Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else looking forward to The Tudors on Showtime? (merged)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone else looking forward to The Tudors on Showtime? (merged)

Old 01-26-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else looking forward to The Tudors on Showtime?

Looks like it's going to have lots of sex and violence. Who doesn't like that combo? I can only hope it's up to the quality of a show like Rome. I also think that slowly but surely with shows like Dexter, Weeds, and The Tudors and with HBO losing The Sopranos, Rome, and Deadwood, that Showtime is becoming what HBO used to be. They need to come up with a night to make their own like HBO did with Sundays.

http://www.sho.com/site/tudors/home....rce=shocom_nav

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 01-26-07 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
I'm planning on giving the show at least a trial run. I have no doubt that it will look great in HD, and having just recently bought a new TV, I'm seeking out HD programming wherever I can. But I also agree with you about the emergence of Showtime. The network has really made a lot of strides in the last few years. I don't think the gap between HBO and Showtime has ever been smaller. But despite that, it still seems like there aren't a whole lot of Showtime subscribers out there. What are you guys waiting for?
Old 03-10-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 332 Likes on 217 Posts
I'm really hoping this is good, and agree about Showtime catching up with HBO. I just switched to Comcast and have both HBO and Showtime for the first month, but I will be dropping one. A few years ago, it would have been a no brainer, but I really, really liked Dexter and this looks like it might be excellent also. My HBO shows were Deadwood, Six Feet Under, and Carnivale, and to a lesser extent Rome, but they're all pretty much over. I'm thinking it will be Showtime until/unless HBO comes up with some new good dramas.
Old 03-10-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
With Rome and The Sopranos ending soon - and since I always pick up Curb Your Enthusiasm seasons on DVD anyway - in the near future I'll have no reason to keep paying for HBO anymore. If they ever actually follow through with the Pacific Theater version of Band of Brothers I might come back.
Old 03-12-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good.
Old 03-12-07, 09:11 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I definitely plan on tuning in, though am cautiously optimistic.
Old 03-12-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
Looks like a re-working of A Man For All Seasons. Sounds good, but I'm not getting Showtime for 1 show, so I'll wait for DVDs.
Old 03-12-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
The more I see their promos during regular programming the less I want to watch it.
Old 03-21-07, 06:21 PM

The first two episodes are already on demand for anyone who's interested.
Old 03-21-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Super J
The first two episodes are already on demand for anyone who's interested.
Here in NYC, Time Warner cable has a "free movies on demand" channel, and currently the first two episodes are being offered - which means you do not need to be a Showtime subscriber to check these out. (I'll be taking a look in the next week or so.)
Old 03-21-07, 06:49 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was also on DirecTV channel 95 last night (in HD). The first 2 eps. Not sure if they're airing again.
Old 03-21-07, 08:22 PM

I found this on Imdb posted by a dude named bwmercer

"On March 19 -- two weeks before the show’s April 1 premiere on the network -- the two Tudors episodes will be available via free VOD on Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Cablevision Systems, Mediacom Communications, Atlantic Broadband, Bright House Networks, RCN and other operators.

At the same time, Internet users will be able to watch them via streaming video at Amazon.com’s Internet Movie Database -- the first time that site has ever streamed a full-length episode of a TV show -- as well as Netflix’s Watch Now, Yahoo, Microsoft’s MSN, CBS’ Innertube, Brightcove, CNET Networks’ TV.com and MeeVee.com."

I watched the first one on Brightcove. Its pretty damn good.
Old 03-21-07, 08:35 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first two episodes are online:

http://www.sho.com/site/vip/home.do
Code: "King"

Also the Tudors Royal Treatment Sweepstakes if your interested...

http://www.sho.com/site/promotions/t...shomepagepromo
Old 03-22-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Can we have a DVR alert?

When does it start?
Old 03-22-07, 12:28 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Tudors start April 1st
Old 03-22-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll watch Jonathan Rhys Meyers in anything. I'll have to wait for the DVD, though.
Old 03-22-07, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
Here in NYC, Time Warner cable has a "free movies on demand" channel, and currently the first two episodes are being offered - which means you do not need to be a Showtime subscriber to check these out. (I'll be taking a look in the next week or so.)
I flipped through my channels to see if I had "free movies on demand". I found it and started playing the Tudors. I didn't feel like switching back to Showtime. Just so everyone knows it is censored on that channel. They blurred out the boobies that are shown like 5-10 minutes into teh show. I ended up switching back to Showtime on demand because I didn't know what else might end up being censored.
Old 03-30-07, 09:52 PM

I got the preview disk from Blockbuster and the third episode is hot. There was also a preview of scenes from the fourth on the showtime site in their madlib game and i think we will start seeing some kikn violence midseason. I also noticed they are going to be replaying the Dexter series during the Tudor run. I am so glad i got Showtime!
Old 03-31-07, 01:06 AM

I am one looking forward to this too only HD for me though, no SD so I am going to wait untill tomorrow. Good news about Dexter gonna have to set that one up on the DVR as well
Old 04-02-07, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I watched Episode 1 tonight and thought it was pretty good but not great. Certainly good enough to keep me watching, though, and between Cardinal Wolsey and Thomas More and Buckingham and Henry's many wives, there's more than enough intrigue and excitement for a series.
Old 04-02-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was about ready to give up about 30 minutes in, but something kept me going. It was entertaining, but far from great. I'll give it a few more weeks.
Old 04-02-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I think this series' biggest problem is going to be people's lack of history knowledge. As I watched, I was thinking that if you didn't know the history from that era, you'd be really really lost.
Old 04-02-07, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I think this series' biggest problem is going to be people's lack of history knowledge. As I watched, I was thinking that if you didn't know the history from that era, you'd be really really lost.
What exactly would you have to know? I think they set it up pretty well for the layman.
Old 04-02-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by manicmyk
What exactly would you have to know? I think they set it up pretty well for the layman.
More like,

The story isnt really history driven...all you need to know is that Buckingham thinks he should be king, and we should all hate France...now lets see some TITS!!!!

But yes, I do plan on going to Wiki and figuring out the whole Tudor vs. Buckingham thing. Most people wont, however.
Old 04-02-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to watch it last night, but I had problem with my DISH network. Some channels came up error (including HBO, HBOP, SHOW, SHOWP, Discovery Channel, etc...) GRR..

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.