Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King "endings" - good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stephen King "endings" - good or bad?

I've been reading Stephen King since I was 15 (I'm 37 now), and one of the greatest things about his stories was how he ended them. The majority of his endings left me numb with emotion, and I would usually find myself re-reading the last paragraph to let it sink in.

One great example was It -
...Or so Bill Denbrough sometimes thinks on those early mornings after dreaming, when he almost remembers his childhood, and the friends with whom he shared it.

and Gerald's Game -
...For the first time in months her dreams were not unpleasant, and a tiny cat's smile curled the corners of her mouth. When a cold February wind blew beneath the eaves and moaned in the chimney, she burrowed deeper beneath the comforters...but that small, wise smile did not fade.
Old 01-22-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you that he usually makes a point of ending with a well-written paragraph or sentence.

What he's not so consistently good at is the plotting leading up to that final paragraph (and what I thought this thread was going to be about). For example "It":
Spoiler:
all that build up and atmosphere, culminating in the gang-bang of a young girl and a joke-telling contest with an alien spider
. And "The Stand":
Spoiler:
the ultimate "deus ex machina" ... the Hand of God literally comes down from the sky and smites Randall Flagg (though with a bit of an assist from a rogue nuke)
Other King novels have similar problems, a gigantic build-up to endings that don't measure up to what came before. I'm not saying he always does this: "Carrie", "The Shining", and "Salem's Lot" (just off the top of my head) were endings that I found satisfying. But it happens enough for me to be wary of it, and approach the ending of any of his books with a bit of trepidation.
Old 01-22-07, 09:47 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Bring on the haters but, IMO, the ending of the DARK TOWER series, specifically Roland's final chapter, was sheer perfection.
Old 01-23-07, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me it's not the final paragraph or final sentence as to how King ends his work (these are usually really good) but it's the final 100 pages or so. It seems like he puts so much work into the beginning and middle that his endings seem tied up too easily or abrupt. He makes easy work of his villains is a better way of putting it.
Old 01-23-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Bring on the haters but, IMO, the ending of the DARK TOWER series, specifically Roland's final chapter, was sheer perfection.
Haven't read this one yet ... I've heard people take both sides (yours and "it sucked"). At some point I'll need to go through the whole series again, since I bailed on the series after the 6-year cliffhanger to find out
Spoiler:
how the gang escaped the crazed Blaine the Mono.
At that point I told myself I'm waiting until its done. It's just a matter of time before I pick up all the remaining books in the series and dive back in.
Old 01-23-07, 01:09 PM

I finished the DT series just a week ago and I do have to say that the last three books are all great. And the ending was divine.
Old 01-23-07, 01:16 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by ceeece
For me it's not the final paragraph or final sentence as to how King ends his work (these are usually really good) but it's the final 100 pages or so. It seems like he puts so much work into the beginning and middle that his endings seem tied up too easily or abrupt. He makes easy work of his villains is a better way of putting it.
Very, very true. Hell, look no further than Walter's sorry fate in the DT series; a sullied mark on an otherwise superb series.
Old 01-23-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very, very true. Hell, look no further than Walter's sorry fate in the DT series; a sullied mark on an otherwise superb series.
That was the ONLY thing I didn't like about the final DT book. I will admit I didn't quite like the ending when I first read it, but when I started to think about it I felt that it made the most sense. Now I absolutely adore the ending of DT7 and consider it one of his most creative, if not his best.
Old 01-23-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, I find Walter's end perfect, as well as the Dark Tower's.
Old 01-24-07, 07:16 AM
Banned

Walter and Roland's conflict and chase stretched for centuries--Roland (and the readers) deserved to see Walter taken down with one (or more) of the gunslinger's bullets, not taken out with a) Roland not even in attendance and b) by a character only a chapter or two old.
Old 01-24-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Total agreement. I will also add that I really didn't like the change in tone the books had after his accident and I was really let down by book 5 and 6. However, I thought 7 was great and I loved the way it ended. It made sense, but still left hope.

Now The Colorado Kid is another matter. That book was pure and simple King being Lazy. It looks like he just wrote until he reached the required number of pages and then stopped. He then had the audicity to write an epilogue blaming all his readers for not understanding his writting genius. That shows that he knew the ending was bullshit before he even published the book.

Last edited by darkside; 01-24-07 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-24-07, 12:58 PM

Gave up reading this guy long ago.

King's beginnings : Decent
Middles: Okay to middling to BORING
Endings: EL SUCKO
Old 01-25-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the way that Walter went out but it didn't upset me that much.

Spoiler:
The bad guys were all wrapped up a little too neatly. I thought the Crimson King's demise could have been handled better too. The kid from Insomnia just felt like an interloper to me. The ending itself though was sheer brilliance. "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" is my favorite line of a novel ever. To close it that way was elegance and perfection.
Old 01-25-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never noticed the endings of the books of his I've read being particularly bad, so it must not have been a problem for me.

My main complaint with King's body of work is that his books tend to be a little bloated and would benefit from some judicious paring down. But I find that to be true of many books.