Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna gets remastered in 5.1!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warner Music Canada made an exciting announcement at their exclusive theatrical screening of Madonna's Confessions Tour DVD in Toronto tonight!

Warner reps announced that they are in the process of remastering and re-releasing Madonna's entire CD catalogue in 5.1 digital audio!

No date is set yet for these releases, but stay tuned to Madonnatribe.com for more info!
Any ideas what format this would get released on???
Old 01-30-07, 02:08 AM

Hopefully DualDisc.
Old 01-30-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
The R.E.M. remasters were put out by Warner and they included a seperate CD and DVD-Audio. I would hope these would be the same, but I wouldn't be surprised by Dualdiscs.

Although, now that I think about it, the three 5.1 Flaming Lips releases were all put out by Warner Brothers and they were also 1 CD + 1 DVD-A. That's my preference, followed by hybrid SACD, but I don't think the latter is even an option with Warner.
Old 01-30-07, 08:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I hope they don't release them all at once, like the Bjork and Talking Heads box sets.
Old 01-30-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Yeah, no kidding. I'd like to get a few, but I couldn't afford to pick up every Madonna album at once. I had the same problem with the Doors box. $120 for six albums is a bit steep for me.
Old 01-30-07, 09:02 AM
Banned

This was rumored so long ago, it's not even funny. I'd say at least 5 years ago.

I'll be surprised if it comes to fruition. They better start including b-sides and unreleased tracks.

if they include some already available remixes, I'm going to be pissed.

I've never bought at 5.1 music release. I'm very intrigued.
Old 01-30-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If done right CD mixed in 5.1 can be an incredible listening experience with a good speaker set up.

I'd love to hear her current CD in 5.1
Old 01-30-07, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by woofman

I'd love to hear her current CD in 5.1
'Hung Up' in 5.1 would be great
also
'Paradise (Not For Me)' (from 'Music)
Old 01-30-07, 12:00 PM
Banned

Huh.

Good to know someone actually likes that song.
Old 01-30-07, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Huh.

Good to know someone actually likes that song.
shocking aint' it, I know that there is a large Madonna fanbase, who didn't care for her collaboration with Mirwais, but hey, I liked it...
Old 01-30-07, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
shocking aint' it, I know that there is a large Madonna fanbase, who didn't care for her collaboration with Mirwais, but hey, I liked it...
Actually, i did like it in confessions EXCEPT FOR THAT FUCKING VOCODER. Sorry but she sounded like an idiot. I would cover my ears every time she did it. I actually liked it slowed down...and don't really have anything against the song.

The funny thing is that I am definitely NOT a fan of Mirwais but Future Lovers is one of my favorite (if not THE favorite) song on the album.
Old 01-30-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a grand day for the "men"
Old 01-30-07, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
This is a grand day for the "men"
and by "men" you mean "ladies?"
Old 01-30-07, 01:44 PM

Can someone please explain what this exactly means before I actually order the cd/dvd from Amazon? Does this 5.1 format play on regular players? Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-30-07, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by spammied
Can someone please explain what this exactly means before I actually order the cd/dvd from Amazon? Does this 5.1 format play on regular players? Thanks for the help!!
yeah, you need a DVD player that decodes either Dolby Digital and for this release DTS and a receiver hooked up with 6 speakers (one of those being a subwoofer).
Old 01-30-07, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by spammied
Will my DVD player play DTS DVD titles?
All DTS DVDs play in 2-channel (stereo) on all DVD players within the respective DVD regions. To experience 5.1-channel DTS Digital Surround, you need a DVD player with the DTS "Digital Out" logo, plus a surround processor (pre-amp or receiver) with a built-in DTS decoding circuit.

I have a DVD player capable of 5.1 but don't have the speaker setup to run it, so the good old 2 channel stereo will have to do, which for me is good enough. Can't wait to get my order for this from Amazon. After watching this concert on NBC, it reawakened my interest in Madonna so I went out and got Ciao Italia (Live from Italy) and also her first concert.
Old 01-30-07, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by monkyskunk
Will my DVD player play DTS DVD titles?
All DTS DVDs play in 2-channel (stereo) on all DVD players within the respective DVD regions. To experience 5.1-channel DTS Digital Surround, you need a DVD player with the DTS "Digital Out" logo, plus a surround processor (pre-amp or receiver) with a built-in DTS decoding circuit.

