Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

did author ALEX GARLAND become rich from writing "The Beach?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did author ALEX GARLAND become rich from writing "The Beach?"

And I mean before it was picked up to become a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio in 2000.

The book was published in 1997 - while I don't think it lit the world on fire (I don't know if it became a #1 Bestseller), did it catapult Mr. Garland's lifestyle? Did it make him independently wealthy enough to quit his day job and allow him to write full-time?

I'm sure that once the publishing rights for the movie came about, it definitely secured his life - but if the book had never been picked up to become a movie, would it have made a big difference in his life?
Old 01-23-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most authors don't make enough from most books to radically change their lifestyles or even quit their day jobs. The typical advance for a first novel is between $5k and $10k.

I don't know anything about the sales for this book. But I don't think it was a bestseller.
Old 01-23-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I highly doubt it. Were you thinking of asking him for a loan?
Old 01-24-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by djmont
Most authors don't make enough from most books to radically change their lifestyles or even quit their day jobs. The typical advance for a first novel is between $5k and $10k.

I don't know anything about the sales for this book. But I don't think it was a bestseller.
Every now and then there's a first-time author who gets a six or seven figure advance, though I suspect they do so through connections in the industry.

I have no clue if Garland might've been one of those, though.
Old 01-24-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Beach was a fantastic read, but I doubt he was able to quit his day job. Of course, I don't know what his day job was.
Old 01-24-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just wonder how lucrative it would be to be an author. I mean, not everybody can be Stephen King and come out with one great book after another. Sometimes, all you have in you is To Kill A Mockingbird or Gone With The Wind. If your first and only book does not make you independently wealthy, you have to really hope that your book gets picked up for a movie.
Old 01-24-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know quite a few authors who make a good living from writing and are able to support themselves in a comfortable way. (And I know some who make a fortune.) But they're the exception.
Old 01-24-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Technically it did. Because of the book he became associated with Danny Boyle (director of the film version of the beach). After this he wrote several screenplays including: 28 Days Later,28 Weeks Later, Halo & Sunshine.