Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

iPod portable speaker system -- suggestions?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone bought a portable speaker system for your iPod? I've done just a bit of research and seems like, based on reviews, a lot of these speakers have poor sound quality, low volume levels, no bass, etc.

I've found two that review well. A Bose system at about $299 (a little pricey for me) and another one by Altec Lansing, the iMotion iM7. Target, Sears, and Walmart all have the iM7 listed online but none in stores. It retails at $250 but lists on Amazon for $156. I'd really like to test it in-store before I buy one.

Anyone listened to either of these systems or have one they really like?
Old 02-12-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a Klipsch iGroove, and it kicks ass. It is comparable to the Bose station and can be found for around $200 and under.
Old 02-12-07, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I have a Klipsch iGroove, and it kicks ass. It is comparable to the Bose station and can be found for around $200 and under.
Thanks, I hadn't heard about this one. Unfortunately, according to their website, I don't have any authorized dealers in my area. Supposedly Best Buy is a dealer, but I can't find this on their website.
Old 02-12-07, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I have three of these:

and I'm pretty happy with it, so based on that, I would recommend going to www.ihomeaudio.com and browsing around.
Old 02-12-07, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Related question -- anyone aware of a good iPod docking station that plugs into a receiver so I can make use of my home theater speakers?
Old 02-12-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Related question -- anyone aware of a good iPod docking station that plugs into a receiver so I can make use of my home theater speakers?
this is all you need

Old 02-12-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I have the Altec Lansing iM7, bought it shortly after Christmas '05. I'd recommend it, as it did produce great sound EXCEPT about a couple of months ago the left side speakers blew out. I don't remember pumping the volume up loud enough to do that, though. Now I only get sound from the right and there's a noise that's always present except at times when the iPod's backlight is on. Strange. Maybe I just got a dud that crapped out after a year.

Based on the above experience, I'm in no rush to purchase an iPod-ready substitute. I'll likely just get some computer speakers to plug into my iPod. Sure, there's no docking station, but it'll be way cheaper.
Old 02-13-07, 01:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GuessWho
this is all you need

That makes a ton of sense. I didn't even think about the fact that my iPod has an output jack built right in (probably because I'm an idiot).
Old 02-13-07, 08:35 AM

this is all you need

Well I feel like an idiot too. My husband asked me if there was a docking station so we could plug it into the home stereo. Guess we can. . .and easily too!
Old 02-13-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have both a bose sound dock (got it for half price), and a Tivoli pal radio.

The Tivoli is a nice radio, that has a built in rechargeable battery, water resistant, and a am/fm tuner, and inputs for an ipod. It can be had for like 140, and honestly is well worth the money if you want something small, durable and fairly inexpensive. The only negative is that it's not that good with bass.

It appears it's the last year for the current model so I'm not sure if it makes sense to get a new one, or wait to see what the new model looks like. I'm curious as well..

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/articles.php?articleid=111
Old 02-13-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the Athen iVoice and I think it's a great speaker. The speaker has great bass and is very loud. Here is a review from iLounge.com

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...table-speaker/

Old 02-13-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this is all you need

so many people don't realize that is all it takes and spend tons on portable speakers when they could use what they already have!
Old 02-13-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.eworldsale.com/wireless-l...109_14031.html

This is even better. Pretty much takes place of the cable pictured above, but using bluetooth technology allows you to control the iPod from anywhere within a 30 ft range and still allows you to use your home stereo.

I have this setup in my home, since I'm often on my laptop 10 feet away from my stereo. I can sit with my ipod next to my laptop and play the music thru the stereo. Furthermore, I can plug in the wireless transmitter directly to my laptop to play mp3s off the hard drive if I wanted.
Old 02-13-07, 04:48 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by db27
so many people don't realize that is all it takes and spend tons on portable speakers when they could use what they already have!
But you would be advised to get the Ipod Dock as then the volume is a little more controlled, otherwise you can control it on the Ipod and on the stereo, this way the output is not just through the headphone Jack.

I don't know the technical term for all that. but the sound should be better coming through the dock.
Old 02-13-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ESG927
Thanks, I hadn't heard about this one. Unfortunately, according to their website, I don't have any authorized dealers in my area. Supposedly Best Buy is a dealer, but I can't find this on their website.
You can order it directly from Klipsch with free shipping-

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/igroove-hg.aspx
Old 02-14-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i have Logitech mm28 Portable Speakers and like them.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-97017...&s=electronics
Old 02-16-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by db27
I would assume by the title portable he would want the ability to take it with him/her. So, I don't think a home stereo will really do the job.
Old 02-16-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts
I use the Altec Lansing iMmini at work and recommend it. I'm not sure which iPod model you have, but the iMmini isn't mini-specific...the nano will work with no modifications, and the full size iPods will work if you file off the tabs next to the dock connector that help keep the mini in place.

Buy.com currently has it for $35 shipped, but they sold it for as low as $21 in December.
Old 02-24-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bose SoundDock (black) for me....love it!
Old 02-25-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My cousin has one of these that he brings tailgating. I couldn't believe how good it sounded from such little speakers:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...od=ONSTAGE/230
Old 02-26-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
For much better sound than *any* of the ipod-specific systems from JBL, Bose, etc, just buy a well-reviewed 2.1 computer speaker system and an ipod dock for simultaneous charging if desired.

Two or three times the bang for your buck.

I went with the JBL creatures when I bought my ipod years back, and since they're white they match the dock and the ipod. Decent room-filling sound for like $75 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Creature-I.../dp/B0001DQ5YG