Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SotL Criterion Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SotL Criterion Please Help!

Hi. I'm new to the forum and I didn't know if this was the place to post this, but I have a couple of questions regarding this dvd. I recently upgraded to the 2 disc set of Silence of the Lambs and I wanted to get rid of my old Criterion copy that I found in a pawn shop a few years back. I never thought anything of it until now because the disc was mint and it has the insert booklet and everything, but I don't want to sell it and have it turn out to be a bootleg. I've tried checking numerous sites and I'm almost sure its real but there is a lot of conflicting info out there. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Here is the info on my disc:

The cover art matches the criterion and there are no mis-spellings.
It has the insert booklet with the review inside.
The disc art has the sorta fuzzed out eyes on it. It matches the disc art I have seen online.
It has a silver ring. On the frontside on the disc inside the silver ring it has the IFPI 2425.
The bottom of the disc contains:
Two Barcodes, two instances of Nimbus lettering, IFPI L157,
CC1530DVD L1 once regular, once inverted with L2 instead of L1 and finally what looks to be (D0711).
When I pop in in my stand alone player it goes straight to the main menu. No FBI warning or anything. Is this the norm? I don't have any other CC's to check against.
When I put the disc into my dvd-rom. The disc name comes up as UNDEFINED. But DVDProfilier's Disc ID feature correctly identify's it as Silence of the Lambs - The Criterion Collection.

That's all of the info I have been able to compile. Can anyone help me out in telling me if this info matches the real deal? Any help is truly appreciated.
Old 02-21-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read the review on this site. If you enjoy this movie enough to re-purchase the latest version, you should keep that Criterion! I definitely am!
Old 02-21-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As far as I know, the only bogus DVD that ever really looked like the original, rare disc was the Facets Salo thing. Silence of the Lambs has never been worth much more than Criterion's SRP, and I can't imagine why counterfeiters would go to the trouble of precisely duplicating the insert and disc art when the market for the disc is quite small and the disc is not very valuable.
Old 02-21-07, 11:05 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
The eyes on mine don't look like what I would call "fuzzed out". I don't have any of the numbers you have other than the CC15300 with Y00930-14Y after it on the gold playing side and CC15301 on the front side. Instead of ant IFPI codes I have CMCA ones.

Different pressings?
Old 02-21-07, 11:24 AM
AOD

Here are some clickable scans of my unopened copy if you have any further questions about the front and back cover.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Old 02-21-07, 11:27 AM

The eyes aren't fuzzed out. I couldn't find the right words to describe it. The disc looks exactly like the one in this picture: http://wgallo.tripod.com/LambsDisc.jpg
but without the gold tint on the lettering and top of the disc which I'm assuming is from the lighting in the picture and not the disc itself.
Sorry about the bad disc art description.

Last edited by RWolfcastle11; 02-21-07 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 11:33 AM
X
Administrator

Mine looks exactly like the one in that picture too.
Old 02-21-07, 11:41 AM

Cool. Okay so, the disc art and the cover art (thanks X and AOD, much appreciated) both match so far. The one thing I'm really concerned with right now is the dvd-rom thing. X, is there anyway you can check your copy in a dvd-rom to see what the disc name comes up as? Or can anyone else try this? Again all replys are really appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-21-07, 11:50 AM
X
Administrator

DVD Profiler identifies it as

Silence (C4D6B81F)

The Silence of the Lambs: The Criterion Collection
Old 02-21-07, 12:40 PM

Interesting. Heres What mine reads as:

UNDEFINED (D8E4F45F)
The Silence of the Lambs: The Criterion Collection

Do you think this indicates a boot or perhaps an earlier pressing?
Old 02-21-07, 02:36 PM
X
Administrator

I have no idea. Why not send Criterion an email and see what they say about it?