I have a DVD player capable of 5.1 but don't have the speaker setup to run it, so the good old 2 channel stereo will have to do, which for me is good enough. Can't wait to get my order for this from Amazon. After watching this concert on NBC, it reawakened my interest in Madonna so I went out and got Ciao Italia (Live from Italy) and also her first concert.
You got the Virgin Tour on VHS? Cause it ain't available on DVD.
Old 01-30-07, 11:42 PM

You got the Virgin Tour on VHS? Cause it ain't available on DVD.
Yeah, I found that out when I went looking for it on DVD : , The last time I saw it was when I rented it back in '85, so I wanted to check it out again and got it off the internet. They need to make a CD/DVD combo of the Virgin Tour for I would buy it in a heartbeat. I remember copying the audio to cassette so I could play it in my walkman. I really like the earlier concerts because of the rawness of them, especially seeing the beads of sweat on her back in Ciao Italia
Old 01-31-07, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by monkyskunk
Yeah, I found that out when I went looking for it on DVD : , The last time I saw it was when I rented it back in '85, so I wanted to check it out again and got it off the internet. They need to make a CD/DVD combo of the Virgin Tour for I would buy it in a heartbeat. I remember copying the audio to cassette so I could play it in my walkman. I really like the earlier concerts because of the rawness of them, especially seeing the beads of sweat on her back in Ciao Italia
Well...here's some fun facts for ya:

The Virgin Tour has 3 songs cut, the only Madonna concert to be cut on home video release. They were deemed too "racy" and thus, cut. No one knows what happened to them or if the entire concert will ever be seen in it's entirety.

Ciao Italia is actually 2 different concerts from 2 completely different venus at different times of the tour edited together. If you watch closely, her hair (and eyebrows) change pretty dramatically from shot to shot. The other clips were from the Japanese concert (also released on laserdisc and shown on TV).
Old 01-31-07, 12:53 PM

Well...here's some fun facts for ya:

The Virgin Tour has 3 songs cut, the only Madonna concert to be cut on home video release. They were deemed too "racy" and thus, cut. No one knows what happened to them or if the entire concert will ever be seen in it's entirety.

Ciao Italia is actually 2 different concerts from 2 completely different venus at different times of the tour edited together. If you watch closely, her hair (and eyebrows) change pretty dramatically from shot to shot. The other clips were from the Japanese concert (also released on laserdisc and shown on TV).
I learned about that first fun fact just last night while doing a search on the Virgin Tour and it would be awesome if they would release the enitire concert to be able to see those missing songs and since they are going back and remastering(5.1) and re-releasing her entire CD collection I think they should do the same for the Virgin Tour concert.

As for the second one, they had me fooled. : I never would have known that. I am going to have to go back and look for those changes.
Old 01-31-07, 12:55 PM
Banned

While they're at it, they need a COMPLETE video collection. The two that are out right now are piss poor.
Old 01-31-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Speaking of SACD, I've heard that the only future SACD releases will be Classical and Jazz. Pop and Rock labels have abandoned the format.
Old 01-31-07, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
Speaking of SACD, I've heard that the only future SACD releases will be Classical and Jazz. Pop and Rock labels have abandoned the format.
the occasional pop/rock titles 'pop' up in the UK randomly.
Old 01-31-07, 05:40 PM

While they're at it, they need a COMPLETE video collection. The two that are out right now are piss poor.
Old 04-01-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anything new mentioned about this? About two years ago, I sold off my entire collection and went digital, and I would like to repurchase a lot of her albums, but... if there's a CD/DVD-A version of Like A Prayer or Music or whatever coming out in six months, don't want to buy the originals now, especially since the sound quality on LAP is dire and in need of remastering