Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tori Amos' "American Doll Posse" due May 1st, 2007

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TORI AMOS TO RELEASE NEW ALBUM - AMERICAN DOLL POSSE
Tori has finished her 9th studio album entitled American Doll Posse. It will be released on May 1, 2007 on Epic Records. The album was written and produced by Tori at Martian Engineering in Cornwall, England. Stay tuned for more details.

TORI ANNOUNCES WORLD TOUR LAUNCHING MAY 2007!
On May 28th, Tori will launch her world concert tour, The American Doll Posse Tour, in Rome, Italy. Visit www.toriamos.com for a list of confirmed dates.
Old 02-20-07, 03:10 PM
Banned

I knew about this last week. I thought it was bullshit...so i didn't post it. I guess it's real.
Old 02-20-07, 04:04 PM
Banned

Thank you to the orig. poster...This is great news....

New Nine Inch Nails, Elliott Smith, and now Tori Amos albums all being released within a month from each other....This is amazing...3 of my top 5 musicians of all time releasing new albums....
Old 02-20-07, 04:10 PM
Banned

It better not suck as badly as the last 2 albums. They were atrocious.
Old 02-20-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
It better not suck as badly as the last 2 albums. They were atrocious.
Scarlet's Walk was not atrocious. It wasn't great by Tori standards, but it was a good album.

The Beekeeper was pretty awful. Amazon's reviewer called it her best yet. WTF?
Old 02-20-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I personally thought The Beekeeper was a step up from Scarlets Walk. Either way, both albums had a lot of throw away tracks. Infact, every album since From The ChoirGirl Hotel has been lacking.
Old 02-20-07, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I personally thought The Beekeeper was a step up from Scarlets Walk. Either way, both albums had a lot of throw away tracks. Infact, every album since From The ChoirGirl Hotel has been lacking.
I actually LOVED Venus. And even Girls was better than the last two albums.

If you took a couple of songs from the last 2 albums...you might have a decent EP. There is no artist that has ever disappointed me as much as Tori has. I'm pretty "die hard" when it comes to her. She's got a lot of work to do to win me back.

And she needs to hire a fucking guitarist on this tour. If it's going to be another "piano/drums/bass" scenario, it's going to suck. Get over your ego and hire another guitarist. I dont care what Steve did to you.
Old 02-21-07, 12:33 AM

I'm very curious to see the number of songs and total album length of this one. I'm actually hoping for a nice amount of, say, 10 to 13 songs coming in at under an hour. Though, the cover photo and the title aren't giving me too much hope that this album will be a less indulgent affair than her last two albums. It looks and sounds like stuff that people would make up about her next album as a joke.

Did you know that The Beekeeper is the longest single disc album that I own in my collection of over 2200 Cds? It's 19 songs and just 37 seconds shy of 80 mins. She couldn't have fit any more music on the disc if she tried (and actually, she did try with Garlands, the 8 minute long bonus track that had to go on the limited edition bonus DVD). Scarlett's Walk had only one less song and was only 6 minutes shorter. Both of these could have been improved, IMO, by making a 45-55 minute album out of the best tracks and saving a few songs for b-sides. It's a shame a fantastic song like Gold Dust never gets the respect it deserves from me as I'm too worn out (or asleep) by the previous 70 minutes of Scarlet's Walk to give it the attention it demands.

I think Regina Spektor said it best in one of her songs: "You can write, but you can't edit." (BTW, Regina is currently posed as most likely to take over as the focus my obsessions when and if Tori finally falls.)

Of course, all this griping is a moot point. I will be buying this album on release day (along with the limited edition version, in the likely event that there happens to be one).

Last edited by Tscott; 02-21-07 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 10:36 AM

I forgot all about Venus, parts of Venus was great. Still, my alltime favorite is Under the Pink - with Choirgirl very closely behind that. I think we have just got to a point where Tori no longer has the same message as she once did, she's matured to the point where she is comfortable making pop music, which is sad.

The Beekeeper and Scarlett's Walk both are way to long, I never make it through both albums, mostly because most of the songs are fillers.

And Regina Spektor is friggin' amazing. If Tori doesn't get back to roots, I could totally see people goin' goo-goo over Regina, who reminds me of a younger , slightly less angsty Tori.
Old 02-21-07, 11:26 AM
Banned

I wouldn't say Tori is making pop music AT ALL. If anything, she's still making a similar type music but she's just completely mellowed out. There's no fire or passion in her music any more. What I heard was a lot of extremes in her music; whether it be anger, sadness or whatever else she's feeling.

Now everything is just kinda....blah.

And like I said...i had this info a few weeks ago. I just thought it was bullshit.
Old 02-21-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I wouldn't say Tori is making pop music AT ALL. If anything, she's still making a similar type music but she's just completely mellowed out. There's no fire or passion in her music any more. What I heard was a lot of extremes in her music; whether it be anger, sadness or whatever else she's feeling.
Yeah, i'd agree with this. They say great art is only made through suffering, and it's obvious that Tori's pretty happy these days.

Not that that's a bad thing, of course.

However, I disagree with some of the comments about Scarlet's Walk. I think that's a great album and it was the one responsible for me becoming more than a casual Tori fan.
Old 02-21-07, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Yeah, i'd agree with this. They say great art is only made through suffering, and it's obvious that Tori's pretty happy these days.

Not that that's a bad thing, of course.
I really hate to say this out loud.....BUT....

I remember hearing about when Tori had another miscarriage and in talking to a friend, we both said "well, at the very least we'll get a new album out of this."

