Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do you love movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why do you love movies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 11:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Why do you love movies?

I was struck with this question while I was watching of all things "The Girl Next Door". I don't know why, this isn't nearly in a class with "Citizen Kane", but I was watching it just thinking that it really does the job it is supposed to and transport you for a brief time somewhere else. I just smiled through the whole thing because it was done well and made me feel good going through what they were going through on screen.

That is what I think movies do, simply take you to a place you never experienced or never would have imagined you could be.

I mean how much time do we spend with them, thinking and enjoying. The feeling when you see something great and want to share it with someone special or just anyone you think would benefit. The giddiness you feel after something really good or the shock and awe after something really bad. Each one you see does something...what that something is is up to the individual, but something nonetheless.

Whether they are good or bad, they evoke a thing at least that gives you emotion. It is really amazing when you think about them all. You think about what they can do and how they can make your life, at least for a bit, more enjoyable, surreal, depressing, thought-provoking, grotesque, energized, weak...

Wow! plain and simple...wow!

Maybe you feel similar or it may be something just to kill time, but...

Why do you love movies?
Old 01-20-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Escapism.
Old 01-20-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love being on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I can open myself up and totally immerse myself into the story these characters are living. I can laugh, cry, feel tense, be nervous, and go through an entire myriad of emotions during a brief 2 hours of my life. Lately I've found myself tearing up in certain movies. I didn't used to do that I guess now I totally submit myself for 2 hours. It's like an amusement park for my brain. Well, some movies are, most movies, however, give my brain a headache.

Friends try and get me to see every stupid horror movie that comes out every week and I always tell them no, then they are quick to comment on my 1000 plus DVD collection. I simply shake my head. I will admit it to having some low-brow movies but I still discriminate, very strongly in fact. I tell my friends that movies have been around for over 100 years and that there are movies that have been made all around the world in that time frame. How could I possibly own all the good ones?

I love movies so much. It is why I am so passionate about not seeing crappy ones and trying to seek out the best ones from around the world.
Old 01-20-07, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's violence and profanity that appeals to me the most!
Old 01-20-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gratuitous nudity.
Old 01-20-07, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In Almost Famous the character William Miller asks Russell Hammond, "What do you love about music?" and Russell's reply is "To begin with, everything."

That's exactly how I felt about movies.
Old 01-20-07, 04:34 AM

And...

"That's the beauty of music. They can't get that from you... Haven't you ever felt that way about music?"
Old 01-20-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a medium and artform I love to spend time with, even if some of it isn't the best or worthwhile, its that chance to see some amazing that thrills me.

Escapsim too.

Plus, its what I want to do...be in the industry.
Old 01-20-07, 12:11 PM
Banned

First of all the emotion I get from movies is one of the greatest, except for real life relationships of course. Movies can make you feel anything, which is what I love. Total immersion, its great. I also want to be in the industry after college.
Old 01-20-07, 01:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Apone
And...

"That's the beauty of music. They can't get that from you... Haven't you ever felt that way about music?"
Shawshank...
Old 01-20-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
It's a medium and artform I love to spend time with, even if some of it isn't the best or worthwhile, its that chance to see some amazing that thrills me.

Escapsim too.
agreed. love just being able to sit somewhere and enjoy someone else's perspective, thoughts, ideas, and being able to go somewhere for a little while and enjoy myself.
Old 01-20-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going deep here but...

When I was younger and things were difficult at home (as the often were, single mom, alcoholic all that jazz) I would go to the movies and it would take me away for at least 2 hours. Now that I am older, movies still hold that place for me. Sure, its Escapism, but its alot more. Thats why its hard to explain when people come to my house or know me and see all my movies and find out the $$$ spent on my HT and what more I want to add. They dont get it. But for me, its cathartic and one of the pleasures of life for me.
Old 01-20-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love them because you can always have one to go with your mood. If I'm happy, I'll put on a nice comedy. If it's stormy out, I'll put on a horror movie. If I'm pissed off, I'll put on an action movie. If I just want some noise in the background, I'll throw on a TV show. I love it
Old 01-20-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
For me, movies are a way to tune out the real world. I can escape my problems for 90 minutes. It's great.
Old 01-21-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Gives me faith that not everybody's life is as droll and boring as mine.
Old 01-21-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Because I'm a cold person and deeply saddened by my lonliness?