Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamestop sinks even lower

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamestop sinks even lower

Gamestop's new automated calling system

GameStop's new automated calling system zooms past "doorbell going off while you're in the shower" and into "fingernails screeching on chalkboard" territory.

Has GameStop crossed the line?

Reports from several sources have indicated that Aeris, GameStop's "lovable" auto-dialing machine, has started to make unsolicited phone calls to people whose only crime was being gracious enough to buy their games. A blogger from Ars Technica writes:

"I preordered Zelda: Twilight Princess a while back when I was waiting for the Wii. I picked it up and never thought about it again. Then, at dinnertime last night, my phone rang."

We hope you're enjoying your copy of Twiliight Princess, but if you're finished with it, why don't you bring it to the store and trade it in?"
--GameStop automated message

"'We hope you're enjoying your copy of Twiliight Princess, but if you're finished with it, why don't you bring it to the store and trade it in? We're willing to give you $35 in trade for your copy of Twilight Princess....' I hung up at this point, and try[sic] not to curse. I really don't like this sort of phone call, but I'm almost willing to tolerate it when they're telling me a game I want to buy is coming in."

A similar story appeared recently on The Consumerist, with the customer going as far as calling the customer service line to remove his name from the list:

"[I] waited on hold for a few minutes, got a CSR and asked that my name be removed from the solicitation list. I said that I don't mind the calls telling me my reserved games are in, but that the solicitations needed to stop. He said that the two systems are linked, and that I couldn't be removed from one without being removed from the other."

The customer then complied to be removed, but the operator did not confirm his deletion from the list, merely telling him that he had "put in a request" to the system. And as far as the customer knows (or any customer, for that matter), not once was he notified by a GameStop employee that his presence on the pre-order list would lead to possible sales calls.

A call to a local GameStop store revealed that this is, in fact, company policy. Not punishing gamers for pre-ordering their games, of course, but using the same phone number database for two separate purposes: one moderately helpful, the other completely irresponsible. One doesn't need a degree in brain surgeon school to figure out that GameStop needs to change this system, and fast.
It is annoying enough to walk in the store and be constantly hassled by the employees to trade something in or to pre-order something. Now they are starting to call people in the privacy of their homes to harass them with this shit??
Old 02-16-07, 06:50 PM

Received 807 Likes on 524 Posts
Paging Suprmallet to thread #492761.
Old 02-16-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Aeris what has happened to you? You used to call me to tell me my preorder was in and now you are trying to get the game back?
Old 02-16-07, 08:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Paging Suprmallet to thread #492761.
I'm not going to defend this policy. I don't even like Aeris calling me to tell me my games are in, because I work at the store and know when the games are coming in (although I can see how it would be useful for people who don't work at the store).

Usually the company sends out those kind of calls when we have some kind of promotion. If I recall, the price quoted on Twilight Princess is actually higher than our normal trade in value on it.

But yeah, as a private individual (i.e. not a representative of Gamestop, as I never represent Gamestop on these boards), I think this is pretty lame.
Old 02-16-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That what you get for preordering games at GameStop.
Old 02-16-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm not at all suprised. I haven't been inside a Gamestop in years. I can't believe they're still in business when Best Buy and Circuit City often have better sales.
Old 02-16-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Thats what you get for preordering ANYTHING
Old 02-17-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lucky me... i never buy new games from GS, their prices are insane and i don't understand why people buy from them in the first place. Maybe store credits? I only buy used games from them, even then, i have to wait for promotions, like B2G1 free, heehee...
Old 02-17-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^^ insane is a little exaggerated...

Yes, i agree the phone call is annoying...
Old 02-17-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
If they paid at least $20 -$40 for -ALL trade ins- instead of 75 cents I honestly would'n't mind the call...
Old 02-17-07, 10:17 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty lame, luckily I haven't got one yet. Haven't bought anything there since I picked up my preordered Wii, Zelda and extra controller in November.

Other than the occasional used game during a sell, I rarely set foot in those stores, and this practice gives me yet another reason to steer clear.
Old 02-17-07, 11:09 AM
Banned

I only go to Gamestop when I feel like a loser and then I see one of the douchebags working there and I feel better about myself.

Thanks Gamestop!
Old 02-17-07, 11:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 02-17-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got my Wii there and got their service plan... Should I be expecting a call?
Old 02-17-07, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I got my Wii there and got their service plan... Should I be expecting a call?

Probably yes.
Old 02-17-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've shopped there for years and they do hire idiots, but most of the employees are very cool and do know things about games. When you find a good store with good employees it makes shopping there worth it. Its those bad apples that ruin it for everyone.

I feel for EB/Gamestop employees. They are under tremendous pressure to meet weekly goals for sales, preorders, used games and they get very little in compensation in return. Many only work there simply because they love gaming. I don't think its right to dump on all the employees just because the corporation is frequently clueless and cheap.
Old 02-17-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Many only work there simply because they love gaming. I don't think its right to dump on all the employees just because the corporation is frequently clueless and cheap.
This is an awfully forgiving perspective. Gamestop's business is centered around fucking the industry out of as much money as possible through used game sales, and fucking consumers out of money by pushing inferior accessories, buy pushing their shill magazine, by buying used games at below-market value, and by selling used games as new.

Even the isolated 'good' Gamestops are still part of the larger problem.
Old 02-17-07, 12:55 PM

Received 807 Likes on 524 Posts
MY experience with GS/EB is fine. I only buy used games from them and maybe an occassional new game when they have a good promotion.

The folks that work at the EB I frequent are weiros, but they are nice guys, and haven't tried to push anything on me... prolly 'cause I'm bigger than them and would knock their teeth in () if they tried.
Old 02-17-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
and by selling used games as new.
I've often wondered about this.

The few times I've been in a Gamestop, I don't think I've ever seen a used game there that looked like it was in halfway decent condition. They're either missing the manual, the case art, or look like they've been chewed up by a dog.

Since they open up their "new" games and take the disc out, I've always sort of suspected that they sell used games that are in halfway decent condition as "new."
Old 02-17-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Since they open up their "new" games and take the disc out, I've always sort of suspected that they sell used games that are in halfway decent condition as "new."

Huh? What do you mean?
Old 02-17-07, 03:18 PM
Banned

They sell used games as new.
Old 02-17-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never pre-ordered anything from a physical GS/EB Games, so I don't have to worry about this. I stopped giving either of them any of my business years ago. Now that Best Buy gets games the same day as GS/EB, they have lost any advantage they may have had in the past. I honestly don't see the company lasting another 10 years.
Old 02-17-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
I only go to Gamestop when I feel like a loser and then I see one of the douchebags working there and I feel better about myself.

Thanks Gamestop!

With my local GS, I can see how this could work.
Old 02-18-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well look at the kind of people that trade their games into Gamestop. That's pretty much why the discs are in shitty condition. But then again why would you treat anything you own nicely if you are dumb enough to trade them in at Gamestop?
Old 02-18-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi

Thanks Gamestop!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.