Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Call of Duty 3: Officially worst game ever made

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I love the game, but Treyarch or whatever their name is, they just suck! Here's the deal, when I bought the game, pretty sure the first time I played it a patch was downloaded. Then around Christmas a new patch came out, it made a lot of things better but there are still long waits for ranked matches most of the time, level 0 in trueskill are still playing guys ranked 25+, when you start a match sometimes you fly off into space and so on. So, there is still plenty of patching to be done to the game but they gave us a pretty good free map last week and I am hoping all the other problems get fixed soon.

So the point of this thread, today they released the Valor map pack. I read up on it on IGN and figured, why not. I am sure they will fix the other problems, I will go ahead and spend 800 MS points for the 5 new maps. I download them, and guess what??? No friggin maps listed in COD3. They sold a map pack with no maps in it! What the hell is going on with Microsoft allowing this shit on the 360? Doesn't anyone test this shit? I mean I have spent $70 between the game and maps and they can't even figure out how to install the maps you just bought so you can play them after downloading!
Old 01-18-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sell it before anyone else figures out that the game sucks. Thats what I did.
Old 01-18-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The game doesn't really suck, it's just being made by idiots. I enjoy the game when it works, but I am amazed that with all the problems it still has, that they had the nerve to release a map pack that doesn't work and charge us 800 points for the maps.

I emailed MS complaining about the lack of QC going into the 360 software nowadays.
Old 01-18-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

See this is why reviewing COD3 was so hard for me. While it's a good game it's got so many little things that annoy the hell out of me and if it had been made by Infinity Ward I know they wouldn't be there. It's a good game but something needs to be done to improve its functionality or it will die a quick and painful death online.

Even in the single player game it seems far too broken up to be overly fun. the game seems like a chore to me sometimes. So I agree with s}{ammer, it doesn't suck, it's just made by idiots. It's actually a very good game that has just enough problems to make you hate it sometimes.
Old 01-18-07, 01:24 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Major Nelson posted about the map problem:

Edit: It turns out there is an issue w/ the map pack. The developer is aware and we're all working on it. You can track the progress and updates from the developer here: http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=9720092
Old 01-18-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Even in the single player game it seems far too broken up to be overly fun. the game seems like a chore to me sometimes. So I agree with s}{ammer, it doesn't suck, it's just made by idiots. It's actually a very good game that has just enough problems to make you hate it sometimes.
Someone in the xbox.com forum summed it up as loving your spouse even though they abuse you every chance they get. The online is so fun, but such a chore to get into, and I mean they can't even release a map pack right. I really like playing the classes, like War, and I even have 2000+ kills in ranked now. I really love the game, but the little problems it has are all from the developer and they just suck. Kind of reminds me of that old movie The Crying Game. You find something you love, play it a bit and then find out there is a problem. Do you just walk away from your love because of it's problems?
Old 01-18-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by s}{ammer
Someone in the xbox.com forum summed it up as loving your spouse even though they abuse you every chance they get. The online is so fun, but such a chore to get into, and I mean they can't even release a map pack right. I really like playing the classes, like War, and I even have 2000+ kills in ranked now. I really love the game, but the little problems it has are all from the developer and they just suck. Kind of reminds me of that old movie The Crying Game. You find something you love, play it a bit and then find out there is a problem. Do you just walk away from your love because of it's problems?
in that example, yes...
Old 01-18-07, 03:41 PM
Banned

No way is COD3 worse than ET on the 2600 or Superman 64...
Old 01-18-07, 06:12 PM

Is COD2 better than COD3. I played the COD2 demo and had fun.
Old 01-18-07, 06:15 PM
Retired

Yes. COD2 got great reviews, while COD3 got mediocre reviews. I think they were done by different developers as well (just the same publisher).
Old 01-18-07, 06:22 PM

I've been thinking about picking up a COD game.

Should I get the original, or CoD2?

If there's demos for either, where can I find them?
Old 01-18-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

COD2 is the better overall game. Single player is perfect, multiplayer is loads of fun.

CoD3 is a good game, it has a class system for the multiplayer which adds a lot of depth and fun. It has some great maps for multiplayer. The single player is nowhere near as good though. CoD2 single player sucks you into the story, in CoD3 it feels patched together and then just ends.

The problem with CoD3 is the lazy developer. The game has been patched at least once and multiplayer still has many issues like falling off the map and floating away through the sky and how long it takes to get a ranked match started. Then today, they released a map pack and all of us suckers who got it, lost our 800 points but you can't even play the maps since they don't show up in the game.
Old 01-18-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
No way is COD3 worse than ET on the 2600 or Superman 64...
At least the publisher of ET buried the remainder of the carts in the desert.
Old 01-18-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer CoD2 for single player, but CoD3 for online play. If I had to choose, I'd go with CoD2 but I don't play online that much.
Old 01-18-07, 11:58 PM

Are all these complaints of COD3 just for online or do run into problems just playing it offline? Is it fun off line? I don't play on line at all
Old 01-19-07, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Are all these complaints of COD3 just for online or do run into problems just playing it offline? Is it fun off line? I don't play on line at all
CoD3 single player wasn't horrible, it just wasn't as good as CoD2. I played both on the default difficulty setting (I've completed some of CoD2 on veteran). I thought CoD2 was much more challenging than CoD3, especially the ending. The hardest part of CoD3 is when you get 'stuck' on objects in the map and can't move. That didn't happen all the time, but enough to be frustrating. I also didn't care for CoD3's 'action sequences'. I don't see what is added by making me press different button combos and spin a control stick around to set a charge. I never noticed that I was vulnerable to enemy fire while I doing this stuff, so there didn't seem to be a penalty for screwing it up (not that it was easy to screw up). It just seemed goofy to me. I prefer the 'hold X to set the charge' approach that CoD2 uses. CoD3 also has you using the control sticks to row a boat and going nuts on the triggers to wrestle with Nazis (thankfully, no mud or jello is involved). All of this feels gimmicky to me although I didn't mind the spinning of the control sticks to aim mortar fire.

