with a clue that understood it was a game for a million bucks...and in contrast you had the Pagong tribe that seemed they were afraid to do anything that may make them look bad/evil on T.V. (Greg/Colleen especially). Watching the pagonging of the Pagon tribe by Tagi was great. It's like at every tribal they were shocked and amazed that while they scattered their votes, Tagi all voted in unison....well in unison with the nutty Dr.'s alphabet voting strat.

Season 2 was a good season as well. Had a great cast of characters and was really fun to watch. It's too bad that Colby cheated on a challenge and wasn't called on it...and that he pissed away a sure victory by taking Tina to the final 2 with him.

I really enjoyed all seasons up to Pearl Islands. While Jonny Fairplay was great, the outcast twist and CBS force feeding us non-stop Rupert(2nd most over-rated Survivor ever behind Steph) was horrible. The next season of All-Stars was the worst season ever...due to Lex single handedly jacking it up and the gimme million bucks they gave Rupert. Still find it hard to believe the fans gave a million bucks to an "all-star" that built an underground shelter on the beach.

Since all-stars, it seems more and more of the cast has been recruited. So while there have been lots of good bodies to look at...the gameplay has suffered. Hell, last season two recruits couldn't even start fire with freaking matches! Still, even though the show isn't what it once was...every Thursday at 8pm I'll be in front of my T.V. watching!
Old 02-27-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Season 2 Australian Outback for 2 reasons:

1.Amber

2.Elisabeth

Old 02-27-07, 05:42 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the first season the best. It was new, everybody at work talked about it, the internet speculation about Rudy winning it turning out to be wrong, etc. Plus the contestants didn't know what to expect so they weren't jaded about it.

Season 2 Australian Outback is probably my 2nd favorite because it was still fresh and new. Pearl Islands was one of my favorites right from the start when Rupert stole the other team's shoes because "that's what pirates do!" The season where Tom won is also a favorite, I liked Guatamala, and last season was good too with a very deserving winner.

Season 3 Africa had a very good cast, but the location didn't lend itself to a good show. It was too dry, the survivors couldn't venture out on their own, and there wasn't able to be any water challenges. That cast in a different location probably would have been great.

Season 5 Thailand is hands down the worst. 4 & 6 were ruined by undeserving winners.
Old 02-27-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
All-Stars is my favorite. It's fun to see tough Rob being hit hard by the hammer of love.
Old 02-27-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts
I think everyone can agree that the first season will always be considered the best, but my favorite season would be season six in the amazon with Rob C., Jenna, and Hedi. Sure she didn't deserve to win, and she was a snotty bitch, but I had the most fun watching that season.
Old 02-28-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Season 1. In a word: Rudy
Old 02-28-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Season 2 (Australia)...Jeri being a witch...Colby's domination...Michael killing a pig...Michael falling in a fire...catty Alicia...Amber and Elisabeth...the flood washing away camp...

Everything sort of came together this season...GREAT cast, wacky situations, tons of drama.
Old 02-28-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seson 2 for me. That was the 1st one I watched and I have compared all others to it.
Old 02-28-07, 12:28 PM

Australia- for the reasons mentioned above by Merkin and girlnextdoor
Old 02-28-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I was out of the country when the first season happened. I came back the day of or before the finale and had no idea what all the fuss was about. Meanwhile in Europe everyone was talking about Big Brother.

I only saw the second season, sporadically. Other seasons never seemed that interesting and I don't even consider watching the show nowadays.
Old 02-28-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Season 2 (Australia)...Jeri being a witch...
Jeri totally tried to seduce Colby to her side. hah.
Old 02-28-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jeri was one of the greatest reality TV personalities ever. She even had her own "character arc" as she finally "got revenge" over Colby in All-Stars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.