EA to release a new Wing Commander game

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not impressed with it, but I'm glad to see EA revive the franchise
hopefully it will lead to more real WC games

http://www.ea.com/article.jsp?dcr=ea&id=wca
EA Launches Wing Commander Arena onto Xbox Live Arcade
Legendary Game Franchise Delivers 16-Player Online Space Combat

Redwood City, Calif., - February 23, 2007 - Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced the return of its beloved Wing Commander™ franchise with Wing Commander Arena in development for the Xbox LIVE® Arcade*. With up to 16 players, Wing Commander Arena offers the largest multi-player melee experience to date on Xbox LIVE Arcade. The game is scheduled to go live worldwide on the Arcade service in Summer 2007.

Wing Commander Arena is a fast-paced space combat game where players can team up to attack other teams of ships. The game introduces the classic franchise to an arcade-style experience that allows up to 16 players online in battle at once. Players can propel their customized ship through space, fire torpedoes and unleash deadly gravity bombs as they try to climb the leader board. Online players will compete for Frag count, high score and dueling stats.

"We're really excited to deliver unparalleled multi-player arcade action," said Chip Lange, EA Vice President. "The design for Wing Commander will appeal to both long-time fans of the franchise and immediately engage anyone who wants the melee style action of an arcade shooter."

Wing Commander Arena will feature four styles of play: single player, multi-team, multi-player free for all and multi-player duel. Within the game there are eight game maps that include team maps, free for all maps and dueling maps, so Wing Commander Arena offers a gameplay experience for every Arcade gamer, whether they want a quick ten minutes of action or a longer more immersive game.

Wing Commander Arena is produced and published by Electronic Arts and cooperatively developed with Gaia Industries. This is the second EA title for Xbox LIVE Arcade with EA's first title Boom Boom Rocket set to launch this Spring.

* Players must have an Xbox LIVE marketplace account to play Wing Commander Arena.

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=21350
Old 02-24-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
This was discussed a bit over in the XBox thread. The screenshots don't exactly look too spectacular... I hope it's not just Wing Commander by name and have absolutely nothing else to do with the old series.
Old 02-25-07, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No mark Hamill = No Deal
Old 02-25-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was excited until I opened the thread. Sounds craptacular! Wing Commander was my favourite series for a long time ever since I discovered Wing Commander 2. I remember watching the FMV for WC3 on a big screen at a local game store and wishing I had the specs to run it! I dug Prophecy and remember rumours that it was the start of a new trilogy but I guess it didn't perform as planned. Now that I think about, wasn't there an unresolved cliffhanger with Hamill's character? I hope this means the return of franchise. I'm just thankful that horrible movie didn't sink it permanently!
Old 02-25-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
I'm finding the fan made stuff to be really good, especially Standoff. Unknown Enemy was pretty good too

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-26-07 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-25-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The day this was announced encompassed the highest high and lowest low of my gaming emotion meter. This game alone was going to push me to buy a 360. Over $400 for a game, I was gonna do it. But when I discovered it is nothing more than a Subspace clone, I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

What hope I had for a true major revival has been dashed. I accept that we'll never get a "canon" conclusion to Prophecy. I just have to detach my memory of WC from this game. I'm sure it will be a fun and enjoyable shoot-em-up and I look forward to playing against the world in it. I know I'll be seeing names I recognize. There'll be Hornets and Rapiers and Dralthis and Broadswords and Excaliburs and Dumbfire Missiles and Pilum FoF Missiles and Neutron Cannons and the Terran Confederation and the Kilrathi, but it'll be as much part of the Wing Commander Universe as the Wing Commander movie was (I still haven't forgiven you for that, Chris Roberts).

If and when I get my 360, I know for a fact this will be first XBLA game I get, just because I know I can't bring myself to fully ignore it.