If you're interested in the single player campaign and you only want one WWII FPS shooter game, I would go with CoD2. It's cheaper and really has no shortcomings compared to CoD3. I'm a sucker for these types of games so I don't regret buying CoD3 at all, I just think CoD2 set the bar at a level that Treyarch's version can't quite reach.
Old 01-19-07, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gromit
If you're interested in the single player campaign and you only want one WWII FPS shooter game, I would go with CoD2. It's cheaper and really has no shortcomings compared to CoD3. I'm a sucker for these types of games so I don't regret buying CoD3 at all, I just think CoD2 set the bar at a level that Treyarch's version can't quite reach.
Thanks, I am more into the single player anyway. I will put COD2 on my list.
Old 01-19-07, 08:21 AM
Suspended

Yes, Night Trap is a much better game.
Old 01-19-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by porieux
Is COD2 better than COD3. I played the COD2 demo and had fun.
I'm enjoying COD3, but COD2 was a better game IMO. Storyline, environments and tasks were more interesting in 2, though I do enjoy the new driving missions in 3 and the graphics are a little better as well. Not much of an online player so I can't respond on that point.

MOST annoying thing on 3: unskippable cutscenes.
Old 01-19-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoy FPSs on the PC. I thought COD2 on the PC was great. I played COD3 on the Wii and completed it in a few days, just by playing for an hour or two in the evenings. I really enjoyed the game, but I couldn't justify a price tag over $20. I thought the controls were good, although it takes some getting used to. I thought the story was somewat interesting. There are 3 new driving missions and 2 tank missions. There are "branching areas" which allow you to choose the direction of attack, but it still brings you back to the same point. So for example, you can choose to go around the right side of the house or the left, or you can choose to reach a point from the top of the hill or the valley below.
Old 01-19-07, 11:04 AM

For most games I'd consider to be in the running for "officially worst game ever", I can usually tell within 5 minutes and easily stop playing within 30.

For throwing this award at a game you bought, kept, played at least a week (deduced from your mention of the pretty good free map), then bought more maps [or at least tried to], I'd say this earns the "Officially most hyperbolic thread ever made".

Of course, if you had entitled it "Officially worst download ever offered", you may indeed be correct.
Old 01-19-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
For most games I'd consider to be in the running for "officially worst game ever", I can usually tell within 5 minutes and easily stop playing within 30.

For throwing this award at a game you bought, kept, played at least a week (deduced from your mention of the pretty good free map), then bought more maps [or at least tried to], I'd say this earns the "Officially most hyperbolic thread ever made".

Of course, if you had entitled it "Officially worst download ever offered", you may indeed be correct.
Well put.
Old 01-19-07, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
COD2 is the better overall game. Single player is perfect, multiplayer is loads of fun.

CoD3 is a good game, it has a class system for the multiplayer which adds a lot of depth and fun. It has some great maps for multiplayer. The single player is nowhere near as good though. CoD2 single player sucks you into the story, in CoD3 it feels patched together and then just ends.

The problem with CoD3 is the lazy developer. The game has been patched at least once and multiplayer still has many issues like falling off the map and floating away through the sky and how long it takes to get a ranked match started. Then today, they released a map pack and all of us suckers who got it, lost our 800 points but you can't even play the maps since they don't show up in the game.

I dont know how you can say COD2 sucked you in the story. I really never thought these games had much of a story, I think COD3 single player is probably just as good or atleast almost. Multiplayer I like COD2 more, but COD3 still alot of fun
Old 01-19-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by maingon
I dont know how you can say COD2 sucked you in the story. I really never thought these games had much of a story, I think COD3 single player is probably just as good or atleast almost. Multiplayer I like COD2 more, but COD3 still alot of fun
CoD2 sucked me into the story much more than 3. Perhaps i'm very history ignorant but in 2 i felt like i was taking part in something important whereas in 3 i was more... blah...

Unskippable cutscenes in 3 killed the single player for me. Trying to play it on a higher difficulty level like Veteran and every time i died on something as simple as the first level and i had to sit through the introduction, truck getting bombed, someone lifting me over a wall. Blah.
Old 01-19-07, 03:26 PM

Are the problems being talked about with CoD3 platform specific? Does it apply to the PC version?

I got the CoD2 PC demo last night. Looks good, although even at the easiest difficulty I got killed a lot - but I'm not used to this kind of playing, so I need to adjust to it. If I can get better, I might want to buy.

Still, if I never played any CoD game, is it worth getting the original game, or should I just go with 2? Again, talking PC here.

And single player is what is most important for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.