Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Award show overkill (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Award show overkill (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Award show overkill

(note: if this has been done before i am sorry, i will close this if it has been done to death.)

Peoples choice awards
Golden Globe awards
Academy awards
Screen Actors Guild awards
CMA awards
Grammy awards
Juno awards (Canadian)
& probally more that i don't know about.

i just want to know if people hate these award shows with a passion or like them or think its time to stop talking about how good they are and make more movies.
personally i think these award shows are out of hand. the actors paycheck should be award enough in my opinion.
i have respect for surtain actors and movies but i don't want these critics telling me what the best movie of the year is cause most of the time its not the case in my mind.
in the movie department they seem to pick a movie like "Dreamgirls" & call it the best movie of the year before its even out.
in the tv department they always pick the worst show out of the bunch like this year at the golden globe awards calling "Greys Anatomy" the best tv drama.
in my opinion its overrated GARBAGE.
what do you think?
Old 01-16-07, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Half of those aren't even movie awards.
Old 01-16-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't hate them because I don't pay attention.

Those awards and shows have no influence on what I watch or buy.
Old 01-16-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I honestly only pay attention to the Oscars and Cannes. Everything else I don't have time to follow.
Old 01-16-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watch 'em, and most of the time I don't agree with their choice. However, they don't tell me what the best picture is. If I don't agree, I don't agree. Don't take what they say as fact and maybe you won't hate them so much.

I love watching them. I like to see what everyone is wearing, and what everyone looks like, and I still like to see who wins.
Old 01-16-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I want to watch, but they are always so painful to me. The jokes are really unfunny, and the speeches are so boring that I can't stand to watch, but I feel like if I don't I'm going to miss something.
Old 01-16-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dont forget the MTV movie awards and doesn't Blockbuster have a show too? Or did?

I only have time for the Oscars.
Old 01-16-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
If I do not watch them, I'm not bothered by them.
Old 01-16-07, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241
i have respect for surtain actors and movies...
Oh my.
Old 01-16-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
One of the better movie awards shows is the Independent Spirit Awards (day before the Oscars). Not only is it more relaxed but they can say what the fuck they want without getting bleeped
Old 01-16-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoy following the awards race. But just the film awards.
Old 01-16-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those award giving bodies have never stated that YOU should consider what they call the best "the best". It's entirely subjective.

Although, I'd bet that if they crowned what you thought was the best as "the best" you wouldn't be complaining in several different threads now would you?
Old 01-16-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(note: in the movie department they seem to pick a movie like "Dreamgirls" & call it the best movie of the year before its even out.
in the tv department they always pick the worst show out of the bunch like this year at the golden globe awards calling "Greys Anatomy" the best tv drama.
in my opinion its overrated GARBAGE.
what do you think?

Dreamgirls game out December 15th. You just didn't see it.

but if your not a member of the hollywood foreign press, it doesn't matter what your opinion is. thats the peoples choice award.

are these awards of any merit? no more or less than the employee of the month award you might recieve...its just people wanting to say they appreciate something you did. doesn't make you a better person, but you can be greatful someone thought of you.
Old 01-16-07, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by conscience
Those award giving bodies have never stated that YOU should consider what they call the best "the best". It's entirely subjective.

Although, I'd bet that if they crowned what you thought was the best as "the best" you wouldn't be complaining in several different threads now would you?
no i am saying that we need less award shows. sorry if i sounded like i was complaining.
Old 01-16-07, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Dreamgirls game out December 15th. You just didn't see it.

but if your not a member of the hollywood foreign press, it doesn't matter what your opinion is. thats the peoples choice award.

are these awards of any merit? no more or less than the employee of the month award you might recieve...its just people wanting to say they appreciate something you did. doesn't make you a better person, but you can be greatful someone thought of you.
i thought dreamgirls opened christmas day.
Old 01-16-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
i thought dreamgirls opened christmas day.
In order for it to be eligible for Academy Award consideration, it had to open in limited release. It went wide on X-mas day.

If you don't like awards shows, why do you watch? I'm in the industry and I don't watch them, therefore they don't bother me. You're not being forced to watch, you do have the freedom of choice.
Old 01-17-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

personally i think these award shows are out of hand. the actors paycheck should be award enough in my opinion.

Well any organization I've been a part of has given out awards. Whether its a company, a profession, a school, sports league, or a charity. Simply because actors do it too seems normal to me, and they're televised because people want to watch them.

That being said, no one will agree with all the choices.

I'd also add, that the only "official" movie awards are the Oscars (at least domestically). The rest are just private organizations choosing to give out their own awards. In which case if you think there are too many award shows, you should complain to MTV and Blockbuster, not about the Actors themselves.

Last edited by Jericho; 01-17-07 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-17-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
What I watch:

MOVIES
Academy Awards

TV
Emmy Awards

MUSIC
Grammy Awards
American Music Awards

MIX
Golden Globes

I used to LOVE the MTV Video Awards, but I gave up on it. Genre awards (soul train, CMAs) do nothing for me. SAG awards & Director's Guild just aren't on my radar. I never gort into People's Choice as it seems the winners know their award ahead of time (and that's no fun).
Old 01-17-07, 11:00 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I'll only watch if they are in HD
Old 01-17-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a kid I always dreamed of going to the Oscars. These days it's such a joke and popularity contest most of the time that I don't even watch the show on TV. I'd rather watch the MTV Movie Awards because they treat it like a joke and they don't make it out to be something real or serious.
Old 01-17-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I like watching the Oscars. I often disagree with them, but I like watching anyway.

I haven't seen any other awards show for probably 30 years, and I don't really follow who wins.
Old 01-18-07, 02:36 AM

I watch most film award shows but like almost everyone else I pay special attention to the Oscars. Often because I hope someone who I enjoyed is recognized for their work. This year I'm especially pulling for Helen Mirren in the Queen, even though it appears she has her award all but won already. Also cinematography in Children of Men is deserving of multiple awards and I was disappointed with the HFPA not recognizing the film at all. That said you don't have to agree. Was Crash the best film of last night, not in my mind.

The other benefit of the Oscars is limited run films like The Queen and Last King of Scotland get much wider releases for their Oscar push.
Old 01-20-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YAWN -- SAG, Golden Globes, Oscars... Why...

Why am I so disinterested in the "Awards Season" this year? The SAG awards came and went. Same is true with regard to the Golden Globes. Now, whenever I hear "Oscar" I quite literally shrug.

Is any other movie lover here as "over it" as I am? -- due to the revelation last year that the voting is usually rigged and most of the judges not only let their personal prejudices interfere, some actually don't even bother to view all the nominated movies!!!

I had hoped my feelings would have changed by now, but alas Oscar is dead for me. Unfortunately he seems to have taken the other awards with him!
Old 01-20-07, 05:52 PM

The guy who started this thread four days ago agrees with you.

-JP
Old 01-20-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Aaron of AIM
The SAG awards don't air until next Sunday.
I told you I'm not paying attention to these B.S. awards ceremonies and am disinterested to the point of not even knowing when the damn things are airing, if they've already aired!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.