Last edited by pinata242; 02-25-07 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-25-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have to agree with the comments in here. I wasn't a huge Wing Commander fan, but having played through the original a few times, I would probably look into a an updated version... that's good/innovative.

This is poor.
Old 02-28-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

WCNews has an interview with Producer Sean Penney that, in my mind, makes it sound like he really knows what the existing WC fanbase wants. That's very promising.

However, Gamespot has a video interview with the same Sean Penney (transcript) that, in my mind, makes him sound like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Oh, and those 18 ships that this game is going to have consists of a light, medium, and heavy fighter for the TC and Kilrathi each. And each of those has 3 armor variations. Basically 3 ships in 6 colors each, some slightly tougher than their little brothers...
Old 03-01-07, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hobbes FTW!
Old 07-18-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a the manual for the game: http://images.ea.com/ea/arcade/draft2cRGB.pdf

Give me waves of giddiness seeing how much detail they put into this XBLA game and how the character styles are straight out of the WC2 era.

Plus the Maniac book ad
Old 07-18-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Here's a the manual for the game: http://images.ea.com/ea/arcade/draft2cRGB.pdf

Give me waves of giddiness seeing how much detail they put into this XBLA game and how the character styles are straight out of the WC2 era.

Plus the Maniac book ad
Holy crap that's a huge instruction book.
Old 07-18-07, 02:17 PM

when is this coming out for Arcade?
Old 07-18-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow they put alot of work into that manual, love the little classified section. Hopefully its a good game.
Old 07-18-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptStormy
when is this coming out for Arcade?
Well, Metacritic lists the release date as Sept 1, 2007, but I think that's a Saturday. We'll see I guess...
Old 07-19-07, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

all that wing commander history (even the bartender chick from Privateer became a pilot) in the manual and they didn't make it a flight sim
Old 07-19-07, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard it will be released next week (7/25).
Old 07-19-07, 07:39 AM
Cool New Member

I don't mean to brag... but I'm in the manual!

I'm on the Crusader advertisement on page 39 (21 of the PDF)... I star in the movie as "Keenan Weaver" (that's my name). I think the reason why I'm in it is because I run the only active Crusader website on the net. It's quite an honor to be in a video game manual!
Old 07-19-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by ZFGokuSSJ1
I don't mean to brag... but I'm in the manual!
Very cool. I'm looking forward to this one; it got an 8.5 in the OXM review. Apparently it has a pretty good single player game as well. Sounds solid.
Old 07-19-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I printed this out to give me something to read during my daughters' gymnastics lessons last night. I must've looked crazy when I started laughing out loud at this letter to the editor.

Tiger’s Claws
Who the hell checks your facts, Soldier?
As an avid amateur historian, I was excited
to find an article about the Dolos
campaign (2700/11 issue) in my mailbox...
but that excitement turned into
rage when I found out that you referred
to the finest carrier ever to serve the fleet
by the wrong name! It’s TCS Tiger’s Claw
(possessive), not TCS Tiger Claw. What
the hell is wrong with you guys? This is
downright offensive to everyone who
follows this kind of material. Do a little
research and show a little respect for our
veterans! Cancel my subscription,
Asher C. Lawson
[email protected]rnment

Actually, we did our research on this one.
The problem comes from the fact that she
was laid down as Tiger Claw but commissioned
as Tiger’s Claw. While the latter is
what appeared on her hull, the former
is frequently used — even in documents
written by the carrier’s pilots and crew. If it
will make you feel better, we promise to use
the “proper” name from here forward.
Anybody that was a die-hard WC fan before the "movie" came out should be able to relate!
Old 07-19-07, 09:25 AM

I sure hupe this is going to be 800 points and not higher!
Old 07-19-07, 01:23 PM
Cool New Member

I'm pretty sure it's $10. Not sure how many points that is. I suggest all you guys should start idling in the www.wcnews.com IRC channel! It's a great place to be. You'll find me in there all the time.

/server irc.wcnews.com
/join #wingnut