Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Girl Group Love!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girl Group Love!

Anyone else absolutely adore the "girl groups" from the 60's? The Pipettes have kind of brought it back with a modern twist, which is fun. But you'll never be able to top The Supremes, The Ronettes, The Paris Sisters, The Dixie Cups, Darlene Love... I could go on forever. I drove myself crazy looking for the "A Gift For You From Phil Spector" (no jokes please) Xmas album in December but having no luck, settled on Aretha Franklin's Christmas album.

So anyone else love these fun, pure music? Favorite groups/singers/albums? Recommendations for not-as-popular groups that I should keep my eyes open for? At this record store I frequent they have the Girl Group Sounds box set (in a hat box! genius!) that I'm dying for but can't swing the $65 for, pretty tragic.
Old 01-30-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That box set is fantastic (and having just checked Amazon, can be had for about $43). Also, I highly recommend Lesley Gore. I have her 5-disc box and you'd be surprised how much of it is worthwhile. It's kinda expensive though, so you might be better off with her 2-disc set from Mercury. But I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 01-31-07, 12:48 AM

You might want to check out the Sugababes and Girls Aloud. The first being my personal favorite, they mix a lot of different genres. Their signature hit is a mashup of Adina Howard's Freak Like Me with the music of Gary Numan's Are Friends Electric?.

Check out:
Overload (with original member Siobhan Donaghy)
Freak Like Me
Round Round
Hole In The Head
Caught In A Moment
Push The Button
Follow Me Home
Easy

Girls Aloud came out of the UK's second Popstars competition but are great nonetheless. They work only with a group of producers called Xenomania and their sound is electronic with a bit of guitar.

Check out:
Sound Of The Underground
No Good Advice (clearly ripping off My Sharona)
The Show
Love Machine
Biology
Whole Lotta History
Something Kinda Ooh

You may also like All Saints (do you remember a song called Never Ever?). They have a more r&b (good kind not the crap from today) sound. They have re-grouped and came out with a new album which is sadly flopping in the UK.

Check out:
Never Ever
Pure Shores
Black Coffee
War Of Nerves
Rock Steady
Chick Fit (weird M.I.A. type of song)
Old 01-31-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love the girl group sound. I picked up a compilation of UK girl groups before Tower went out of business. I can't remember the name of it at the moment but it's cool. The compilation even includes Twiggy!
Old 01-31-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
You must get the Phil Spector box set called 'Back To Mono'. It's got three CDs of all the classic girl groups, plus 'A Christmas Gift For You' is included. Best of all, the price on it has dropped dramatically, and the 4-CD box set is only $16.99 on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Mono-1958...e=UTF8&s=music
Old 01-31-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
You must get the Phil Spector box set called 'Back To Mono'..... Best of all, the price on it has dropped dramatically, and the 4-CD box set is only $16.99 on Amazon!
Gee, I wonder what prompted the price drop?

Old 02-01-07, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally misleading thread title.