Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What shows do you think are on the chopping block?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Here's what I assume are on the chopping block after this season:

Crossing Jordan: 7-8 million viewers, always in 3rd place
Medium: 8-8.5 million viewers, always in 3rd.
Las Vegas: Under 10 million viewers, I think cost will affect it's return
The Apprentice: It's time to end it.
What about Brian?: Lots of hot girls can't save this show.
Studio 60: 3 million an episode and 6.5 million viewers, it's as good as gone
Veronica Mars: low ratings
Gilmore Girls: aging show
Supernatural: lowest rated show on Thursdays
Friday Night Lights: Can 6-6.5 million viewers be enought for a 2nd season?
Old 02-21-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
NBC:
they can move Medium/Crossing Jordan back to Mondays at 10pm if the Black Donnellys fails there. I think NBC will keep Las Vegas and perhaps move FNL to Sundays at 8. It may be time for Scrubs to call it quits as it isn't keeping enough of the Office lead in. Unfortunately, 30 Rock is faltering too, falling to its lowest ratings on Thursday yet. NBC really likes 30 Rock but the ratings have been declining. Apprentice should go too.
Studio 60 is a definite goner. NBC has so many holes that it will probably plug with more Deal or No Deal. So they may stick with shows they would normally cancel.

Fox:
I think they will keep Til Death even though it is not very good. I think they will can the War at Home and keep the rest of their lineup that they haven't canned already. Drive looks ridiculous.

CBS: They may cancel The Class because Rules of Engagement looks strong enough that they could plug either that or Old Christine into the 8:30 slot. Jericho needs to do well tommorrow or else it could also go. They may cancel King of Queens. CBS doesn't have many holes to plug.

ABC: is a mess and is weak almost everywhere except Sunday and Thursday and Dancing with the Stars once that comes back. They should cancel George Lopez and according to Jim. What about Brian is not drawing viewers and even Tiffani Theisen and Stacey Kiebler will not save the show probably.

The CW is even worse off than ABC. They should cancel everything on Mondays except Everybody hates Chris. They may cancel 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls (Alexis Bledel may not come back), definitely Veronica Mars, and maybe One Tree Hill. Basically everything is down since the move. The only sure bets to keep are Models/Geeks, SmackDown and SmallVille and Supernatural.

Last edited by chowderhead; 02-21-07 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 02:25 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Some things on the CW are going to survive just because they don't have a choice. The one drama they tried to launch this year failed miserably and I don't think they'd want to go into next year with a lot of new programming. That's why they are pushing so hard for another year of Gilmore Girls. I think one of Veronica Mars/Supernatural will survive, right now I'd guess Supernatural.
Old 02-21-07, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBC royally fucked up this season with all of their decisions, however, their Thursday line-up hasn't been this strong in years. Studio 60 may get a second season, but only with a 13 episode order as the advertisers are there and they do owe it to Sorkin for what happened with The West Wing. NBC has been good about giving deserving shows a chance to find their audience, so hopefully Studio 60 will stay for a bit longer. I don't see them cancelling Medium or Crossing Jordan, but both do need to go back to Mondays. However, I do see The Apprentice being the first to get the axe (because it sucks this season, and I've been a fan since the beginning).

CBS: I only watch two shows on this network: How I Met Your Mother and The Class. The former which is staying, the latter's fate is yet to be determined. I'm hoping the latter gets another season to improve as once Lucy Punch was fired, the show finally found it's groove and has been firing on all cylinders since.

FOX and ABC: Don't watch a show on either network anymore.

The CW: As long as Veronica Mars stays, I'm fine.
Old 02-21-07, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBC: Crossing Jordan is done after this season thats for sure, NBC really fucked this show up by not airing it for 8 months. i love Las vegas but things are looking grim, now getting beat by close to home every week (don't understand why people would watch that borefest of LV) & the show is costly paying James Caan must be a bitch for NBC.

It may be time for Scrubs to call it quits as it isn't keeping enough of the Office lead in.
oh, your playing with fire there, Scrubs is a great show and should be kept on the air but moved to a different timeslot. remember %90 of the reason that it loses alot of the office's lead in is because apparently everyone like's CSI & Grey's Anatomy, both shows get like 30 billion viewers and scrubs gets the bad end of the stick, personally the appeal in CSI & greys over Scrubs is beyond me. 30 rock is done after march 15 when Andy Barker P.I. starts.

