DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumor: Capcom now belongs to MS

Wow is all I can say, if this is true.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/01...chased-capcom/
Old 01-12-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course I'll wait to see this mentioned by a little more mainstream site before believing it. I'm really hoping it's not true personally, well, that, or MS at least let's them publish games for DS still.
Old 01-12-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shumway
Of course I'll wait to see this mentioned by a little more mainstream site before believing it. I'm really hoping it's not true personally, well, that, or MS at least let's them publish games for DS still.
If I am not mistaken MS allows the companies to still make games for portables because they do not YET have one.
Old 01-12-07, 08:26 PM

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23730

Check out that link.......
Old 01-12-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
If I am not mistaken MS allows the companies to still make games for portables because they do not YET have one.
I know that's the case w/ Rare, but, you never know when Microsoft will decide to change their tune, especially considering Gate's new admission of Nintendo as their main competition... even if that's just console.
Old 01-12-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
As much as I would like to see MS take Sony down a peg or two, and this would do it, I hope this is not true. Not sure if they have anything in the pipeline for Wii(other than RE:UC), but that would be a big loss regardless. Even if you only look at their catelog and VC potential. It would be bad for everyone.
Old 01-12-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dismissed as false by GameSpot (a fairly reputable gaming site):

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...stnews;title;0
Old 01-12-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I first read this, my first thought was "ok, big deal, Capcom = Megaman, that wont help MS much, if any". I totally blocked out all of the other great games from Capcom, and instantly thought about the oldschool Megaman games.

No matter what ever comes out of Capcom, I'll always think of those games first when I hear that company mentioned.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 01-12-07 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-12-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Dismissed as false by GameSpot (a fairly reputable gaming site):

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...stnews;title;0
I don't think I will dismiss it just yet. If no announcement is made in the next couple days it's prolly false, but there is a lot of buzz about this. Watch it be fake but MS end up buying them because of all the buzz it's created. That would be crazy.
Old 01-12-07, 11:29 PM
Retired

Hope this isn't true as I'd love to see what they can do with the Wii.
Old 01-12-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Hope this isn't true as I'd love to see what they can do with the Wii.
Yeah, I am not sure how I feel about this yet. I would be surprised if something like this didn't happen now or soon. If you think about it, right now Sony is not looking so hot and something like this could be the final nail in Sony's coffin for this generation. It would make things interesting and at the same time, from the point of view of a 360 owner, it would make it less likely that in a year or two I would have to go buy a PS3 for some great game like Dead Rising 3 or Resident Evil 6 or something. I don't know, I guess I don't see this as a real threat to take over the entire industry, especially with all the momentum the Wii has right now.
Old 01-13-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Losing Capcom wouldn't even be close to the "nail in the coffin" for Sony. What a ridiculous statement.

Now if it were Konami or Square, then yah, Sony would be fucked.
Old 01-13-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't put much stock into this rumor.
Old 01-13-07, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Setzer
Losing Capcom wouldn't even be close to the "nail in the coffin" for Sony. What a ridiculous statement.

Now if it were Konami or Square, then yah, Sony would be fucked.
It would mean that Resident Evil 5 would not appear on the PS3, and that would hurt...
Old 01-13-07, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really glad that Gamespot dismissed this as false. I'm no more a fan of console exclusive developers than I am of sports league exclusivity in gaming.
Old 01-13-07, 10:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I wouldn't put much stock into this rumor.
While this particular story has proven false, it is true that for most of Q4 2006 Microsoft has been trying to get their hands on Capcom. I don't see them stopping anytime soon. Doesn't mean they will get the company, but they're persistent buggers.
Old 01-13-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, the story hasn't been proven false from what I hear. While I haven't read the gamespot article fully I understand from other sites that Capcom simply dismissed this as a three year old rumor and they didn't actually say they were not being bought. Also, I am sort of shocked that the folks here would believe anything the PR team at any of these companies has to say anymore. We have all seen it time and again, especially concerning buyouts, where the companies have to keep it mum until the deal is done so they lie about it.

As for sony's coffin, sony losing DMC4, RE5 and all the other Capcom games would be such a loss to a company that already appears to have lost almost all it's main exclusive games. There are even rumors that FF will be muliplatform from here on out. So when you combine losing some of the biggest games Sony has going for it to 360 exclusivity and then the majority of the rest of big games going to the 360 also there immediately becomes no reason to shell out the extra money for a PS3 when the games are on the cheaper 360. If that isn't a nail in the PS3's coffin, which Sony is relying on to keep it's other businesses afloat, I don't know what is.
Old 01-13-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just spoke with my Capcom liason. She said that it's the long running rumor that surfaces when they release titles. The same thing happened with Dead Rising apparently.
Old 01-13-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I just spoke with my Capcom liason. She said that it's the long running rumor that surfaces when they release titles. The same thing happened with Dead Rising apparently.

Did she say there is no way this has, or will in the next couple weeks, happened? Cause that is what is happening with the comments to gamespot, everyone is taking it basically as Capcom not dismissing this as false, just playing on words by calling it a long running rumor. We know it's a long running rumor. What we need to hear is No Capcom is not being, nor has it been, sold to Microsoft or anyone else. Otherwise this rumor will not die.
Old 01-13-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

she just said what I mentioned above. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 01-13-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would be extremely hesitant to consider anything a nail in the coffin of the PS3 this early in its life cycle. Even if it lost all of its non-Sony exclusive games, people would still end up picking it up, it might take price drops, but, it would happen.
Old 01-13-07, 04:48 PM

As Agent Smith said in the Matrix Trilogy..... "Its Inevitable..."