Friday Night Lights - "Upping the Ante" - 1/31/07

Old 01-31-07, 11:31 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Friday Night Lights - "Upping the Ante" - 1/31/07

"Upping the Ante"
Spoiler:
Team members prepare for their first playoff game; coach Taylor struggles between readying for the game and dealing with Smash's situation; Tyra and Julie start an unlikely friendship; Riggins reconnects with his estranged father.
Old 01-31-07, 08:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Good episode

Liked the TV show and Saracen asking about Smash, "What the hell kind of question is that?" The look on his face was great as was the look on Saracen's grandmothers face as the rally girls dragged him out.
Old 01-31-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad Julie didn't take any of Tyra's advice. I don't like the two of them hanging out together.

It was great to see more of Julie this episode too...she had more than a couple lines!! She's a cutie. I hope she's on the show for awhile. She seems a lot younger than Tyra.

The whole Street/Lyla story is...boring.
Old 01-31-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
I liked Julie and Tyra hanging out, I like both of them and Tyra really has nothing to do on this show. I liked that Julie was on there quite a bit this week unlike recent weeks.

I really want to like the Street/Lyla stuff and I kind of do but it's starting to bore me a little. At least it gave Buddy a little time.

I didn't groan every time I saw 'Brian' on the screen this week so that's progress.
Old 01-31-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Julie (Aimee Teegarden) is a real 17 year old teenager, while Tyra (Adrianne Palicki) is around 23.

The little conversation between Street and coach at the courthouse with them sharing a laugh about Buddy's reaction to the marriage proposal was a nice touch.

Matt is naive at times (lying about something that didn't need lying about), but maybe he and Julie will work it out. Of course, I doubt coach would have liked to have heard that Julie pretty much froze out Matt on the day of their playoff game.

Riggins's dad is a prince...not.

That was a good thing coach did, getting Smash to relax about the situation, while still stoking the love for the game.
Old 01-31-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"What are you waiting for? You want a hug or something? Get the hell out of here."

I love coach. What a great character.
Old 02-01-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mrs. Coach was looking especially tasty tonight. I laughed my ass off when Coach got pissed at Smash at practice for back talking and out of nowhere uses his real name in a condescending as hell way. "Get your ass down there, Brian, and do 10 suicides!"

On another forum, I saw someone mention something that was shown in the preview for next week. Only thing is, there was no preview for next week here. Did anyone see next week's previews?
Old 02-01-07, 12:53 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I saw the preview
Old 02-01-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wasn't it 20 suicides?
Old 02-01-07, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure, Patman. I know he said 10 to start out, but very well could have upped it after Brian sassed him.
Old 02-01-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
The little conversation between Street and coach at the courthouse with them sharing a laugh about Buddy's reaction to the marriage proposal was a nice touch.
That was great. Not to mention Tyra telling Julie that Buddy was her sister's best customer at the strip club.

Coach and Smash hanging out watching the kids play was well done. The young kid who ran over to Coach to tell him to be ready for 2014 was funny.
Old 02-01-07, 08:55 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
^ that was a great scene with Coach and Smash playing football with the neighborhood kids. I'm still amazed at how this show can continually take nondescript scenes and make them memorable.
Old 02-01-07, 12:30 PM

great episode.

there was a preview. it doesn't actually say what happens, but it seems to me the assistant coach says something racial to the media. there were clips of coach taylor telling the asst coach in private that he needs to make an apology. then there was a scene with smash leading the black players and walking off the field during a practice.

sorry...didn't know how to tag spoilers...so i changed the font to white.

sorry about that.

Last edited by JediMindTricks; 02-01-07 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-01-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jedi.. you may want to put that in spoiler tags... some don't watch previews because they don't want to be spoiled.
Old 02-01-07, 02:45 PM

I liked the Buddy/Street confrontation at the begining. Usually - you don't see the kid bring it to the girlfriend's dad that way.... "Your acting like a child."
Old 02-02-07, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
i just can't heap enough praise on this show... just great all around. easily my favorite new show of the season (over heroes, studio 60, and 30 rock).