NBC has so many holes that it will probably plug with more Deal or No Deal.
i may disagree with what NBC will do but your rite they will stick to there safe shows like deal or no deal, which is maybe the worst show on tv next to greys anatomy.

NBC is in a real shithole this year most of there shows come in 2nd or 3rd place even heroes is coming in 2nd now, ER hasn't been in 1st in a long time either.

FOX: i don't think there is one thing besides the war at home, nanny 911 and trading spouses that i like on that channel. with the piece of garbage known as american idol, that show will keep fox strong no matter what happens to everything else. House is not my cup of coffee, and Bones-i don't see the intrest there.

CBS:
They may cancel King of Queens
WHAT? the king of queens is in its final season now so they won't cancel it. CBS is the strongest network this year, they have alot of good shows and they seem to be doing a good job, now with csi: ny beating Lost every week in the ratings and two and a half men and rules of engagement beating 24 and heroes i think cbs is on a role, the only sore spot is that CSI is getting beat by Grey's every week. NCIS is doing great this year coming in 2nd every week, i know that sounds bad but its up against american idol so it won't win thats for sure, i love NCIS good show.

ABC: I hate ABC, its a joke it really is. there only real 2 strong shows are Grey's and Desprate Housewives and i hate both of them. Ugly Betty is god awful, men in trees through a good show is always coming in 3rd against Shark & ER. there comedies this year are the worst i have seen in 15 years of tv, big day was a poor excuse for a sitcom, knights wasn't funny and george lopez show sucks. the thing about ABC shows is there colors they use for shows are so plain and boring it makes you wanna shot the tv. over ABC's history Coach & Roseanne were the only entertaining shows they ever had, through coach is my #1 favorite show of all time and roseanne is up there.

CW: the CW is indeed worse than ABC by a long shot. i hate there whiny bitch dramas and there comedies are garbage. they really fucked themselves over by cancelling Reba-which was a really good show and the only show i have ever liked on the WB/CW over its Mediocre history. i really don't know how this station doesn't go under.
Old 02-21-07, 07:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
oh, your playing with fire there, Scrubs is a great show and should be kept on the air but moved to a different timeslot.
I don't know. I've watched Scrubs from day one, but it feels like its best moments are behind it and it's time to go. That musical show was definately a 'jump the shark' moment.

ABC: I hate ABC, its a joke it really is. there only real 2 strong shows are Grey's and Desprate Housewives and i hate both of them.
Um... Lost?

over ABC's history Coach & Roseanne were the only entertaining shows they ever had, through coach is my #1 favorite show of all time and roseanne is up there.
Hold 'em up there. Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking..... Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Welcome Back Kotter, Barney Miller, Taxi, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels, Home Improvement, Alex Haley's Roots, The Day After, plus all of those great made-for-TV films from the '70s like Duel, The Night Stalker, The Night Strangler, Trilogy Of Terror.
Old 02-21-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CW is in a precarious spot. It could purchase new shows at the same cost of currently running shows and get similar ratings. It seems to me in its own best interest to fill as many slots as possible with new programming.

American Idol has such a strangle hold on its time slots that scheduling is a nightmare for the other networks. Monday & Friday at 8pm and the nightly 10pm slot are very diffucult to retain viewers. Most networks already have shows in the hot spots not occupied by Idol or House or DH or GA. The networks will be battling for some of the worst spots on TV.
Old 02-21-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
CW is in a precarious spot. It could purchase new shows at the same cost of currently running shows and get similar ratings.
Which is why, as it pains me to say it since I like both shows, Veronica Mars & Supernatural are both gonna get axed. I suppose there high production costs don't hurt either.
Old 02-21-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, unfortunately I see Veronica Mars going away... Its really the only show I watch that is on the chopping block.
Old 02-21-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chowderhead - Scrubs is seemingly wrapping itself up admid rumors that Braff will not return - so it doesn't count.

In Case of Emergency and Knights of Posterity are both done.

Others:
What About Brian
Studio 60
(too expensive to produce for such small ratings)

I tend to agree with others regarding the CW shows. What else have they got? They can't expect too much considering their limited market of broadcasting outlets. Supernatural is no more expensive that Smallville (which IMHO should just end already). I too hope that Veronica Mars makes it, but at least they're making it somewhat wrap up nicely (after last night's episode)!
Old 02-21-07, 08:56 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I could see Studio 60 surviving, especially if Sorkin agrees to cut production costs by whittling down on the ensemble case. This would destroy the show, but I find it hard to care since I'm giving up on it at the end of the season.
Old 02-21-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

CW absolutely has to hang on to the shows that are at least a blip on the ratings radar.

