Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Wii classic controller problem?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-12-07, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this might be a stupid question but I have not been able to find how to fix it. I have the classic controller plugged into the Wiimote but it would not work. It loads fine and the main screen comes up but then it freezes. Niether the Wiimote or the controller work at all, as a matter of fact I have to turn off the system to get back to the Wii menu.

I bet it's easy thing but I don't know what is wrong.
the only thing that I think maybe wrong is if you need an SD card to play, I don't have one of those?
Anyone able to help?
Old 02-12-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haven't had any problems with either of the CCs I have. When exactly is it locking up? Is it a specific game?
Old 02-12-07, 12:28 PM

I think it was harvestmoon they were trying to play. Is that all you have to do is plug it into the Wiimote?
Old 02-12-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So that's a Gamecube game with no Gamecube controller plugged into the hardwire ports. It might be something in the game or the emulator.

I haven't tried myself, but can you even use the CC in place of a GCN controller for those games? If you have access to a gamecube controller, I'd try plugging that into port 1 (the one closest to the front of the Wii).
Old 02-12-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that the classic controller only works on virtual console games. I didn't think that Harvest Moon had made it to the Virtual Console yet (I could be wrong though.) You might just need a Gamecube controller instead.
Old 02-12-07, 12:41 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, you can't use the CC with Gamecube games. You need a GC controller and a GC memory card to play them.
Old 02-12-07, 12:45 PM

Well I thought you needed a C/C to play reg gamecube games if you didnt have any G/C controllers.
Old 02-12-07, 12:50 PM

Ok?....what are virtual console games?...Do you need the memory card to play the games or just to save it?
Old 02-12-07, 12:53 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Ok?....what are virtual console games?...Do you need the memory card to play the games or just to save it?

Virtual console games are old games you buy online through the Wii (NES, SNES, Genesis, Turbographix 16 and Nintendo 64 games are available).

I've not tried a GC game without the card in, so not sure if you need it to play or just save. But at anyrate you need one as there aren't many games you are going to want to play if you can't save.
Old 02-12-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A memory card is required to save your progress in Gamecube games (the smaller discs). They plug into the top of the unit, next to the 4 controller ports.

At no point do you NEED an SD memory card to play or save any game.

VC games are what you download from the Wii Shop Channel. You buy points which you use to buy games. Typically these are going to use the Classic Controllers.
Old 02-12-07, 01:03 PM

Ok I think I got it.....Thanks for all to info. now I won't look to stupid in front of my kids ...BTW this console is a blast!.....My Daughter kicks my A** in tennis
Old 02-12-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The thing to remember is that when using a Gamecube disc, the Wii essentially becomes a Gamecube. You need everything that you would need to play that disc on an actual Gamecube console. If there is a weakness in the emulation of the Wii, this method of treating Gamecube discs is it (i.e. removing all Wii functionality the moment you select a GCN disc in the Wii Meno). However, even with that drawback, the ability of the console to fully emulate back-catalog materials is impressive. Between GCN titles and the regular release of VC games, there is going to be no real shortage of interesting titles to play even during lulls in Wii Title releases.