Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Motostorm

Old 01-03-07, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motostorm

One of those games where you can almost feel your stomach drop while playing it I'll bet...

http://gameinvasion.comcast.net/game...rstorm_offroad
Old 01-03-07, 05:37 PM

Yep. I played this demo on my PS3. A freind of mine commented on just that. She said she felt like her stomach dropped after a big jump.
The game seems kinda cool but i'm wondering if it will hold my interest long.
Old 01-03-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was thinking the same thing, When I played the demo at Best Buy It looks great but doesnt feel like a real game. Feels more like a tech demo. It wasnt very fun but looked very cool
Old 01-03-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess it's already out in Japan, the guys on the 1UPYours podcast were talking about it. One had imported it, but said there wasn't much there he hoped they would add content before it comes out here.

I've tried the demo at Target on the kiosk (turning on the six axis functionality) but when I downloaded the demo for the PS3, but on that one you can't turn the six axis on/off.
Old 01-03-07, 09:48 PM

I don't know what Demo you downloaded but you sure can on mine???
Old 01-03-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I couldn't select the setup menu like I could in the kiosk demo, maybe it was just me then. I seem to change the controller from 1 to 2 somehow, and couldn't figure out why nothing worked. I only had the system over the weekend so I never did try it again.
Old 01-03-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
CheapyD over at cheapassgamer.com wrote a scathing revew of the Japanese version.

Apparently the Japanese version has one race mode. That's it. No arcade mode. No multiplayer. One race mode.

The US version is supposed to have multiplayer. It would be interesting if they added modes. If not, sounds like a pretty shallow game. The 1Up guys seem convinced the US version will be different.
Old 01-04-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the game looks good. I played the demo and enjoyed it...I'll have to try it again though. I did NOT use the SixAxis control scheme though...wasn't even aware of it.

I cannot believe the Jap version only having the one mode though...that is just wrong. Glad they are using Blu-Ray to the FULL potential
Old 01-04-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've played the demo in stores and was completely underwhelmed. The sense of speed wasn't there. The game felt a bit soulless, like F-Zero X on the Nintendo 64 (or, at times, PGR3 on the 360).

It also felt like the framerate was chugging. There wasn't any slowdown but something just felt wrong. It may have been the physics or the gravity, but something didn't feel right. I mean, yes, it doesn't look like the E3 target render but it seems like it feels different too.

My friend said that the online Motorstorm demo is completely different. This was a game I was going to buy the PS3 for but now I'll need to wait for good reviews for it.
Old 01-04-07, 12:07 PM

Demo definitely has Sixaxis option. I tried it but didn't like it- Wii Excite Truck feels more fluid with the motion control.
Old 01-04-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by warcp
Demo definitely has Sixaxis option. I tried it but didn't like it- Wii Excite Truck feels more fluid with the motion control.
I played Excite Truck for about four hours last night...so much fun.

I've only played the kiosk demo of Motostorm thus far, but it just didn't do much for me. It was gorgeous, no doubt, but beyond that, it just wasn't very interesting. I might as well have been playing a PS1.
Old 01-04-07, 09:17 PM

I imported it from Play-Asia a couple of days ago. Just got my PS3 and have pretty much been playing resistance though.... I did try it and it looks & controls really good...
Old 01-04-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts
CHeapy reviewed it at CAG and says it's beautiful but incredibly shallow and therefore a major disappointment. Also no online play, but that may be addressed before a stateside release.
Here's the review

I've played the demo at several places and am stunned that a game that gorgeous has such a chuggy unsteady framerate when there are a lot of cars onscreen. What's up with that?
Old 01-05-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game looks fanstastic and seems to play pretty well if the demo's to be believed. Hopefully, when the game is released here, there will be more options available.
Old 01-05-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I wasn't a fan of the demo, the game somehow felt old after the first lap.
Old 01-05-07, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
I've played the demo at several places and am stunned that a game that gorgeous has such a chuggy unsteady framerate when there are a lot of cars onscreen. What's up with that?

"A Sony rep has claimed to Destructoid that demo PS3 units in kiosks across the country were built to freeze up on purpose. From the article: "We do that so that people won't play it all day long," he explained. "Specifically during Motorstorm, we made it freeze up a lot."
Original Link : Here

I seriously doubt it was intentional. Someone needs to Gag any Sony Exec if they go near anyone in the Press....
Old 01-05-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts
I was referring to the frame rate, not freezing up. Is the frame rate better in the home download of the demo?