Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Recommend me some DS games

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recommend me some DS games

I'm hoping to finally pick up a DS sometime around June (when my school year is over) but until then i'm borrowing one from a friend and am looking to pick up a cheap game or two to tide me over.

I normally play the DS at night before going to bed in the dark. When my wife is asleep it bothers her if i have a light on to read but for some reason the DS doesn't bother her as long as the sound is off.

So i'm looking for games that i can play in chunks and save and turn off when i want (in other words i want a save anytime not a checkpoint save feature) as well as something where the sound isn't vital to actually playing the game.

The last game i played on the GBA SP was Golden Sun and Dodgeball so pretty much everything will be new to me. Hotel Dusk is the game that is fascinating me right now as well as Warioware but i need some other titles. Especially if they are things i can snag used for a good price.

Edit: something that uses the stylus some would be cool as well. I borrowed Mario Kart from the friend and while fun makes my hands feel like they are contorted into horrible claws after about 15 minutes.
Old 01-30-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Super Mario Brothers
Advance Wars
Animal Crossing
Pheonix Wright
Contact
Clubhouse Games
Old 01-30-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kakihara1
New Super Mario Brothers
Advance Wars
Animal Crossing
Pheonix Wright
Contact
Clubhouse Games
Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center are two games that look awesome but aren't they getting Wii counterparts?

Advance Wars is another i'm really interested in. Is it good? Should i get #1 or #2?
Old 01-30-07, 08:24 AM

Trauma Center
Castlevania : aria of sorrow, and portrait of ruin
Advanced Wars DS
Club House Games
Old 01-30-07, 08:25 AM

1 and 2 are almost identical to the DS version. The DS version does add a little with airplanes, and using the second screen, but its still the same game.
Old 01-30-07, 08:27 AM

I got Brain Age for several family members and they've all really enjoyed it (you're wife might even like it). Another hit was Tetris - good transition on the DS w/ the classic game and some other neat variations.
Old 01-30-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

as far as saving goes, most DS games seem to go into sort of a sleep mode when you close the cover...so it shouldn't matter much where you save.

My faves thus far have been the 2D platformers (New Super Mario Bros, Yoshi's Island 2, Super Princess Peach, Kirby Squeak Squad), the two Castlevanias, not to mention the GBA ones, any Advance Wars, and Clubhouse Games has gotten an absurd amount of play on mine.

...also several good puzzle games (Tetris, Meteos, Magnetica, etc)
Old 01-30-07, 08:37 AM

I was a huge fan of Meteos as well

tetris was fun, but it didn't seem to gain any benefits from being on the DS.
Old 01-30-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are there any good CCG style games? For instance one of my favorite games from the original Xbox was Phantom Dust.
Old 01-30-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by chess

...also several good puzzle games (Tetris, Meteos, Magnetica, etc)
I think Meteos & Magnetica have gotten the most play on my system.

My faves(no order)

Meteos
Magnetica
Clubhouse Games
New Super Mario Bros.
Tetris

As for GBA games go:
Drill Dozer - great game, but it rumbles and makes sound
Old 01-30-07, 09:04 AM

collectible card games?

Well, Yu-Gi-Oh is actually a lot of fun (GBA versions basically the same as the DS version)

They have a DBZ CCG on GBA as well.

Actually, if you like RPGs and CCGs, I would HIGHLY recommend the Megaman Battle Network series. It combines classic megaman elements, with an RPG, and uses "chips" in the same way a CCG game is played (You basically make a deck of chips, which are randomly given to you during a battle, which are used as the power ups)

Sounds a bit confusing, but again, if you like RPGs, CCGs, and classic megaman, its amazing.
Old 01-30-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well i should say i enjoy the mechanics of deck battling more than the CCG element - being as i'm not a 12 year old any more

Phantom Dust on the xbox had these "spells" you collected and you chose which ones and (offense, defense, trickery, healing, etc.) to put in a deck you then took into battle. Then you fought the computer or on Live with your particular built deck to gain new spells to improve your decks. Those mechanics are really fun imo.

