Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Joel - "All My Life" (first new single since 1993!)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-03-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

COLUMBIA RECORDS ANNOUNCES THE RELEASE OF "ALL MY LIFE,"
BILLY JOEL'S FIRST NEWLY-WRITTEN & NEWLY-RECORDED POP SONG
SINCE 1993's "RIVER OF DREAMS"

New Billy Joel Pop Single To Premiere On People.com From February 7 - February 14

"All My Life" Available Exclusively On iTunes From February 20 - March 6

# # # # #

Columbia Records will release "All My Life," the long-awaited new pop single from the iconic singer/songwriter/performer Billy Joel. "All My Life" is Billy's first new pop music since his 5x platinum Grammy-nominated album, River of Dreams, was released in 1993.

"All My Life" was recorded at New York's Legacy Recording Studios and produced by longtime musical associate Phil Ramone, who first worked with Billy on the artist's 1977 breakout album, The Stranger, and shared Grammy Awards with Billy for 1978's Song of the Year, "Just The Way You Are," and 1979's Album of the Year, 52nd Street.

Written as Billy's anniversary present to his wife, Katie Lee Joel, the romantic "All My Life" will premiere exclusively on People magazine's online homepage, People.com, the week leading into Valentine's Day (February 7 - February 14), where it may streamed or incorporated into a Valentine's Day e-card for everyone's special someone.

"All My Life" will be available as an exclusive download on iTunes from February 20 - March 6 before becoming more widely available online through a variety of digital services.

The track will be commercially available as a ringtone/ringback beginning February 20 with a commercial CD single of "All My Life" to follow.

Billy Joel will perform the National Anthem at Super Bowl XLI on February 4, 2007, marking Billy's second time performing anthem at the Super Bowl.
Don't forget to check out Billy at the Super Bowl tomorrow. He is also on the road again.

More info can be found on his site: Billy Joel.com

Pretty cool getting a new song. Unfortunately it sounds like a one-off, with no album in the works. But hey, maybe it sparked his creativity. One can only hope. I'll skip the tour, I've seen him three times, maybe if he puts out another album.
Old 02-03-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
About Friggin' Time!!!!!
Old 02-04-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of Billy Joel singing the national anthem, you can bet on how long long it will take him to sing with the clock starting on the first note. over / under 1 minute 42 seconds.

As for Billy Joel coming back to pop, this should be interesting. I *really* want him to succeed and I'm glad he came back to what he knows best (he went off to try classical music).
Old 02-04-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Innocent Man & Nylon Curtain were the last albums I cared about from him. As far as new music goes I'm incredibly skeptical. Prove me wrong Billy.
Old 02-05-07, 11:17 AM
Banned

God I hope it doesn't sound anything like the National Anthem from the Super Bowl yesterday.
Old 02-05-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh, it wasn't that bad. It started out rough, but I thought he quickly got back on track.
Old 02-05-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got tickets for Billy Joel in Chicago in April. He still rocks the house live.
Old 02-05-07, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Oh, it wasn't that bad. It started out rough, but I thought he quickly got back on track.
uhhh..no dude. i studied voice for several years. it was really pretty bad.

my mom is tone deaf and even she complained.
Old 02-05-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

he was terrible
Old 02-05-07, 05:01 PM

As he said in the pre-game interview, the National Anthem is a pretty terrible song and really hard to sing well. Joel has NOT lost his voice, and if anyone needs any proof, I suggest listening to 2006's 12 Gardens Live album. His voice is still strong. I have no idea how his songwriting is after 14 years off, but I for one can't wait until Wedensday to check out the song. It'll even make me check out the (groan) people.com website.
Old 02-06-07, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
As he said in the pre-game interview, the National Anthem is a pretty terrible song and really hard to sing well. Joel has NOT lost his voice, and if anyone needs any proof, I suggest listening to 2006's 12 Gardens Live album. His voice is still strong. I have no idea how his songwriting is after 14 years off, but I for one can't wait until Wedensday to check out the song. It'll even make me check out the (groan) people.com website.
Of COURSE it's a hard song to sing.

And no one is saying he lost his voice.

But....he sucked.

That said, I used to be a big Joel fan. I think the first BIG concert I went to was the 93 River Of Dreams concert at the Garden. But he has lost some of his vocal abilities. Heavy drinking will do that to you. And yes, I have the Gardens album.
Old 02-06-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's great news about a new song! I'll be waiting to get it on cd.. I knew of the tour though and have had tickets for a little bit now. Can't wait!
Old 02-07-07, 09:03 AM

Well, the single is up. You can download it here . It doesn't exactly have "hit single" written all over it, but it's pretty pleasent. Clearly a Sinatra-inspired song (and if you couldn't tell that musically, that photo would be a clue.

It's kind of a throwback song that might have been a deeper track on 52nd Street. I'm not blown away, but not disappointed either. Hopefully it'll start some creative juices flowing and I hope we get an album sometime relatively soon.

Last edited by Decker; 02-07-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-07-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pretty good assessment Decker. Great song, but not hit/radio material and it definitely harkens back to Sinatra.

I could see it becoming a solid wedding reception type song.

I'll pick up the single if I can find it, or at least d/l from iTunes to show my support for his new music.
Old 02-07-07, 11:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this would only be a good wedding reception song if you've hurt everyone around you. The song just goes on and on.
Old 02-07-07, 12:25 PM
Cool New Member

it's not the "comeback" single i thought it'd be.

Old 02-08-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Heat
Speaking of Billy Joel singing the national anthem, you can bet on how long long it will take him to sing with the clock starting on the first note. over / under 1 minute 42 seconds.
I know that you were dying to know how long it actully took - he sung it in 1 minute 37 seconds.
Old 03-06-07, 01:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Very Tony Bennett-ish ...

It was just ok, and I've been a fan since 1977 ...

Hey Bill : How about a real album without any 'Easy Listening' Songs?

And I agree with a poster above ... I've seen him a bunch of times, but will wait for him to tour with new songs. Otherwise, it would be just like seeing him on New Years 2000 ...
Old 03-06-07, 02:37 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I was hoping maybe it would be a cover of the Foo Fighters song.
Old 03-06-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
I was hoping maybe it would be a cover of the Foo Fighters song.
Leave that to Prince.