Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any word on a better carrying case for the Wii?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the first things I did when I bought a PS2 was get the carrying case for it so I could take it to work and back. Compartments for discs, memory cards, cords, etc. It was great.

So when I bought my Wii, one of the first things I did was grab the carrying case for it... and I promptly put it down. What is this piece of junk? It looks too small to carry everything, and there's no defined holders for the various components. It looks like they just sewed together a shiny cloth bag.

So is there any news on someone making a better quality carrying case, or is there something else out on the market already that will work?
Old 12-28-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Having never bought a carrying case for any other console, I'm not an expert on them, but I did buy the G-Pak one from Gamestop and it has served me well. Lots of room for the accessories, cables, and keeps the console itself snug.
Old 12-28-06, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I was looking at them and they did seem cheap. I still have my Gamecube one so I will just use that when I need.
Old 12-28-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always wondered who bought these things...and why.

I guess taking it to work makes sense if you are in some "on call" capacity.
Old 12-28-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
I always wondered who bought these things...and why.

I guess taking it to work makes sense if you are in some "on call" capacity.
In my case I own my own business, and I'm there more often than I am at home. Since there's a lot of down time between customers, having my games there gives me something to do.
Old 12-28-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They came out with those HEAVY game cases that can be used for 360, PS3, and the Wii (or anything else, really)

Its like a felt/velvet on the inside, and EXTREMELY durable on the outside. It was 60 bucks (got the Gears of War one) and it definitely seems like it was worth the invenstment, considering how much I lug these systems around
Old 12-28-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I picked up that shitty Wii case just because I knew I would constantly be bringing it back and forth from my girlfriend's and it is nearly worthless. Surprisingly though I was able to fit the system, cables, 2 controllers, and 4 games inside. However you have to arrange everything perfectly. I was looking for something better, but every store had the piece of crap you are talking about.
Old 12-28-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
They came out with those HEAVY game cases that can be used for 360, PS3, and the Wii (or anything else, really)

Its like a felt/velvet on the inside, and EXTREMELY durable on the outside. It was 60 bucks (got the Gears of War one) and it definitely seems like it was worth the invenstment, considering how much I lug these systems around
Thanks, I'll have to look into that as a last resort - it's certianly better than double-bagging my Wii in two plastic grocery bags.

I really would like to get one like Sony made for the PS2, though, because it's compact (just the right size for the PS2) and has a shoulder strap - which is great because my arms are usually full of other things when I get to work, so I can just sling the PS2 around my neck.
Old 12-28-06, 08:25 AM

After packing my 360 in that case with an assortment of games, it does get a bit heavy.

The case seems like it would survive a fire, plane crash, or the unfortunate 'fall-down-the-stairs' which definitely makes it seem worth it
Old 12-28-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't the PS2 Slim about the same size as a Wii?

Heck, your PS2 case might just work perfectly if it's made for the slim version.
Old 12-28-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you guys talking about the Wii Sling Bag? I ended up buying the ALS Wii Messenger Bag at Target locally as it seemed to have more room than the sling bag, and it also comes in the 'special' Zelda edition.

Old 12-28-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a regular messenger bag I got for $25. It fits the Wii and even has a pocket bar sensor (like Edison's). I wish the controllers have an off switch. With the gloves on, it's hard to take the batteries out of them and when they rustle in the bag and hit anything, they go on. This drains the batteries pretty quickly.
Old 12-28-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a pretty sweet bag, Edison. How much was it? How many remotes will it hold?
Old 12-28-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Isn't the PS2 Slim about the same size as a Wii?

Heck, your PS2 case might just work perfectly if it's made for the slim version.
I tried that - the PS2 slim is a little smaller (actually thinnner). Also, the case isn't designed to hold 3 controllers (wiimote, nunchuck and classic) along with the power cord with the large block on the end.

That case Edison posted pics of looks really nice... I might have to stop by Target and check it out.
Old 12-28-06, 10:29 AM

yea, thats where I saw that case (zelda one)

that heavy duty one I have can fit all 12 of my games, all my controllers, accessories, and cables, and still have some spare room

for the Wii, i pack the games around it to keep it snug in place, then place a towel on top so theres no gaps
Old 12-28-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I think the one edison posted is $40.
Old 12-28-06, 12:11 PM

wow, that is a lot
Old 12-28-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think the one edison posted is $40.
It was actually $29.99 at Target, they had another bag that was $39.99 but I forget what it was called.

Originally Posted by Nefarious
That's a pretty sweet bag, Edison. How much was it? How many remotes will it hold?
I haven't packed it all in there but there is a divider between the system and AC/controller pocket. I'm guessing probably 4 wiimotes, or 2 wiimotes/2 nunchucks.

Last edited by Edison; 12-28-06 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate

I have this as well. Not the GOW version though, the black/orange "hazard" one, pretty much the same thing, just $10 less. I originally used it to transport my 360 from my house to the gf's. originally I didn't think it would do the job, but it was able to hold a 360 w/hdd, power brick and cable, vga cable, 4 wireless controllers, and some miscellanous small items such as a Live headset and wireless adapter. However, now that I have a 2nd 360 at her house I now use the case to transport the Wii.

The case has more than enough room for the Wii. It holds the Wii w/ base, 4 remots, 4 nunchuks, 1 wavebird, 1 classic, power adapter, video cable. I need to pick up one of those 10cd wallets to hold my games and if need be to act as more padding for the Wii, the foam inserts keep the Wii pretty snug anyway. My only complaint is that the case is a bit bulky, so if space is an issue you may want to consider a messenger bag or backpack. For $50 though it does what it's made to do pretty well.