Several people have mentioned Clubhouse Games, i'll have to wikipedia it and see what that is.
Old 01-30-07, 09:40 AM

well, thats precisely what MM battle network is....

its like the classic megamen, where you would kill a boss, and get an ability, except in the battlenetwork, you get a "Chip" to add to your "deck". Same thing

Also, making fun of Yu-Gi-Oh, and calling it a "12 year old game", doesn't acurately reflect the amount of strategy that goes into playing the game, or making a deck in the first place. Its the popularity of the TV that gave it such a stigma.

Not that I play the real card game, but if you were to go to a sanctioned tournament, its pretty evident its not for little kids....at all

Club House Games is a collection of 40 some games, ranging from card games (old maid, rummy, texas hold em) to action games (darts, bowling) to board games (parcheesi) to other, familiar games (battle ship)

Last edited by KurrptSenate; 01-30-07 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-30-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
Not that I play the real card game, but if you were to go to a sanctioned tournament, its pretty evident its not for little kids....at all

Yeah, xmiyux, it's not for little kids...It's for nerds!
Old 01-30-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
Club House Games is a collection of 40 some games, ranging from card games (old maid, rummy, texas hold em) to action games (darts, bowling) to board games (parcheesi) to other, familiar games (battle ship)
Ludo isn't the same as Parcheesi. Ludo is very dumbed-down, has a lot fewer moves available, and pretty much ends up being incredibly tedious.
Old 01-30-07, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DamingR
Yeah, xmiyux, it's not for little kids...It's for nerds!

yea, its definitely not for morons, so move along
Old 01-30-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heh, never in my life have i denied the nerd label. Just like MC Frontalot, yo.
Old 01-30-07, 12:25 PM
Retired

My favorites in order:

New Super Mario Bros
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Mario Kart DS
Meteos
Super Princess Peach
Kirby Canvas Curse
Brain Age
Warioware Touched!
Phoenix Wright
Yoshi's Island DS
Old 02-04-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Many people have mentioned Meteos in this thread. I was at Toys R Us today and they have Meteos priced at only $7.50. I just got this in a trade or I would have jumped all over it.
Old 02-04-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Many people have mentioned Meteos in this thread. I was at Toys R Us today and they have Meteos priced at only $7.50. I just got this in a trade or I would have jumped all over it.
I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

I ended up snagging XX/XY for 5$ (i wanted something with mini-games) as well as Trace Memory for 10$. So far Trace has been really interesting.
Old 02-04-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Magnetica is too much of the same thing over and over again.

-NiCK
Old 02-04-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
I ended up snagging XX/XY for 5$ (i wanted something with mini-games) as well as Trace Memory for 10$. So far Trace has been really interesting.
Trace Memory is excellent for the 5-6 hours it lasts.

My favorite DS games are New Super Mario Bros, the Castlevania games, Hotel Dusk and the Phoenix Wright games. I recommend those to everyone even if they don't ask.
Old 02-04-07, 09:33 PM

Twenty replies and nobody said Elite Beat Agents?!?

That borders on shameful.
Old 02-04-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
I tried Trace Memory and it was too much of read, push a button, read, move to next question, read, push a button, read, etc. I just can't take games like that. I guess it is considered an "adventure" game but I have never been a fan of that kind of game-play.

As far as Elite Beat Agents...any game that you have to press buttons to a beat of a song, I personally despise. How these "dance/beat/press buttons-in-a-certain-rhythm(that includes Guitar Hero)" games became popular, I will never understand.

My personal favorite Ds games: Brain Age, Magnetica, Super Mario Bros. and Metroid Pinball (the best hand-held pinball game I have ever played).
Old 02-05-07, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
Trace Memory is excellent for the 5-6 hours it lasts.

My favorite DS games are New Super Mario Bros, the Castlevania games, Hotel Dusk and the Phoenix Wright games. I recommend those to everyone even if they don't ask.
Hotel Dusk is the main game i want to pick when i pick up my own DS. Trace Memory looked like it would be in a similar vein - i really wanted an adventure game that told a good story so Trace hopefully will work out well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.