Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dream Theater - "Systematic Chaos"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

When Dream Theater & Roadrunner Records Unite!

Roadrunner Records is proud to announce the signing of progressive metal pioneers Dream Theater. A new studio album, Systematic Chaos is due in June. Dream Theater will hit the road in support of the album for a world tour, including major festival appearances in Europe.

Since their first studio release in 1989, this U.S. based five-piece has notched up record and DVD sales in excess of six million and headlined to audiences of 20,000. Having undertaken seven world tours across 42 different countries, Dream Theater has established a live reputation that has swept them to arena-status around the globe. They have appeared alongside acts such as Deep Purple, Iron Maiden and Yes.

Recognized by peers and public alike for their advanced musical expertise, the band (Mike Portnoy, drums; John Petrucci, guitar; John Myung, bass; James LaBrie, vocals; Jordan Rudess, keyboards) has long held the ability to combine complex arrangements with unadulterated songwriting skills, the material often underpinned by riffs as heavy as anything in the Metallica repertoire.

"This album's got all of the elements we've become known for," reveals Portnoy. "The focus on musicianship, the skull-crushing riffs, the big progressive epics and the heart-wrenching melodies. We've got one of the strongest and most devoted fan bases in the world, and they should certainly be happy with the new material. By working closely with the label we hope to turn a great many new heads, too."

"Dream Theater and Roadrunner Records have led parallel careers on the cutting edge of metal for many years," say A&R men, Derek Oliver & Dante Bonutto, "We're thrilled to be working with a genuine market-leader, and when you add everything the guys bring to the table to the independent spirit and work ethic of the label, the results can only be exciting in the extreme!"

Prior to teaming up with Roadrunner, Dream Theater was signed to a seven-album deal with Warner Music Group worldwide. The deal commenced with the critically acclaimed and commercially successful Images And Words (1992), a Gold-certified US release, and concluded, in equal style, with Octavarium (2005), a Top 40 Billboard outing. In August of last year the band issued Score, a live album/DVD (recorded at Radio City Music Hall in New York), which went straight to the No. 1 spot on the Billboard DVD charts, knocking Pink Floyd from the top!

By the following month, the five were holed up at Avatar Studios in New York, working on the new album with veteran engineer/ mixer Paul Northfield (Rush, Queensr˙che, Porcupine Tree). As usual, Portnoy and Petrucci chose to co-produce the project, which features seven compositions (one a 25-minute epic), and word on the grapevine is that the Dream Theater/Roadrunner alliance looks all set to kick off with a classic.

Systematic Chaos, Dream Theater's ninth studio release, arrives at a time when the band is casting a longer-than-ever shadow across the rock and metal landscape. Their influence is being acknowledged by an increasing number of contemporary, cutting-edge acts such as Stone Sour, Trivium, Shadows Fall, Opeth as their fan base continues to grow.
Info at: Dream Theater.net & Roardrunner Records

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 04-04-07 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news! Looking forward to a summer tour. It would be great to see some fellow labelmates join the bill (Opeth, Porcupine Tree).
Old 02-09-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, this is great news
I didn't ever really get in to Octavarium, but have loved their other stuff since Rudess joined.
Old 02-09-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and, man, would i love a DT/Opeth/Porcupine Tree triple bill (were it to come to fruition).
That might just go down as the best show in prog history.
Old 02-09-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm not really a big fan as I hate the keyboards, but it is cool that they put out a new album every year or so.
Old 02-09-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'm not really a big fan as I hate the keyboards, but it is cool that they put out a new album every year or so.
Every year since they put out a live show after almost every tour. This is their ninth album and there are 5 official Live discs.

Originally Posted by edclem
I didn't ever really get in to Octavarium, but have loved their other stuff since Rudess joined.
How many listens did you give it? I pumped myself full of Train of Thought before Octovarium's release so I was a little let down by it at first. It grew on me and I now prefer it to Train of Thought.
Old 02-09-07, 06:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Get excited Jeff!, Get excited!
Old 02-09-07, 07:40 PM

If DT/Opeth and Porcupine Tree did tour together the show'd last 5-6 hours imho.[get there at 7 finish by 2am]
Old 02-09-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if that 25 minute song will be the finale of Portnoy's AA opus.
Old 02-21-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Track Listing:

1. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.1
2. Forsaken
3. Constant Motion
4. The Dark Eternal Night
5. Repentance
6. Prophets of War
7. The Ministry of Lost Souls
8. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.2
Old 02-21-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hawk
If DT/Opeth and Porcupine Tree did tour together the show'd last 5-6 hours imho.[get there at 7 finish by 2am]
I saw Opeth on their Chronology tour a while ago where they played a couple of pieces from each of their albums in order, ending with "Ghost Reveries" material. No opening band and they played for around three hours. Excellent show!
Old 02-22-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now if only they would get a new singer.
Old 02-22-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moorehed
I've gotten used to Lebre over the years. Maybe its just me, but I couldn't see them with a screamer/growler. [rant] I'd rather hear James Labre sing then most of these wannabe whiny emo punk singers who do nothing but complain that their girl dumped them. [/rant]

Last edited by Rypro 525; 02-22-07 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-22-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should do an album with Maynard.
Old 02-22-07, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Labrie is one of the best vocalists in the industry.
Old 02-22-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of course he is good technically. Everyone is good technically in dream theatre. I however don't like his style.
Old 02-23-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Not to mention the various side projects over the years like Jelly Jam and Platypus.
Old 02-23-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by darkside
Not to mention the various side projects over the years like Jelly Jam and Platypus.
Just to name a few more:

Transatlantic
O.S.I.
Liquid Tension Experiment
Mulmuzzler

Yellow Matter Custard (Beatles tribute)
Hammer of the Gods (Led Zeppelin tribute)
Cygnus & the Sea Monsters (Rush tribute)
Amazing Journey (Who tribute)

Personally, O.S.I. is the best of the bunch followed by LTE & James LaBrie's Elements of Persuasion.
Old 02-23-07, 09:02 PM
Banned

Along with a new guitarist, drummer, keyboardist, bassist.

Old 04-04-07, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Added the cover artwork to the first post. I like it. I do miss the artistic style of their first couple of albums though.
Old 04-07-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just started listening to the instrumental demos. Of the 7 tracks, there is no song shorter than 10:29.
Old 04-07-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

where'd you snag those?
Old 04-07-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not a big fan of their singer, either. I'd like to see them do an instrumental album (and LTE doesn't count).
Old 04-07-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
where'd you snag those?
Rhymes with florence.

It may not be the real deal though, but it sounds convincing.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 04-08-07 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-09-07, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
something you all might enjoy
<embed width="425" height="350"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAKlvNKlR3A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>
Its a live version of A Change of Seasons, but its the version that was made in 93 (since A Change of Seasons was supposed to be the second disc to Images and Words, and the label didnt' let them do it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.