Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Problem with cable TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with cable TV

Not sure if this should go here or in TV (or even somewhere else).

We recently moved into a new apartment and had to get digital cable. Every once in a while, the picture will sort of "jump" (for lack of a better word) and there will be flashes of lines on the screen, but they look like analog glitches to me, not digital. I thought perhaps the TiVo was doing something, but this never happens on any TiVo menus or screens. We also have a second digital box in the bedroom and the picture never does this, so it can't be the signal from the wall (they all come from the same line).

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.
Old 12-31-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

probably packet collisions on TWCNYC's network

i get it once in a while as well. You can always take your box to the store in Queens Center Mall and they will exchange it on the spot. If you want they have HD boxes for no extra charge over the DTV boxes.
Old 12-31-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh, really? This is already the second box they gave us. What a hassle. I wish they would go back to offering an analog package; that's all we need.

But if your suggestion is the correct one, then shouldn't it happen on the second TV as well?
Old 01-01-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Cable is way overpriced and most have bad cutomer service. I switched to DISH and paid one third the price of cable for the same channels.
Old 01-02-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A few months after I got digital cable, I started getting tiling on certain channels. Some had just a little, other channels were totally unwatchable. I had a cable guy come out on three separate occasions and got three different answers. After a few months, the tiling stopped. Then it started again. I realized that both times the tiling started in the early summer as the temperature was above 75 degrees regularly. It happened for another 3 summers. Fortunately, I only lost channels I rarely watched. This past summer, there was no tiling at all.
Old 01-02-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I've decided I'm going to fix the problem by switching to Cablevision. I've had Time Warner for about two weeks and I'm already sick of them.
Old 01-02-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
you are lucky that you have 2 cable companies to choose between....