Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Remaining dead consoles, which new console should they go to?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are still a handful of systems out there that don't have their back catalog available on one of the three current gen systems. I'm thinking of things like the three main Atari consoles, the 3DO, the NEO-GEO, etc. Think they'll end up anywhere?

I know I sound like a sadist when I say this, but if there was some kind of compilation disc of, say, Digital Pictures' FMV games (Night Trap, etc), I'd go in for it.

Think we'll see Master System games on the Virtual Console? How about old Game Boy and Game Boy Color games?

How about the 3DO? I'd love to download Return Fire on the 360 or the Wii.
Old 01-22-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know return fire came out for PS1, so maybe Sony still has some rights there. I don't think the demand for old GB or GBC games are there right now
Old 01-22-07, 01:34 PM
Suspended

I bet some of the old GB/GBC games would draw attention. The Zeldas, Marios, there was a Kid Icarus sequel I believe...
Old 01-22-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

well, all the marios have been re-released, except for Mario Land, which is still pretty cool.

I'm sure they could catch peoples' interest with the GBC zelda, where you get instruments, but the demand for that isn't anywhere near what the SNES Link to the Past is/was

I may have to check out that Kid Icarus sequel you were talking about
Old 01-22-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters was released for the Game Boy in 1991. The game was pretty much like the original. There was a new ability that let you float as you fell. Kinda like how you floated in Super Mario World with the cape, except I think you had to tap the button instead of hold like in SMW.
Old 01-22-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GameTap does have some of the NeoGeo catalog and I could definitely see parts of it coming to next gen systems at some point like the current Metal Slug Anthology disc for the Wii. Doubt the 3DO stuff every sees the light of day again. Return Fire had a few years of life after the 3DO, but hasn't been revived since.
Old 01-22-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm interested in some Saturn ports, like the Panzer Dragoon and Shining Force series... Heck, while we're at it... Winter Heat and Decathlete (I LOVED those games, especially multiplayer using 2 gametaps, or whatever they were called).
Old 01-22-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bring on Sewer Shark!!!

I have great memories of that game for some insane reason.

Turn and burn, Dogmeat!

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search
Old 01-22-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretty sure that Fatal Fury is coming to Xbox Live Arcade.
Old 01-22-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
There are still a handful of systems out there that don't have their back catalog available on one of the three current gen systems. I'm thinking of things like the three main Atari consoles, the 3DO, the NEO-GEO, etc. Think they'll end up anywhere?

I know I sound like a sadist when I say this, but if there was some kind of compilation disc of, say, Digital Pictures' FMV games (Night Trap, etc), I'd go in for it.

Think we'll see Master System games on the Virtual Console? How about old Game Boy and Game Boy Color games?

How about the 3DO? I'd love to download Return Fire on the 360 or the Wii.
I'd love to see the full catalog of Digital Pictures' FMV games released!!! I have a Sega Genesis/32X/CD combo to play those games, but I want them released for the Wii and/or 360.
Old 01-22-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
well, all the marios have been re-released, except for Mario Land, which is still pretty cool.

I'm sure they could catch peoples' interest with the GBC zelda, where you get instruments, but the demand for that isn't anywhere near what the SNES Link to the Past is/was

I may have to check out that Kid Icarus sequel you were talking about

No they haven't. None of the GB stuff has been rereleased. Only Zelda Link's Awakening saw a rerelease to take advantage of the Game Boy Color.
Old 01-23-07, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Bring on Sewer Shark!!!

I have great memories of that game for some insane reason.

Turn and burn, Dogmeat!

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search
Sector 19 is a sewer jockey's graveyard!

12, 3, 12!

Wow! I have not thought about that games in years.
Old 01-23-07, 11:14 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
The 3DO also featured a fairly compete catalog of American Laser Games arcade conversions, such as Mad Dog McCree (1 & 2), Crime Patrol (1 & 2), Space Pirate, Last Bounty Hunter, and Who Shot Johnny Rock.

These are the laserdisc based games in the arcade, but the CD-ROM version were pretty playable. I can imagine that DVD versions could be much better.

Another title that was innovative at the time for the 3DO was Twisted (and to a lesser extent it's sequel Zhadnost). A crazy game show with live action characters that hopped around the game board as you played mini-games.
Old 01-23-07, 11:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by shumway
I'm interested in some Saturn ports, like the Panzer Dragoon and Shining Force series... Heck, while we're at it... Winter Heat and Decathlete (I LOVED those games, especially multiplayer using 2 gametaps, or whatever they were called).
Dragon Force...
Old 01-23-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Dragon Force...
I never tried that one, but, really wanted to give it a shot. I think it was in last months EGM where they mentioned that 10 years ago, it was 'game of the month' haha.
Old 01-23-07, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by shumway
If you are an importing kind of guy/gal, Sega released Sega Ages 2500 collections for Panzer Dragoon, Decathlete and Dragon Force in Japan for the PS2.
Old 01-23-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hmm, I'm not, but my brother does have a modded PS2, may have to talk to him about that, thanks for the tip!
Old 01-24-07, 07:38 AM

I'd like to see the old Working Designs Sega CD masterpiece, Vay.

I'd also like to see the ORIGINAL Aliens Vs. Predator game from 3DO.

SNATCHER ON SEGA CD AMIRITE?
Old 01-24-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oh, you're right. My youngest brother still has our copy of Vay and Snatcher on Sega CD. I always wanted to try Policenauts also.
Old 01-24-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know if I still have my NES around (I believe I do) and don't know if I still have the original TMNT game. I never did beat it when I was little and would love to try it now.

Whatever system features a ton of Neo-Geo (AES or MVS) games, I will buy. Since I already have the 360 and the Wii, I'm waiting for you, Sony. Spending $600 on a dedicated "real" (unpirated) Neo-Geo emulator is actually cheaper than buying all the games.

What I'd give to play the Last Blade series in HD.
Old 01-24-07, 12:48 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by straydog1980
I'd also like to see the ORIGINAL Aliens Vs. Predator game from 3DO.
I assume you mean the Atari Jaguar. That was a great game at the time, playing as either the Alien, Predator or a soldier. Framerate was pretty horrific itself, maybe 1 frame per second when turning around.
Old 01-24-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
I assume you mean the Atari Jaguar. That was a great game at the time, playing as either the Alien, Predator or a soldier. Framerate was pretty horrific itself, maybe 1 frame per second when turning around.

I remember contemplating if I should buy the Jaguar or 3D0 when they were released. AvP and Tempest were like the only games I wanted on the Jag so I went for the 3D0 instead.

I'm glad someone brought up Twisted as I loved that game, though I had completely forgotten about it! I also can never forget that gem of an adult title I had for the 3D0 titled "Plumbers don't Wear Ties".
Old 01-24-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I don't know if I still have my NES around (I believe I do) and don't know if I still have the original TMNT game. I never did beat it when I was little and would love to try it now.
If Beau Bridges can get past Mecha-Turtle in one night with no other video game experience, you should be able to do very well at this point in your life.
Old 01-24-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HAHAHAHA, The Wizard!!! That was one tough mofo of a game though. I can't recall how far I made it then. That was back when Konami was publishing under Ultra or something similar.
Old 01-24-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Neo Geo should be on top of the list, too many good games to list.

3DO had 5 great games, the rest are pretty much garbage (or done way better in PS1/Saturn days)

SMS should be on VC, Phantasy Star 1 alone makes it worthwhile, along with Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Jaguar, I love this system but again, like 3DO, there are only 5 games that are worth playing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.