Last week.
5. “Smallville” (CW) 5.07m

Thats a little above the 4.8 it averages.

With NEW programming you can at least generate a 2-4m buzz rating. VM struggles to attain the ratings that a new show would generate from buzz and its in a prime spot.

13. “Veronica Mars” (CW) 1.1/3

Up against House is a good spot for a new show. Even though House gets stellar ratings, it is probably the easiest to counter program for.

The following is the CW ratings for the week starting January 28

1.Smallville-5.0 million
2.Friday Night Smackdown-4.5 million
3.Gilmore Girls-3.72 million
4.Reba-3.56 million
5.Supernatural-3.42 million
6.Veronica Mars-3.23 million
7.7th Heaven-3.16 million
8.Beauty And The Geek-3.11 million
9.Everybody Hates Chris-2.83 million
10.Reba (Encore)-2.61 million
11.All Of Us-2.46 million
12.The Game-2.25 million/Girlfriends-2.25 million
13.One Tree Hill-2.23 million
14.Beauty And The Geek(Encore)-1.88 million

What would you drop?
Old 02-21-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I don't see Lost getting 'canceled' per say, but if the ratings keep dipping this season, I could see ABC letting them end it next season. The show's expensive, the writers have claimed they want a set date to write towards the ending and it would definitely boost ratings for a season if they announced at the beginning that it was the last one.
Old 02-21-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, I don't see Lost getting cancelled or anything..especially since it's supposed to be there flagship show. But if the ratings don't improve, at the cost of a couple million an episode, the show won't be able to run the whole 7 seasons the writers want.

But they did do a smart move by moving it up an hour. If they went head to head with American Idol they would definitley be under 10 million.

On another note, I hope Friday Night Lights over on NBC is back. That's the one show that has really caught me by suprise this year.
Old 02-21-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All reality shows should be cancelled.
Old 02-21-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Although Six Degrees is still officially on hiatus ...

"According to ABC's Steve McPherson, possibly May. I'll believe it when I see it."
There is very little chance that Six Degrees will come back next fall, but it was my favorite new show of fall 2006.
Old 02-21-07, 10:02 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

We don't watch a whole lot of tv but one show we used to watch regularly was Without a Trace. Ever since it moved to Sundays, we haven't watched it weekly, the recording just sits in the dvr, it's almost like we will watch it if we don't have anything to watch, which is almost never. There used to be some talk of it here on this forum but it seems like it's dropped off completely.
Old 02-21-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvd182
All reality shows should be cancelled.
Word
Old 02-21-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Heroes is going to get cancelled.
Old 02-21-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Lost is on life support. I think ABC will give it one more year to wrap things up. I do not see Lost going past 5 years.

That is the only show that I watch, that is on life support. All the other shows have rebounded very nicely or we're already strong:

American Idol, Greys, 24, House, Housewives
Old 02-21-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness

Um... Lost?

Lost's ratings are in the crapper this year.
Old 02-21-07, 10:48 AM

King of Queens is officially done. So much so I think they're debating a "baby" scenario that Leah Remini is totally aganist. Me too, I'm actually hoping for the divorce and or break-up scenario. Those two have been nothing but negative energy quite some time...

Tiffani Thiessen's presence on What About Brian seals it. I heard Ted McGinley is in talks to play her dad.

It's sad that the Class is in trouble. It's a cute show, but too many episodes with that newscaster probably reamed it. How I Met Your Mother probably isn't in dire straits but it hasn't made me laugh for the past 5 episodes.

Studio 60's probably going. I was an insane Sports Night but this show makes me cringe--I just don't buy it.
Old 02-21-07, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What about Brothers & sisters? one of the few new shows i like(with men in trees)
Old 02-21-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
What about Brothers & sisters? one of the few new shows i like(with men in trees)
Brothers and Sisters is a 100% lock for a 2nd season. It's getting over 11 million viewers each Sunday.
Old 02-21-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Lost's ratings are in the crapper this year.
I would hardly calll 12.5-14 million viewers in the crapper. But yeah if your comparing it's 1st season ratings when it was getting almost 20 million viewers, then yeah things are down. But, you have to take into account that the competition is so much tougher now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.