Now, she's happily married with child. And she's completely blah.
Old 02-21-07, 12:09 PM

Yeah, I can't see the current Tori ever writing something like 'Under the Pink' or 'Boys for Pele'. She seems comfortable with the middle-of-the road mellow music now. Nothing wrong with that per say, it's just not what most of us fans really want to hear. We want the old Tori, the stuff that stood out above all the rest of the music out there.
Old 02-21-07, 12:35 PM
Banned

Yeah, I can't see the current Tori ever writing something like 'Under the Pink' or 'Boys for Pele'. She seems comfortable with the middle-of-the road mellow music now. Nothing wrong with that per say, it's just not what most of us fans really want to hear. We want the old Tori, the stuff that stood out above all the rest of the music out there.
yeah...but the problem is that it's not even GOOD mellow music.
I would say that Sarah McLachlan can write good (sometimes great) mellow music. It's not even up to that.

Going to see Tori in concert was almost always amazing. Seeing the Girls tour (especially after 9/11) was an amazing experience and one of the few concerts (possibly only) I've ever been to where I've actually cried in the middle of it. But now we're getting to the point where she's mixing in too many songs that are just a disappointment and I don't want to hear live. One more album of this crap and I might have to be done with her.
Old 02-21-07, 02:19 PM
Banned

Well , i guess i am alone in really liking Scarlet's Walk, Strange Little Girls, and the Beekeeper...Yes there are songs on these albums that i think would be considered "filler" but i think overall these are rather good albums overall and there are a lot of good tracks to be found on each one... Also i am prob. alone in my enjoyment of Y Kant Tori Read...yes its silly and very '80's but there are some rather enjoyable songs IMO....Overall though I would say my fav. Tori album is the extended edition of Little Earthquakes from the "A Piano" box set...
Having said that I am eagerly awaiting the new Tori album even though the title is pretty silly and for once Tori doesn't look sexy to me on the new promo pics....
Old 02-21-07, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Also i am prob. alone in my enjoyment of Y Kant Tori Read...yes its silly and very '80's but there are some rather enjoyable songs IMO....
The post 2000 version of Cool On Your Island is mind-blowing.

That i will give you.
Old 02-21-07, 04:12 PM

Going to see Tori in concert was almost always amazing. Seeing the Girls tour (especially after 9/11) was an amazing experience and one of the few concerts (possibly only) I've ever been to where I've actually cried in the middle of it. But now we're getting to the point where she's mixing in too many songs that are just a disappointment and I don't want to hear live. One more album of this crap and I might have to be done with her.
I had the chance to see Tori during her tour for the Beekeeper and while there was to many songs, she still put on an amazing performance. Doubt I'd go out of my way to see her again, just due to the fact I know it'd be more of the new stuff and even less of the classic stuff.

Old 02-21-07, 04:19 PM
Banned

I had the chance to see Tori during her tour for the Beekeeper and while there was to many songs, she still put on an amazing performance. Doubt I'd go out of my way to see her again, just due to the fact I know it'd be more of the new stuff and even less of the classic stuff.

Plugged and SLG tours were my favorite. Hate to tell you but you missed some fantastic tours. Beekeeper was my least favorite. I think I saw it at Jones Beach, IIRC. That's the sad part. I don't even remember any more. I've seen her probably 1-2 dozen times live.
Old 02-22-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I remember hearing about when Tori had another miscarriage and in talking to a friend, we both said "well, at the very least we'll get a new album out of this."
You're not the only person who has said that. Guilty as charged.

And I used to be a HUGE tori fan. Up to TVAB, I had multiple copies of EVERY release, saw multiple concerts every tour, the whole shebang. But after that, she just got too mellow and MOR, so I completelty lost interest. SW was a decent album, but not a great Tori album. I'm curious to hear the new stuff, and will of course get it first day, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll be up to the standards of LE or BfP.

And can you honestly blame people who thought "American Doll Posse" was a prank? It really seems that she's trying to bring back the "strange girl at at the piano" thing. It's a shame the music has been so bland in comparison...

-jason
Old 02-22-07, 02:01 PM

Did anyone enjoy Raspberry Swirl? The guy who produced it has done work on the first single. She's stated this album will get back to the more rocky guitar sound than the mellow stuff she's been making lately. That alone gives me hope for this new album.

Sweet The Sting and Sleeps With Butterflies were the shit.
Old 02-22-07, 09:59 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
Did anyone enjoy Raspberry Swirl? The guy who produced it has done work on the first single. She's stated this album will get back to the more rocky guitar sound than the mellow stuff she's been making lately. That alone gives me hope for this new album.
Anything connected with 'Choirgirl Hotel' is good in my book. I always enjoyed 'Scarlet's Walk' but 'Beekeeper' threw me off so badly I skipped the tour. I just warmed up to that album last year (a bit late, heh?). I'm seeing her on tour this time around, regardless...
Old 02-23-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
Sweet The Sting and Sleeps With Butterflies were shit.
fixed.

-jason
Old 02-23-07, 10:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
fixed.

-jason

one big huge
Old 02-23-07, 11:52 AM

fixed.

-jason
Harsh. I loved Sweet the Sting. Sleeps with Butterflies was merely pleasant & forgettable.
Old 02-24-07, 04:35 PM

fixed.

-jason

Off topic a little:

Why didn't she just add the b-sides from Strange Little Girls onto the album? It would have made it a total of 14 songs, it's not as if she needed to save valuable disc space or anything. Besides, After All and Only Women Bleed were much better than some of the songs that made that album. Either way that album was a really self-indulgent mistake.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.